Another thing I thought about the Cell's "true-speed" power-up theory.

Hector

High Class Warrior
If Cell increased his level to something like 1.25x-1.5x above Goku, why did he expect that Goku would still be willing to eat a senzu and fight him after that? If anything, he should expect Goku to have lost all hope, so a more reasonable statement would be something like, "Do you now see how outmatched you are, Goku? I'd been toying with you all along."

Power Level Guy

Mid Class Warrior
If Cell increased his level to something like 1.25x-1.5x above Goku, why did he expect that Goku would still be willing to eat a senzu and fight him after that? If anything, he should expect Goku to have lost all hope, so a more reasonable statement would be something like, "Do you now see how outmatched you are, Goku? I'd been toying with you all along."

Well Goku wasn’t outmatched by much it’s that his ki has dropped substantially while matching Cell.

Power Level Guy

Mid Class Warrior
Ahh yes, sorry about that. Yes, you raise a good question. Perhaps it truly is only a speed increase initially like others have mentioned. I'm starting my Cell Games analysis soon, so I'm looking to discover the truth.

So basically Cell's power against Gohan shouldn't be so much that it devastates Goku is the claim. Seems like it's a good claim.

Natasha Romanoff

High Class Warrior
It's also a weird point to be brought. Cell was still two steps ahead of Goku and visibly speedblitzed him, so him not saying that doesn't deny those two things.

Power Level Guy

Mid Class Warrior
According to Steve Simmons, Cell says something different.

"Now then, let me increase my speed like I really mean it!"

That definitely changes things.