Physical Manga vs Digital Manga

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Which do you prefer?

Personally, I prefer physical Manga. A while ago I was at the public library and they had a few chapters of Dragon Ball, and I borrowed them and I enjoyed that much more than when I read some online. I guess it's because I prefer physical media when it comes to anything, really.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Physical Manga for sure, although it gets expensive as fuck.

I would have no problem buying more once I get a job, though.

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
Physical, definitely. I'll read custom-made mangas online, but official mangas I can't read online. I tried Bleach and it was too hard on my eyes.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Emmeth said:
Physical, definitely. I'll read custom-made mangas online, but official mangas I can't read online. I tried Bleach and it was too hard on my eyes.
It really depends on the website you use, I think. Some can have bad scanlations.

It's a good thing you dropped Bleach, BTW.

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
Big Green The Yoshi said:
Emmeth said:
It really depends on the website you use, I think. Some can have bad scanlations.

It's a good thing you dropped Bleach, BTW.
I was talking about some of the fanfiction certain members on DBZF have done. They are brilliant.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
I prefer physical. I find it easier and more convenient/natural to flip between physical pages as opposed to going to a new online page/scrolling up and down, especially when it comes to looking at a previous page if I want to reference it for something.

Doctor Havoc

High Class Warrior
Same as books vs digital novels debate
Also a physical copy for me, the smell the feel the ink ect...
It makes for a much better experience imo

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Whilst I prefer owning physical copies, I usually prefer reading digital as physical copies can have the spine damaged by reading them. It also depends on the series. I prefer digital when a series tends to have a multitude of panels on a single page, whereas I prefer physical copies for ones that often have very few panels per page.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
I prefer physical copies of any reading material. Manga, comics and books. I always like to hold it and carry it around. I like folding that page to mark my place. I spent my money on them so having a concrete piece of something to feel sort of justifies the purchase.

Plus, new books just have a special smell and feel about them. And I love that smell.

Whipedkillsmiled

Mid Class Warrior
Physical, it's digital with usually better translation and no lag and you can read it more relaxing-ly

Lord Brofist

Low Class Warrior
Physical, though I almost always start out with the online version first just to see how I like it in the end and its usually for things that I've really enjoyed. I also always buy on Amazon. I can literally get a volume for about $6 in nearly new condition compared to going to the bookstore and having to pay over $15 for it.

There were also times when it was honestly hard to find certain translations online, a funny thing really when usually those come out the earliest. I remember I could hardly find any translations for the Higurashi manga and so I actually started buying the volumes for them.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
Sometimes physical manga has defects. When I got the Full Color volumes in English a few pages had smeared ink, probably because they are bound together before the ink is completely dry. With digital media you don't have to worry about that and every image is clear and crisp.

Lord Beerus

Low Class Warrior
Physical manga for sure. If you go digital and then all of a sudden your laptop or iPad or whatever electronic device you're reading the manga from gets broken or corrupted, you're fucked.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Lord Beerus said:
Physical manga for sure. If you go digital and then all of a sudden your laptop or iPad or whatever electronic device you're reading the manga from gets broken or corrupted, you're fucked.
Viz lets you keep all of your manga under your account though, so you can log in on other devices.

I don't mind either. For something like DB, I prefer digital to make it easier to get scans.

FutureProtagonist

Low Class Warrior
Lord Beerus said:
Practically every digital product you buy is permanently bound to some kind of account where you can download it as many times as you want. In fact, I would never buy from a retailer that didn't have something like that.

I like digital manga; I mostly read manga at night, and I hate having lights on. Books can be cumbersome at times, too. You can't beat the quality, but the tradeoffs aren't worth it, not to mention that they take up space and aren't nearly as portable. You just can't beat the convenience of an amazon/iTunes account with your entire manga collection on it.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Physical. Digital just doesn't feel the same, although small panels may be hard to notice when you read too fast on physical copies.