Gen 6 was pretty good

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
At the time is was really cool to see the Pokémon in full 3D. The music and the scenery in Kalos were very kewl, and it was quite enjoyable despite the lack of difficulty...

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Mengde said:
despite the lack of difficulty...
Until you play without the EXP. Share :panties

X/Y certainly had their problems such as its cookie-cutter plot being a disappointment after Unova tried to change the formula a bit and the Looker mission, despite being okay, being the most the game had as far as post-game content (beyond the typical Legendary catching). Still, it is severely underrated with what it brought to the franchise such as the Fairy type changing the game for the better, its version of the GTS being by far the best in the franchise and its 3D take on the series being nowhere near as flawed as Gen 8's. Quite a few of the new Pokemon were some really cool additions both in design and usage (even if Greninja got milked by GF almost as much as Charizard) and the additional pieces of lore it provided did a good job making the franchise's continuity a lot more cohesive. The way the EXP. Share was handled here and in Gen 7 also allowed for you to play the game how you wanted unlike with Gen 8, though more so here than Gen 7 as the huge level spikes later in the game made it potentially the hardest main series game if playing without it.
It's a shame that Game Freak's schedule and marketing demanded that what would've been either the third version or sequels to be scrapped in favour of working on Gen 7 quicker than the time between prior gens, considering how much untapped potential many areas of Kalos had.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I've actually never played much of it. I don't think I've completed any game past gen 4. I should probably do that at some point.

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Super Saiyan said:
I've actually never played much of it. I don't think I've completed any game past gen 4. I should probably do that at some point.
Start a fresh save on Black or White and enjoy the music. :galu

Megas are my favourite modern gimmick. It seems like somewhat of a natural progression rather than making the Mons massive with a pink hue.

Six Trails

Elite
Legend
Admin
I don't know if Gen 6 is universally hated or something but I quite enjoyed it. I thought mega evolutions were pretty cool too.

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Six Trails said:
I don't know if Gen 6 is universally hated or something but I quite enjoyed it. I thought mega evolutions were pretty cool too.
Opinions vary over time. Consensus seems to be Gen 2 as the peak and 3 and 4 being good, while 5 is a contentious generation and 6 is viewed as too easy with a crappy story.

I think Gen 7 and 8 are probably more negatively received online but I'm not so sure that's the majority opinion

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Gameplay-wise, Gen 6 was probably the best generation with a readily accessible, great GTS system and no faggy gimmicks like Gigantamax or Z-move crystals. I agree the story was shit though. The villain was such complete trash that he was somehow better in the anime than in the games :cena