Favourite Pokemon Game

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
In terms of original games (no remake or third version) I'd say Black 2 and White 2. While I haven't finished it yet, I can appreciate the improvements on BW, and the post game is very extensive.

Third versions: Platinum is the best, hands down. It renders Diamond and Pearl completely obsolete.

Including remakes: HeartGold and SoulSilver, to me, are the best Pokémon games period. Gen 4 graphics, music and mechanics but with Gen 2 story and setting.

Overall HG/SS > Platinum > Black 2 White 2 > Emerald >> all

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
That’s funny, because I can’t decide between FR/LG and Emerald.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
I've come to realize that every single Pokemon game has some facet to it that I really dislike that another game(s) typically lacks, and that's made this question harder and harder over the years.

I agree with the general consensus that the best few are BW, BW2, HGSS, Platinum, and Emerald, but beyond that it's hard to say.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
I've come to realize that every single Pokemon game has some facet to it that I really dislike that another game(s) typically lacks, and that's made this question harder and harder over the years.

I agree with the general consensus that the best few are BW, BW2, HGSS, Platinum, and Emerald, but beyond that it's hard to say.
I agree. I tend to like Gold and Silver better than Crystal now for example, because they focus on Generation 1 Pokemon more than Crystal does, I like Mareep better than Phanpy and Teddiursa now, etc.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I agree. I tend to like Gold and Silver better than Crystal now for example, because they focus on Generation 1 Pokemon more than Crystal does, I like Mareep better than Phanpy and Teddiursa now, etc.
The overt focus on Gen 1 Pokemon was the Johto games' biggest flaw other than the terrible level curve. Johto Pokemon have the least presence out of all the first 4 generations, Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon got way better treatment esp with Platinum's expanded Sinnoh dex and ORAS' Megas.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Hell even in Gold/Silver's opening the only damn Johto Pokemon are the starters lmao, and Charizard finished it off

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
When you consider that Gold and Silver is like a dump game for the Pokemon that didn't make it into Red and Blue though, it makes sense. LOL.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
There are Pokemon like that in all generations. Hell, Rhydon was the first Pokemon ever conceived, that's why the default sprite for Pokemon looks like him.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Plus it's pretty disgusting to not see Falkner use Hoothoot/Noctowl instead of Pidgey/Pidgeotto, Bugsy only use Metapod, Kakuna and Scyther and Morty only use the Gastly line when there's a damn Johto Ghost Pokemon in the goddamn dex (Misdreavus). Pokemon Special remedied this by having Falkner own a Noctowl and Skarmory, Bugsy own a Heracross and Morty a Misdreavus.