Is it just me..

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Or do the newer Dragon Ball game covers look lame compared to the PS2 era? These look so much better to me.

20190218-143005.jpg

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Yeah, the newer ones look too "game-y", like very video-gamish whereas older covers looked like the anime-series. Newer ones also have nothing happening on them besides a character just standing on the cover or screaming.

BTW, I swear all those covers are different from what I know.

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
I've seen this pointed out before. I chalk it up to a change in design focus.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Fantastische Hure said:
Yeah, the newer ones look too "game-y", like very video-gamish whereas older covers looked like the anime-series. Newer ones also have nothing happening on them besides a character just standing on the cover or screaming.

BTW, I swear all those covers are different from what I know.

Pretty sure these games had multiple editions for their covers but I could be wrong.

I completely agree tho.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Fearless In Quarantine said:
Care to post the new DB game covers to back up your claim?

Nah, they arent hard to find. It's an opinion anyway not something I'm trying to prove.

Keedounan

Elite
Fearless In Quarantine said:
Care to post the new DB game covers to back up your claim?

Come on, man. You can literally search that up on google in an instant. Type, for example, XV2 or FighterZ.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
theallpowerfulpuipui said:
You know they got lazy when they used this cover:
:boy

I'd rather see that compared to the horrific XV2 cover.

Keedounan

Elite
Super Saiyan said:

Come on, dude. It may be true that it's unimpressive compared to the old covers, but it wasn't that bad.

Dragon_Ball_Xenoverse_2_Cover.jpeg

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Pocket-Gog~ said:
Super Saiyan said:

XV1 is worse.

Dragon_Ball_Xenoverse_cover_art.jpg
Never played it but u right.
Keedounan said:
Super Saiyan said:

Come on, dude. It may be true that it's unimpressive compared to the old covers, but it wasn't that bad.

Dragon_Ball_Xenoverse_2_Cover.jpeg
It just feels so uninspired to me. Slap a weird looking Goku and a blurry future Gohan onto a white cover and call it a day..

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Funny when I was a kid playing Buu's Fury game I would go to a gameshop just to see DBZ Games Covers particularly the Budokai ones.
images

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Completely agree with the OP. The older covers often showed off a lot of the cast and had far more variation in how they were portrayed. Nowadays, it just comes down to having SSJ Goku on it and calling it a day.

It says a lot when the last notable console game to feature anything other than this current standard was Battle of Z.

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Budokai 1 and 3 look especially good to me. I'm also fond of BT2's cover art.

Out of the more contemporary games, Attack of the Saiyans, Burst Limit and Raging Blast all look really cool to me.

Warmmedown

Elite
The BT2 Future Trunks one is cool.

Xenoverse 1's looks like a Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross and DBZ crossover.

I like the Kakarot cover though. Looks more like classic DBZ in terms of how clean the art is and obviously Flying Nimbus/kinto'un (PS where you at Nimbus? Come back to the forum).

Raging Blast 2 is maybe the best home console cover, but that's not really an old game (I'm taking old to mean the last time DBZ games were actually good, which was PS2 era or earlier).

Close your mouth before a fly flies into it. Actually Gohan looks like he might already have just started to choke on a fly, in the middle of the photoshoot. Also "fly" is the worst animal name of all time.

71BBRnNZMLL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Speaking of the Budokai and Tenkaichi covers, it's worth bringing up for those who may not know the covers for the Budokai trilogy and first two Tenkaichi games differ depending on the region, with the ones SSJ2 showed in the OP being the NA editions.

Japanese Budokai covers:
272846-dragon-ball-z-budokai-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

PA.04353.001.jpg

dragon_ball_z_budokai_3_frontcover_large_ykotrcf3B1dPzw8.jpg

EU/PAL Budokai covers

612XF7MFV6L._AC_SY445_.jpg

51JWBPWEJCL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Japanese/European covers of BT1 and 2 (only difference is the Japanese versions being titled Sparking and Sparking Neo respectively):
132755-dragon-ball-z-budokai-tenkaichi-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

150563-dragon-ball-z-budokai-tenkaichi-2-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Comparing each version, I'd say the Japanese version of Budokai is the most bland and pretty similar to the covers of modern games, albeit a bit more stylistic due to the colour palette. I personally prefer the EU version of Budokai 1 due to nostalgia and it showing some elements rarely seen in covers such as having Base Goku holding the Nyoi-bo, though the NA version makes more sense seeing as how Boo Arc Vegeta and Lord :bitch weren't in the game makes it false advertising (though at least they praised the latter :bitch :bitch :bitch, also the CHADitz). Budokai 2 is one where every version was good, though I'd say the Japanese version stands out the least. The EU version has more style to it with the colour palette for the SSJ hair being a shade of gold rarely seen in DB art. It's hard to say which is better between that and the NA version, though I'd probably go with the latter due to the EU version basically being Boo and 2 and a half Gokus filmed in front of a live studio audience. I'd say the NA version of Budokai 3 is the weakest for the same reason as JAP Budokai 1. I'd say the EU version is my favourite due to it being the only DBZ game other than its remake to give SS4 some shine, though the cover being of the game models does make the art less polished than the Japanese version.
For the Tenkaichi games, I'd definitely say both original covers are better. BT1's NA version is good, but I'd say the grittiness of the original as well as it having a balance between hero and villain characters makes it more distinctive. The NA BT2 cover with it being just Trunks with a slight showing of Goku in each era is a decent idea that's quite distinctive, though I prefer the display of the wider cast, it being the only main console game I can recall to have featured even one of the main Earthling trio, let alone all three.