Do You Like Dragon Ball Super?

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Looking back on the anime in its entirety, the four modern films and the manga. Do you enjoy the Dragon Ball Super era?

I've only watched Battle of Gods, and maybe 20 or 30 episodes of the show (skipping the FNF adaptation since that's trash) and I tapped out after the first universal tournament. Looking briefly at some of the new characters and transformations introduced, I think they look kinda stupid. Gohan and Piccolo from the new movie look like a parody. I do plan on watching this movie soon though so I'll reserve judgment on that.

From what I watched, I found Super to be pretty boring and not enjoyable, and I think aesthetically it just looked pretty bad. I can't speak to the rest of it past 2016 or so though. I can't see myself wanting to watch it though.

Natasha Romanoff

High Class Warrior
I only liked due to the TOP and outside of that, there are episodes that are frankly not valuable at all. Outisde from that, the two initial arcs were a mess and just got saved due to Goku vs Beerus fight on top of having bad animation (some episodes), the Champa arc is boring until Goku vs Hit & the Goku Black Saga is horrible due to the many contradictions and PIS being in there. Broly & Super Hero has nothing to actually care about but I would've liked if Gogeta killed Broly.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Nah. It feels like fake Dragon Ball that was forced to continue for the money alone. There's no passion or care written into the story.

It’s sad because, at least in the movies and the manga, there is passion, these guys just suck at it. Toriyama said in 2009 (I think) that he’s too attached to Dragon Ball to ever let go of it. Toyotaro used to be a fan doing his own stories, he just doesn’t have enough talent to go above fanfiction level.

I’d say RoF is the only “passionless” movie, because AT wrote it based on what western fans want rather than what he wanted.

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
It’s sad because, at least in the movies and the manga, there is passion, these guys just suck at it. Toriyama said in 2009 (I think) that he’s too attached to Dragon Ball to ever let go of it. Toyotaro used to be a fan doing his own stories, he just doesn’t have enough talent to go above fanfiction level.

I’d say RoF is the only “passionless” movie, because AT wrote it based on what western fans want rather than what he wanted.
I think Toyotarou is incredibly talented. He works on a deadline and with story beats given to him by Toriyama so I doubt he has free reign to was write anything. Even so, he was never a professional mangaka or writer, so I think he's done incredible work considering that.

Warmmedown

Elite
No. I skipped through U6 and ToP (didn't finish ToP, U6 I'm unsure), not watched the rest. The only parts I like are the comedy bits with Vegeta and Vegeta relationship with Cabba. ToP is ok for some brainless action to watch, but I'd never watch it if I didn't like DBZ. It's cool that Bulma's voice actor got to go out still doing her role and that the franchise is getting new fans.

I remember sitting down to watch the first episode with someone (another dbz fan, cousin-in-law basically) and feeling awkward about telling him there was new dbz coming out, cuz it was boring.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I think Toyotarou is incredibly talented. He works on a deadline and with story beats given to him by Toriyama so I doubt he has free reign to was write anything. Even so, he was never a professional mangaka or writer, so I think he's done incredible work considering that.
A-lot of how well a manga turns-out also has to do with editors. If AT had free reign during the early(-ish) days of DragonBall…for one there’d be no Cell, but Android #19 & #20 as villains.

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
A-lot of how well a manga turns-out also has to do with editors. If AT had free reign during the early(-ish) days of DragonBall…for one there’d be no Cell, but Android #19 & #20 as villains.
That's true. I've heard about his editor feedback on that. I think Cell is an iconic villain, arguably the best or maybe second best to Vegeta.

Hitrule

Looking back on the anime in its entirety, the four modern films and the manga. Do you enjoy the Dragon Ball Super era?

I've only watched Battle of Gods, and maybe 20 or 30 episodes of the show (skipping the FNF adaptation since that's trash) and I tapped out after the first universal tournament. Looking briefly at some of the new characters and transformations introduced, I think they look kinda stupid. Gohan and Piccolo from the new movie look like a parody. I do plan on watching this movie soon though so I'll reserve judgment on that.

From what I watched, I found Super to be pretty boring and not enjoyable, and I think aesthetically it just looked pretty bad. I can't speak to the rest of it past 2016 or so though. I can't see myself wanting to watch it though.
I like the concepts, execution for most things was dogshit though, just like GT.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I dislike it heavily. Only concepts that had potential were the idea of a rogue evil God and the Tournament of Power, everything was handled poorly and stuff like the Molestation Master Guru ritual (or the DB equivalent) and a pair of lowest-tier Dragon Balls bringing people into UI tier+ relevance is just ridiculously retarded. I would've dropped it straight after the FT arc if it weren't called Dragon Ball, and the Granolah arc still made me drop it. I haven't consistently read it since the first chapter of the Super Hero prequel arc, and I'd rather get a lipo suction done on my already skinny legs while not sedated than reread the atrocity that is Moro (which is worse than anything in GT imo).

Theallpowerfulpuipui

Super Elite
It's crap, but the Black Saga kicks ass. (Just like how GT had Baby.)

So even if Dragon Ball has been a finished franchise since Buu, it always has a puncher's chance of doing something that entertains you.