Joey vs. Syrus vs. Crow

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
It's debateable if you can say Crow is a sidekick but he to me seems like he fits the same role Joey had. He's a lot more active in duels than either Joey and Syrus were. But I personally think Crow would win this.

Joey's deck of mostly warriors isn't that great with hindsight. It's mostly luck based, one bad outcome and BOOM that's it. He won the vast majority of his duels with luck until it caught up with him in the KC Grand Prix against Zigfried. I like the character of Joey, he's an admirable duelist but out of the first 3 sidekicks I'd say he has the worst overall deck.

Syrus was kind of a pussy at first with his cartoonish vehicroid deck. I'd say Joey could've beaten him. But in the last season of GX when Zane was suffering from Heart problems Syrus tagged him out and finished his duel for him using a mix of both of their decks. In the end Zane decided to make a new deck and leave his Cyber Dragons to Syrus so with the Cyber Dragons Syrus deck got a SERIOUS boost. That archetype can be OP very quickly.

Crow like a lot of the others in 5Ds has a more balanced deck that seems like it can handle almost every situation but not to the same degree as Yusei. Crow to me comes off as the 2nd best signer even. But the Blackwings are an awesome archetype that can swarm the field rather quickly and pull off some badass Synchros like Armor Master, Silver Wind Ascendant, and Blackwinged Dragon. He's beaten opponents that I'm sure could beat Joey or Syrus: Grieger, Broder, and Goodwin (Even though he didn't score the winning blow and was eliminated [kind of] he still didn't lose per say during that duel.

I personally think Crow's got this.

Epicnessbeyond

Mid Class Warrior
I say Joey. He may not be up there with Yugi and Kaiba but he is close. I doubt Crow would do as well against Marik. Even so Crow should be on par with Joey but I think Hermos will be the pushing factor for Joey's win

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
It seems to be a trend that characters from the first series are always better than their counterpart from other series.

Yugi > Jaden, Yusei
Joey > Syrus, Crow
Kaiba > Zane/Chazz, Jack

Stuff like that.

Six Trails

Elite
Legend
Admin
Wasn't Syrus an awful dueler? Like lost every duel where he didn't tag team with Jaden? I don't know anything about any of the characters past GX as I lost interest there. I dislike the Synchro and XYZ monster things.

Son Gokū

High Class Warrior
In real life, Crow wins without any challenge.
In anime, Joey wins with luck.
Syrus regardless of which season gets beat first...

Epicnessbeyond

Mid Class Warrior
Mike said:
Wasn't Syrus an awful dueler? Like lost every duel where he didn't tag team with Jaden? I don't know anything about any of the characters past GX as I lost interest there. I dislike the Synchro and XYZ monster things.
At the end he combined his and Zanes deck so he had a Cyber Dragon/Vehicroid deck

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
I messed up Crow beating Broder. He was on the receiving end of his attacks for most of their duel but he did manage to score what would've been a winning blow with Black Wing destroying Blackwinged Dragon & Loki, Lord of the Aesir and deal damage to Broder equal to their combined ATK (6,100 Pts) but due to Broder activating "Dromi the Sacred Shackles" their bout ended in a draw. But he still made a good comeback when almost being 3000 LP behind Broder.

But I still think Crow could win this. Joey has a chance with his luck cards but gambling isn't my strong suit and that can backfire just as easily as it puts you ahead. Now that I remember he does have Jinzo and 5D's does heavily focus on traps so that's an advantage for Joey. I didn't think to include Heremos but why the hell not? With Heremos Joey has a bigger advantage seeing how broken each of the Legendary Dragons were.

Cyrus on his own without the Cyber Dragons isn't that impressive but with all of the Support for Cyber Dragon and the multitude of cards Zane had to bring out fusion variants of Cyber Dragon can match him fairly well.

Crow and his Blackwings like I said are good for swarming the field and his Synchros (Primarily Armor Master & Blackwing Dragon) can cause problems for the two.

With the main protagonist, rivals, sidekicks, and leading ladies I personally go with

Yugi >=< Yusei > Jaden
Kaiba > Jack > Zane >>>> Chazz
Joey (Heremos) >=< Crow > Syrus (With Cyber Dragons) > Joey > Syrus
Akiza > Mai > Asuka/Alexis >>>>>> Tea

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
What was said earlier. Kaiba even defeated early Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Judai. End of series blue-hair can most likely do the same, since he seemed to have surpassed older blue-hair by the end. Jounouchi was also ranked-above Edo by Pegasus who defeated Judai in their first duel.

If thinking about it in power-level terms it makes sense to think of it as luck being seen as skill in-universe & perhaps duelling some-one who is below your "skill-level" can even supress your opponent's luck if you're better than them. Look at the end-of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX plz, Judai & Yugi duel & even-though Judai's deck might seem superior to some (don't know) the duel plays-out in a way where Judai's cards even help Yugi's.

So even-though both of them might have a better deck than Jounouchi to some, if this were to play-out you can guess.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
You can say that again
I should also say regarding character power-levels in Yu-Gi-Oh!, at-least anime-verse. There were hints of it through-out:

1. Kaiba doing that weird thing vs Siegfried where he predicted his final turn. How does one do that, unless their power-level/skill is just that high.

2. Yugi/Atem & Yusei & maybe other characters defeating others with “bad” stranger’s decks or mish-mash of cards from other people that weren’t considered good (jail episode). How does one do that, unless their power-level/skill is just that high.

3. That whole draw thing from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX & Judai defeating Tarzan-gai (IIRC).

That could also explain the suppressing lesser duelist’s luck thing. They were able to do better against others because those others just weren’t good enough, where-as for example Yugi was able to hold-out with the same deck against A.I. or some-thing because of his level.

Please don’t ask me why I quoted you. You quoted me too. An for an eye, you know.