Why Typhlosion Is Actually Better Than Charizard

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
1. It has the same stat distribution as Charizard, but is a pure Fire Type with no Flying Type handicap, especially against Stealth Rock.

2. It has a better movepool. For example, it can learn Thunderpunch, and not just SolarBeam, which can be countered more easily.

Those two reasons are enough for me personally. Do you agree or disagree?

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
Charizard has nostalgia and an overall better look, with the whole classic dragon design. I'd agree with you on Typhlosion being superior in battle. I found it to be a bit tougher and more reliable in comparison.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Typhlosion is too one-pattern. Before it got a new form in the recent generation 90% of Typhlosions in 1v1 battling used Choice Scarf with maxed out Sp. Attack EVs and IVs and spammed Eruption. By comparison Charizard has (or had) Mega Evolutions and far more variety. I agree Charizard sucked ass in generatiosn 4 and 5 tho.

I don't care about competitive battling or much of Pokemon at all after Sword and Shit came out however

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure at one point Charizard was able to learn Thunder Punch.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
You may wanna check the move set lists on Serebii, Bulbapedia, etc. He learns it through TM.
He does in Generation 4 and beyond. In Generation 2 and Generation 3, Typhlosion is the only one of the two that can learn it, and that was before the physical/special split.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
He does in Generation 4 and beyond. In Generation 2 and Generation 3, Typhlosion is the only one of the two that can learn it, and that was before the physical/special split.
I was never wrong since I said “at one point “ he could learn it. Your original post implies that Charizard could never learn it.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
I just like Generation 2's and Generation 3's game mechanics the best. They were at the perfect point in Pokemon's history in gameplay alone. Generation 1's movepool was too bland and primitive, Generation 4 and Generation 5 are too overpowered, and Generation 6, Generation 7, and Generation 8 are too broken.