Post the concept for a Pokémon you'd like to see

Castiel

I've always liked the idea of a Normal/Ghost type Opossum Pokémon.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
The Naked Mole Rat has always been my favorite animal, so I would probably go for one similar to that. A ground type/normal type. It has two huge digging claws in the front to use as weapons. It would probably have some of the typical moves like dig and sand-attack, but I also picture some more power based moves that do fantastic critical damage but have mediocre accuracy due to the moles natural blindness.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
A Legendary quartet based on the Four Horses of the Apocalypse. The White Horse would be a Fighting/Fairy Type, The Red Horse a Fire/Fighting type, the Black Horse a Ground/Poison type and the Pale Horse a Ghost/Dark type.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Bump. One region I see as inevitable when considering Pokemon's current trend for them would be one based on Italy when considering its popularity as a tourist destination for the Japanese and the world as a whole. Having recently learnt of the Voltaic and Zamboni batteries as well as taking into account a dolphin Pokemon still hasn't been utilised and dolphins' return to Italian rivers last year, I think a Water/Electric Dolphin that runs on such batteries would make a cool line. The first would run on the Voltaic battery and the second on a Zamboni pile based on the Oxford Electric Bell, or possibly being a branched evolution with the former being more focused on being a fast and powerful special glass cannon with the latter focusing on HP and defence inspired by the Oxford Electric Bell being the longest running battery in the world.

Alternatively for an Italian inspired Pokemon design, we could have a ghost type based on a possessed pork cold cut and call it Gabaghoul [mention]Mengde[/mention] :manabu.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
When Pokemon started designing its monsters after ice cream that was when I knew the franchise completely ran out of creativity

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kenshi said:
When Pokemon started designing its monsters after ice cream that was when I knew the franchise completely ran out of creativity
Not really. It's not as though designing Pokemon after inanimate objects like piles of sludge (Grimer and Muk) or seeds (Exeggcute) was anything new or better than basing them on ice cream, not to mention the Vanilluxe line aren't wholly just ice cream (James Turner saying he also based them on the Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters).

Each generation has their fair share of bad designs, but there's none completely lacking in creative or intricate ones.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Generation 5 was really the first time where all the mons were unmemorable to me personally. With all four of the previous generations I had no trouble naming Pokemon after completing the League, but with Generation 5 I still struggled to do so after 2 playthroughs of Black/White.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
That's still not really much of an argument for the designs having ran out of creativity, since it just means you personally didn't like them rather than them being creatively bankrupt. For instance, there are many designs from Gen 5 and onward that I either like as much as the best of past gens or can see the creativity behind them (even in Gen 8, which has some really underrated designs), which makes rating the designs' creativity on memorability or how much you like them pure subjectivism.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
The fact that the mons were so unmemorable in Generation 5 despite the fact that prior to the post-game you can't even play with mons from previous generations says enough about how unoriginal and unmemorable the Pokemon were, imo. If I hadn't heard people talking about Ass Ketchup having that sunglasses wearing crocodile Pokemon (which I still can't name), I wouldn't have even remembered the ground types in Black/White.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Again, that's pretty much entirely down to personal opinion and experience rather than being a strong case for a lack of originality as I could say the opposite about a lot of designs from Gen 5-8 or point out how basic a lot of the designs from the early generations were, not to mention it not addressing exactly why specific designs are "uncreative."

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
Kenshi said:
Generation 5 was really the first time where all the mons were unmemorable to me personally. With all four of the previous generations I had no trouble naming Pokemon after completing the League, but with Generation 5 I still struggled to do so after 2 playthroughs of Black/White.
The only gen that I think has truly awful Pokemon designs is Sword and Shield/X and Y. Most of Sun and Moon's designs were just remixes of gen 1 pokemons. :ladd