Best/Worst What-Ifs in Video Games

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
There's been a lot of What-If Scenarios in DB vidya over the years and decades. Which ones stand out for being good or being :trash?

As far as my picks go...

Best

Goku's Alternate Boo Arc (Budokai 3) - Finally a Goku/Vegeta fusion can get the job done, unlike any other time aside from Janemba.

Oob's Alternate Story (Budokai 3) - Good to see Oob succeeding Galu as Earth's saviour rather than having Dragon Ball Goku Time again.

Piccolo's Story (Supersonic Warriors) - Using fusion in order to bring Pickle Man back into relevance is something Super ought to do. It make more sense than him getting close to God level with just regular training.

Fateful Brothers (Budokai Tenkaichi 2) - Gives a good insight into Raditz's character and how more complex it could've been should he have joined the Zet-Senshi.

Destined Rivals (Budokai Tenkaichi 2) - Has a more realistic outcome than most other What-Ifs. Shame it implies that things would've been better had Gohan done nothing in the Boo Arc.

Unexpected Saviour (Budokai Tenkaichi 3) - Nice that someone remembered something as convenient as the Akkumite Beam.

The Top Earthling Battle (Raging Blast) - Nice to see Kuririn getting the respect he deserves.

Worst

Cell's Dream (Budokai 1) - It was all a dream, the cheapest and most hollow ending any story can have.

Tenshinhan's Alternate Boo Arc (Budokai 3) - Other than reminding us that Kuririn > Tenshithands, was there any point in Yamcha being the final boss of this scenario? Very anticlimactic.

Gohan goes to Future Trunks' timeline (Supersonic Warriors 2) - Exactly how are 3 Dr. Geros supposed to be Gero's supercomputer's trump card after the death of Future Perfect Cell?

The Plan to Conquer Earth (Budokai Tenkaichi) - No explanation of how the villains broke out of Hell, making the entire scenario an unexplained mess.

Beautiful Treachery (Budokai Tenkaichi 2) - I don't know who wanted a What-If of Zarbon being the ultimate narcissist, but it completely falls apart when he's too dumb to wish for immortality to compliment him.

Galactic Battle (Budokai Tenkaichi 3) - So Vegeta's an adult in this scenario, yet the other Saiyans are still alive? So did Freeza delay his destruction of Planet Vegeta? If so, where is Nappa? Or Raditz? The scenario would've worked fine with just King Vegeta, Seripa and Bardock.

Vegeta's Humiliation (Raging Blast) - Just a drawn out version of Vegeta's filler nightmare when he was trying to achieve SSJ. Not even a What-If, really.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Personally I really enjoyed all what ifs from the original Budokai, especially Cell's one. The bipolar Vegeta one was also gr9.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Merged the threads due to them being near enough the same.

Also, I'd update the OP by saying Fateful Brothers from BT2 is definitely my favourite. It's plot isn't that good when it relies purely on amnesia for Raditz just getting back to square one before going through any development, but it's still more ambitious than any other What-If I can recall.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I also think another part of the reason I really enjoyed Budokai 1's what ifs was because the cut-scenes felt like actual scenes that you could see being animated, instead of just two characters standing and talking without anything happening or the speech-bubble thing.

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
There was one in Tenkaichi Tag Team I believe where you play as a disobedient Saibaman and help the Z fighters against the Saiyans. :king :king :king

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Mystic Macho said:
There was one in Tenkaichi Tag Team I believe where you play as a disobedient Saibaman and help the Z fighters against the Saiyans. :king :king :king
There's also voice files that suggest Budokai 3 was meant to have a story mode for the Saibaiman where one of them teams up with the Z-Warriors, goes with them to Namek and defeats both Reacoom and Ginyu.

Too bad we didn't get every character having their own story mode as was seemingly planned originally, since the voice files had some cool What-Ifs such as Shin killing Dabura and Boo to avenge his fallen Kaioshin peers as well as killing Broly, Kid Goku being sent into the Cell Arc and fighting Broly or Future Trunks' timeline coming under threat when Broly arrives (damn, this game loves Broly more than Pakl hates him) which explains why in Broly's story mode, Gohan referred to him as the Super Saiyan Future Trunks warned about.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I never got that they were warned about a SSJ that never happened on-screen at-least and if it happened how did Trunks defeat Broly in the future?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Fantastische Hure said:
I never got that they were warned about a SSJ that never happened on-screen at-least
When you first fight Gohan in Broly's story mode, he says "Is this the Super Saiyan Future Trunks warned us about?"

and if it happened how did Trunks defeat Broly in the future?
Based on the voice clip, it seems Trunks was at best only able to fend him off temporarily before going back to the past to warn about him.

SaifullJabiru

I totally feel you on the What-Ifs in video games. I haven't played a lot of the DB games, but I love the concept of exploring alternate storylines. I agree with you on the best ones, especially Goku's Alternate Boo Arc and Fateful Brothers.

IshayaBehas

I agree with you on the best and worst What-If scenarios in video games. Personally, I'm a big fan of the What-If scenarios in the original Budokai game, especially Cell's. It added an interesting twist to the Cell Saga and provided an alternate, surprising, and satisfying ending. As for the worst scenarios, I agree that Cell's Dream in Budokai 1 was a major letdown. It felt like a cheap cop-out and didn't add anything to the story. The Plan to Conquer Earth in Budokai Tenkaichi was also a mess, with no clear explanation of how the villains broke out of Hell. Also, I recently came across an article on how to make $100 fast by playing games. It might be worth checking out if you're interested in making some quick cash while playing your favorite genre games.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
There was one where Raditz lost his memory and became a Z Fighter. I liked that one.

SaiyanEvolution

In the video games in general , I believe something that dragonball has neglected is elemental details. I don’t remember fighting on a stage in a multiplayer fighter where it was raining , snowing or the wind was blowing hard. I think they should add that to future dragonball games.