Gear 5 reveal

Future Warrior

Elite
After over a year, how do we still feel about it?

I quite like Gear 5 as a form, and I'm not super bothered by the Mythical Zoan/Sun God reveal. I simply hate the lack of foreshadowing to it, literally only referenced during the raid itself. And the way Luffy achieved it was the definition of an asspull.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
Luffy has always been able to do things a parmecia fruit shouldn't. The human human fruit was even brought up in an SBS like 20 years ago. It was also hinted at in the Oden flashback.

But I mean is this really different than the SSJ legend in DB?

As for the execution of the form itself, it's better with the sound effects. It really leans into the loony toons and tom and jerry inspiration. I also love the way Luffy's entire body is animated when the lines are constantly moving.

Future Warrior

Elite
But I mean is this really different than the SSJ legend in DB?

I wouldn't compare the two. The Nika reveal is a much more significant reveal as it recontextualizes what we thought we knew about Luffy's powers and as an individual.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
I wouldn't compare the two. The Nika reveal is a much more significant reveal as it recontextualizes what we thought we knew about Luffy's powers and as an individual.
This honestly reminds me more of when Naruto learned to control the Nine Tails than it does SSJ Goku.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
I literally changes nothing about him as an individual. It actually causes his ability to just randomly make friends with everyone and everything part of the world building.

It's similar to the SSJ legend in regards to how long we knew about it narrative before it was revealed.