Goku's gi color

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
It was red in the anime and orange in the colored manga, right?

Would orange shirt be more official here? At least in the black and white manga I don't remember anyone referencing it.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, as I don't pay much attention to artwork details, did Goku's logo of Kaio-sama (formerly Kame-sennin) disappear from the Cell saga onwards?

I remember that when I was a kid I'd always associate the presence of the logo of the master as meaning the episodes were old haha

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
0302-009.png

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
The color of DBZ releases is from aged film stock and bad color choices from Funimation releases. DBZ Kai had better colors, but not the same as the broadcasts. I think the manga made it more pure orange while generally the anime was more red-orange tinted. The red was more cranked up in the Funimation releases.

The_Authority

Low Class Warrior
Attached is Akira Toriyama's drawing of Goku where he mixed the colors in himself. It's like a light orange gi--pretty much what we see on the manga covers.

Three full colored pages in the Kanzenban and VizBigs are Toriyama's actual colors, but there are some colored pages that use a very limited pallette--those are the ones that have Goku's gi in full red. While it's nice to have those, they are inaccurate to how the characters were envisioned.

The only really good source of the intended colors from the anime would come from the animation cels, though there are nuances to that also. I think that there was an expectation that the colors would be altered for the broadcast, so the cels might have been painted with that in mind. Any subsequent release of the series doesn't have accurate colors because they've been degraded or reworked (as Dagon pointed out). The colored manga pulled inspiration from the anime, so can't really go by that either. For example, Bulma has her teal hair rather than purple.

Kai and Super probably have the most accurate colors, particularly because they were digitally colored and haven't degraded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240311_090633_YouTube.png
    Screenshot_20240311_090633_YouTube.png
    502.6 KB · Views: 4

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Attached is Akira Toriyama's drawing of Goku where he mixed the colors in himself. It's like a light orange gi--pretty much what we see on the manga covers.

Three full colored pages in the Kanzenban and VizBigs are Toriyama's actual colors, but there are some colored pages that use a very limited pallette--those are the ones that have Goku's gi in full red. While it's nice to have those, they are inaccurate to how the characters were envisioned.

The only really good source of the intended colors from the anime would come from the animation cels, though there are nuances to that also. I think that there was an expectation that the colors would be altered for the broadcast, so the cels might have been painted with that in mind. Any subsequent release of the series doesn't have accurate colors because they've been degraded or reworked (as Dagon pointed out). The colored manga pulled inspiration from the anime, so can't really go by that either. For example, Bulma has her teal hair rather than purple.

Kai and Super probably have the most accurate colors, particularly because they were digitally colored and haven't degraded.
Bulma has purple hair in the colored manga:

IMG_20240311_163054.jpg

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
She does have teal hair in the first chapter that's probably what you're thinking of

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Wasn’t his Gi Color yellow in some instances?

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Yeah I think the anime wasn't 100% consistent with red. If you mean the manga, I think it's like a golden yellow. Not really orange yeah, closer to yellow I'd say

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor

Though looking at this image, it seems more like orange than yellow to me. I think a golden yellow would be pretty much a yellow-orange mid range?