Comics

TV, Movies, Music, Books, etc!
SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Comics

Postby SSJ2 » 14 Jan 2018, 17:36

This is a very vague question, but what is your opinion on comics? I quite enjoy reading manga, but I'm at the point where it's hard to find manga that interests me. Are comics generally speaking a similar experience? I'd like to check out classic ones like Batman, Spiderman, etc, but I don't know how to start.

Pocket-God

Re: Comics

Postby Pocket-God » 14 Jan 2018, 17:52

Probably be better off asking this on F, or more specifically asking Darker.

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 14 Jan 2018, 17:55

I'm pretty sure Gothic reads them. I'm counting on the old man's advice.

2kewl4u

Postby 2kewl4u » 14 Jan 2018, 18:55

There's more variety in manga than there's in comics to be honest I think. There are some stand-out ones, but a-lot of them are also just super-hero stories.

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 14 Jan 2018, 18:58

Yea I agree on the variety, but in terms of my interests I've run out of stuff to read. I've always been interested in film variants of comics, so I bet I'd find interest in the actual series too. Plus some have tons of content to go through.

GreatSaiyaman123

Postby GreatSaiyaman123 » 14 Jan 2018, 21:04

I used to read a lot, but not much nowadays. Still have my small collections tho.
Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

[+] Spoiler

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 14 Jan 2018, 21:07

Which ones did you read?

GreatSaiyaman123

Postby GreatSaiyaman123 » 14 Jan 2018, 22:08

Super hero comics mostly. It's pretty tough to find comic books that are not super heroes related.

[+] Spoiler

2kewl4u

Postby 2kewl4u » 14 Jan 2018, 22:38

I think Watch-Man is one that is not.

GreatSaiyaman123

Postby GreatSaiyaman123 » 14 Jan 2018, 22:40

What? Watchman is about super heroes. Sort of.

[+] Spoiler

2kewl4u

Postby 2kewl4u » 14 Jan 2018, 23:00

What? Watchman is about super heroes. Sort of.
:ok :ok :ok

I'm not all that knowledgeable on comics.

GreatSaiyaman123

Postby GreatSaiyaman123 » 14 Jan 2018, 23:14

I'm not all that knowledgeable on comics.
You seem like a very wise man, though.

[+] Spoiler

Captain Cadaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Captain Cadaver » 15 Jan 2018, 04:49

There's plenty of good stories within comics, though I don't tend to read many. Everything by Alan Moore (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Batman: The Killing Joke, etc.) tends to be consistently great. Preacher is also a very interesting story and a good satire of some of the more contradictive aspects of Christianity, though it does start to lose steam during the last volume, and a lot of the Star Wars Legends comics tend to have good stories such as Star Wars Legacy (at least when comparing them to what Disney's done with the franchise). My experience with comics sort of ends there though. I'd generally tend to avoid reading most of the Marvel/DC stories outside of alternate universe ones like Superman: Red Son or self contained stories like The Killing Joke or Old Man Logan, since the perpetual nature of most Marvel/DC works of the main timelines after the 80s tend to lack any tension due to the knowledge a series will just get rebooted after some time and that no character remains permanently dead. As far as main storylines of Superhero comics, I'd recommend Spiderman's 1962 - 1973 run (though no further due to this being where he stops developing as a character), the Phoenix Saga of X-Men (1977) and Dark Phoenix Saga (1980). Also, most Batman stories tend to be good and if most of the Justice League comics are as good as the cartoon, I guess they'll be decent.

Also, this series of analysing Marvel's highlights are a pretty good analysis of the highs and lows of Marvel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Ul7TCM5sg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc0JyAak4tE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEE1IktRqnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9tJYigy18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRAYZTeC_Lg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erspR83yyic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HJA88gjHWw

SSJ2
General of Zeta
General of Zeta

Postby SSJ2 » 15 Jan 2018, 17:04

I'd recommend Spiderman's 1962 - 1973 run (though no further due to this being where he stops developing as a character),
How do you keep developing after 11 years :alex2

As always thanks for the sweet post. Have you found the stuff you've read online, or do you own physical copies?

Southern Gothic
Red Ribbon Army
Red Ribbon Army

Postby Southern Gothic » 15 Jan 2018, 18:20

I'd recommend Spiderman's 1962 - 1973 run (though no further due to this being where he stops developing as a character),
How do you keep developing after 11 years :alex2

As always thanks for the sweet post. Have you found the stuff you've read online, or do you own physical copies?
I've got around 400 comics bagged and boarded total, so I am a big fan.

To answer this question first, and then get to your first post, comics are a different beast than manga. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Manga is known for keeping the same writer and artist on the book for years and years at a time. Is that right?

Comics go through many more writers and artists. CC recommended a particular run because it featured a strong team, and that's usually when comics shine brightest. And a great team often happens by pure luck. Stan Lee/Jack Kirby is a big one, and the most legendary. Chris Claremont and John Byrne on X-Men back in the 80's is probably responsible for everything the average person knows about X-Men. So on and so on.

To address your first question, which is how to get into comics, the best thing to do is to tell me what you like. Who's the character you are most likely to stick with for reading a few books worth of stuff? Or what comic book movie do you really enjoy that you might want to read the original? Ultra violent or science fiction?

That's a lot easier that me just throwing endless titles at you. Nobody starts with X-Men #1 from 1968 and then read every issue up until modern day, for example, so it can be easy to get swamped by recommendations.

Return to “General Entertainment”