[b][i]SSJ Gohan[/i][/b] in BOG

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Was this a mistake by Toei?

The one promotional commercial showed him as a Super Saiyan, but when the movie was released they corrected it and made him Ultimate. But then when the God ritual occurred, he was able to use SSJ again. So does SSJ simply not give Gohan a boost in BOG?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
He was originally drawn as a Super Saiyan but was recolored to appear like his Ultimate self in the final cut. Footage of him charging Beerus as a Super Saiyan made it to Fuji TV, as well as those screenshots of him and Boo butting heads from the promotional material. The director was apparently called out on him having yellow hair and clarified that won't be the case in the movie, although he's still in the SSJ form during the God Ritual.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
So do you think that SSJ is just a cosmetic change at that point in time? Because FnF seems to imply that he can gain power from it again.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
But what's the explanation for that? Aren't the two films close together in terms of years?

TheGmGoken

Low Class Warrior
Toriyama and Toei F*ck up.

In FNF I had a theory that since SSGSSJ the new thing. You must show how weak regular Ssj is. And since No Goten or Trunks. Gohan took da fall.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Super Saiyan said:
So do you think that SSJ is just a cosmetic change at that point in time? Because FnF seems to imply that he can gain power from it again.
I'd probably be willing to accept him being ultimate in BOG, as that is what they ultimately decided on, but I tend to more or less consider him a regular Super Saiyan as all that scene changed was 14 seconds of him having yellow hair and that was done in response to fan complaints at the last minute. It's also worth noting that nobody makes mention of him losing his Ultimate power-up in FnF, only that he can probably go Super Saiyan. I tend to think Toriyama just forgot about his Ultimate state and wrote the script with him being defeated in SSJ, only for the animation team to color his hair in black in response to the backlash.

TheGmGoken

Low Class Warrior
Makes less Since that Gotenks didn't go SSJ3 after Mystic Gohan lost. Gotenks not that dumb.

Lord Beerus

Low Class Warrior
It was just a goof on Toei's part, the fans complained very vocally about and it was changed in the final cut for the movie.

FoolsGil

I blame GT. It cemented Gohan as having lost or no longer needing his potential unlock

FoolsGil

SSJ Vegetto said:
Gohan never lost it in GT.
But he didn't use his Ultimate Form. He went Super when he fought. That sort of thing is likely why there was that error in BoG.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Yeah considering the Perfect Files say that he trained between Z and GT, I'd say it's safe to assume his SSJ boost stacked on top of Ultimate. Plus we have him battling decently with Rild, who is stronger than Boo.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Gohan looks weak as a Super Saiyan. Damn Toei, they could just let Gohan stay in his ultimate form.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
I have a theory that due to lack of training Gohan's Ultimate form lost power and his SSJ form makes up for the power lost to either equal or come close to his ultimate form. I don't think SSJ Gohan in FnF/RoF is as weak as his Buu Arc SSJ form.