Recent Chapter Discussion

Discuss the popular anime/manga, One Piece!
Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Recent Chapter Discussion

Postby Captain Cadaver » 14 Jan 2018, 14:25

Oda trying to write a character with internal conflict and complex goals, yet failing at it spectacularly. In the end, she's just OP's Lunch who got gaslighted by her upbringing (like 90% of OP characters).

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 14 Jan 2018, 16:27

I am really not a fan of Pudding.

Btw CC I haven't forgotten about the review thread. Sorry for delaying.

Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Cadaver » 29 Jan 2018, 16:41

So, yet another chapter with poor pacing in terms of story progression, seeing as how other than Sanji reuniting with the Straw Hats, the only events worth discussing are the last five pages, seeing as how the mid point of the chapter only introduces two more caricaturish Big Mom daughters that will become pretty forgettable. Cinnamon also looks like a thot.
I liked Oven's plan of breaking all the mirrors except for one. As simplistic as it is, it still has a lot more substance than any battle related moment we've had for the past few months.

Katakuri still isn't able to KO a fatigued base Luffy. Even Super Galu would be jealous of his plot armour. :facepalm

Luffy getting stabbed and losing a bit of flesh was the first engaging part of the Katakuri fight since it started, so there's that. Too bad his plot armour will have Luffy either endure it or be completely healed by someone like Chopper and never acknowledge the injury afterwards. The last panel being Flambe laughing seemed like a strange choice to end the chapter on. Perhaps she'll play some role of relevance after all.

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 29 Jan 2018, 18:00

How fucking long is Luffy vs Katakuri going to go one for? It's felt like months now, ffs.

Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Cadaver » 29 Jan 2018, 18:14

How fucking long is Luffy vs Katakuri going to go one for? It's felt like months now, ffs.
It started in Chapter 878, so it's been 14 chapters already (can't remember if it's been featured in each chapter though), so since September. All for a fight sequence that could've been shortened down to being in 3 chapters at most and still having the same major plot points intact.

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 29 Jan 2018, 18:17

This fight could have been 1 chapter for what has progressed so far.

Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Cadaver » 29 Jan 2018, 18:20

Just imagine how many episodes Toei will milk it for. Galu VS Freeza on Namek could end up being a short watch by comparison. :manabu

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 29 Jan 2018, 18:23

One of the reasons I really struggle to watch anime now. I can't tolerate how much time is wasted on stupid scenes. The classic is the 2 minute stare-down, where dramatic music plays in the background and nobody will fight. They just stare at each other for two minutes like fucking shithead retards just to fill up their faggot 21 minute window. Fuck anime.

Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Cadaver » 29 Jan 2018, 18:30

I didn't mind such padding for older series and older episodes of OP seeing as how back then there was good enough build up, emotion and tension in the battles to warrant that level of dramatisation. However, Luffy VS Katakuri has none of that, especially not compared to say, Luffy's rematches with Crocodile and Lucci.

Off topic but I imagine you'll like the fights in the HxH 2011 anime for that very reason, since all the battles in them are straight to the point when given the major focus. Don't think any single battle within them is extended past 2 episodes at most, and even then it's due to the episode focusing on multiple plot threads.

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 29 Jan 2018, 20:16

Agreed.

I don't know if it's just me having changed. or the story having changed, but One Piece doesn't feel anything like it used to to me. I can't put my finger on what it is, but the story feels different in a negative way.

Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Cadaver » 30 Jan 2018, 08:54

I don't know if it's just me having changed. or the story having changed, but One Piece doesn't feel anything like it used to to me. I can't put my finger on what it is, but the story feels different in a negative way.
If anything, I think it's because not much has changed in terms of structure. Oda's started repeating major plot lines and tropes far beyond their worth, not to mention he seems almost adamant at not developing the cast. Most likely, he realised the masses don't like a character to change and instead made it so they remain the same regardless of whatever experiences they go through. It also leads to them becoming annoying, considering how much he'll reuse the same character gags long after their use has ended, because why come up with original humour when you can have Brook say "Nami, show me your panties" 50 times? :facepalm

Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Cadaver » 02 Feb 2018, 23:23

New chapter was pretty generic. Flambe shows she's a completely unlikeable and useless bitch by being wet for her brother until his true face causes her to do a 180. Katakuri's actions of getting mad about someone disgracing the honour of a 1 on 1 match with a surprise attack was a trope I've seen done in plenty of other Shonen such as Raoh VS Fudo in Hokuto no Ken or Chaozu intervening with Goku VS Tenshithands (and done far better in the case of the former), but it at least makes Katakuri a lot cooler than he was before.
Still ass that base Luffy is able to contend with him just because of his Kenbunshoku Haki improving though, especially when this entire chapter focused on the two.

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 02 Feb 2018, 23:51

Chapter was meh. Looks like the conclusion of Luffy vs Katakuri will finally be happening soon, thank god.

Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Cadaver » 06 Feb 2018, 00:17

ahill1

Postby ahill1 » 07 Feb 2018, 21:34

The YouTubers of my country are in general pretty excited with One Piece currently, saying Luffy vs Katakuri is one of da best fights and that Katakuri is a freaking boss... well, I should read it soon to see whether I think it's shitty or cool. One of the youtubers even begun his video literally screaming "Katakuri!!!! How I love this man!!!" haha.

Return to “One Piece”