Akira Toriyama has passed away

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I'm having trouble finding the strength to do much of anything today after this saddening news. Akira Toriyama was beloved worldwide, to the extent that the former mayor of Mexico City, and even the Chinese and Japanese governments are paying their respects to his passing. Dragon Ball got me through some of my darkest days when depression could have easily taken my life, and with all that's happened I'm just now processing what a heavy loss this is to the industry and the lives of fans everywhere. We've all made jokes in poor taste about Toriyama's stagnating memory and how poor Super has been compared to the original series, but this loss has left me nothing short of shocked to the point that life has lost all flavor, at least probably for the next few weeks.

Akira Toriyama, you will be missed. Reading, reminiscing , discussing and looking back on your work still takes me back to my childhood, you've made the lives of millions special. Dragon Ball has been more than a hobby, and I pray that the afterlife is as fun a place as you portrayed in your stories.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I was gonna say if you don't visit the forum after this news I'm worried, but you're here.

Thinking of all the famous photos of him, he's one of those famous people who's still remembered with his young image, rather than his elderly one.
True. AT was like a Gawd to me. This might seriously be the most I've ever been hurt by a death in my life. Thankfully for me you know close relatives are all good. I feel really bad. AT's work was so great and in some-way all the stuff that came-after, inspired by his work, never truly could capture what he made. Hard to describe. Nothing quite as exciting (like can't wait to find-out what's next) & kewl as DragonBall if you know what I mean.

Also:
Yes, yes he is.

It's weird, because on Saturday (day after he passed-away) I went-out & was in a book-store with my younger sister. That day I bought DragonBall 3-in-1 of the first 3 volumes with Kanzenban cover of the first volume & a One-Piece volume. I told my sister about how great AT was & then he just died the die before & I didn't even know.

Warmmedown

Elite
True. AT was like a Gawd to me. This might seriously be the most I've ever been hurt by a death in my life. Thankfully for me you know close relatives are all good. I feel really bad. AT's work was so great and in some-way all the stuff that came-after, inspired by his work, never truly could capture what he made. Hard to describe. Nothing quite as exciting (like can't wait to find-out what's next) & kewl as DragonBall if you know what I mean.

Also:
Yes, yes he is.

It's weird, because on Saturday (day after he passed-away) I went-out & was in a book-store with my younger sister. That day I bought DragonBall 3-in-1 of the first 3 volumes with Kanzenban cover of the first volume & a One-Piece volume. I told my sister about how great AT was & then he just died the die before & I didn't even know.
Lol I'm imagining you giving a whole presentation to your family about Toriyama's works.

You're definitely the biggest Toriyama fan here, as opposed to just a Dragon Ball fan.

Power Level Guy

Mid Class Warrior
In an attempt to create perfection in his work, I've been overly critical of the man who's accounted for thousands of hours of entertainment and joy. Forgive me Sensei, I will always cherish the stories you created helped me through so many years of my life.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
" I offer my deepest condolences. Words cannot express how saddened I am.

Since I was just a clueless child, it has always been Akira Toriyama's manga from which I drew inspiration, spending my days with a pen in hand.

The countless dreams and excitement that his works, "Dragon Ball" and "Dr. Slump Arale-chan" (which I used to read hidden under my futon cover), have given me are something I am immensely grateful for.

The unexpected news of Toriyama-sensei's passing was indeed shocking, and I found myself at a loss for words. But I wish to believe that Toriyama-sensei has now journeyed to that faraway universe he used to depict and is still fervently creating there.He has always been a hero to me, someone who drew the most fantastic dreams and excitement into reality.

I look up to him as my mentor and the God of Manga. May the universe he is in now be as wondrous as the ones he has shown us. As someone who was saved by his manga, I can only say my thank you seems insufficient. I wish him peace in that faraway universe he depicted, with all its splendor, for eternity.

The great God of Manga, Akira Toriyama-sensei, may you rest in peace. I will never forget the dreams and excitement you brought to my childhood. Thank you so much for everything, Toriyama-sensei."

-- Eiichiro Oda

Beautiful message

Future Warrior

Elite
In an attempt to create perfection in his work, I've been overly critical of the man who's accounted for thousands of hours of entertainment and joy. Forgive me Sensei, I will always cherish the stories you created helped me through so many years of my life.
There’s nothing wrong with being critical of someone’s work, as long as it’s done with respect.

I’m not gonna hide my grievances with the Buu arc, for example lol.

Warmmedown

Elite

Translated by ChatGPT3.5. Comedian who knew AT for 16 years says AT told him in April 2023 that he might need brain surgery, but he also said he was fine. He sent a NY greeting in 2024 and the comedian heard AT had tumour removal surgery in February 2024. AT was also hospitalised back in 2022. He had no smartphone, smoked and was unpretentious. They met at a visual kei concert in 2007-2008, so maybe AT went to see bands?:

Manga artist Akira Toriyama (とりやま・あきら), known for works such as "Dragon Ball" and "Dr. Slump Arale-chan," passed away on the 1st due to an acute subdural hematoma. He was 68 years old and originally from Aichi Prefecture. The announcement was made on the official website of Weekly Shonen Jump and the official website of "Dragon Ball" on the 8th.
Comedian duo "Chicken Nanban" member Tomohide Okawa (45), who had a personal relationship with Toriyama for over 16 years, responded to an interview with our paper on the 8th, saying, "He was gentle and unassuming," revealing details about his personality and recent circumstances, "He expressed concern about his health in an email last April."
Okawa recalled the first meeting with Toriyama, saying, "In 2007 or 2008, he came to see a live performance of the band jealkb (ジュアルケービー), led by Rombu Jun." Okawa himself participated in the band as a guitarist under the name "ediee" (エディ). They had meals together in Toriyama's hometown of Nagoya, where Toriyama showed his true nature, saying, "As a joke, he would say, 'I have more money than you,' to prevent me from paying. He was truly kind and unpretentious."
According to Okawa, Toriyama did not have a smartphone or a flip phone. "I think he didn't like complicated things and felt that it would intrude on his privacy," said Okawa. They always communicated via email on the computer. Okawa also revealed, "Last April, I received an email saying, 'I might have to have a brain surgery,' and I was really worried. But it also said, 'I'm fine,' so I couldn't have predicted this sudden turn of events."
Describing Toriyama as "an ordinary uncle" who usually wore "T-shirts, jeans, sneakers, and a small pouch," Okawa added, "He was a heavy smoker, smoking a pack a day." Although there were no reports of poor health during their interactions, Okawa recalled, "I heard that he had brain tumor surgery in February this year."
One of the reasons Toriyama avoided public appearances was that "he didn't want to be associated with a certain image." Even after the serialization of Dragon Ball ended, Toriyama remained busy with creative activities, such as creating characters for Dragon Quest.
"He was an ordinary uncle," "He didn't like talking about work," "He had a lot of plastic models at home," "He said, 'To create new characters, you have to keep forgetting,'" "He was hospitalized in 2022 during the pandemic," "The last email exchange was in April last year, but I received a New Year's greeting," Okawa reminisced about the 16 years of interaction with Toriyama, finding his sudden departure deeply nostalgic and unexpected.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I've known about that comedian shedding light on AT's brain surgery for a few days. Sounds like he had complications from the operation, hope nobody tracks down the surgeon who performed it out of pent up rage that the DB creator has lost his life to the presumably botched procedure.

Warmmedown

Elite
That was my thought lol. The comedian probably had no idea how much Toriyama's forgetfulness has been discussed when he said that.