Best Way To Watch The Series?

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Something I'm interested in doing is going through the entire series + movies, eventually, since I first really watched Dragon Ball in 2009 (and bits and pieces probably even earlier) but I've never done this. However I'm not knowledgeable on the releases, and what's considered definitive. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Just watch the movies in the order they came out in.

Movies 1-4 are in the Saiyan Arc.

Movie 5 is in the Freeza Arc.

Movies 6-9 are in the Cell Arc

Movies 10-13 are in the Boo Arc.

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Just watch the movies in the order they came out in.

Movies 1-4 are in the Saiyan Arc.

Movie 5 is in the Freeza Arc.

Movies 6-9 are in the Cell Arc

Movies 10-13 are in the Boo Arc.
Thanks but this is not what I'm asking. I'm asking for a source that people like. I've heard for example Crunchy roll is cropped in a way that people don't like.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I'm assuming you're not trying to buy the official release?

Warmmedown

Elite
The dragon boxes are considered the best for DBZ. Dunno if Funimation or Crunchyroll (whichever dbz is available on) streams the dragon boxes or the orange bricks/remastered. I'm pretty sure most people watched the orange bricks. Orange bricks are 16:9/widescreen (which took off the top and bottom of the frames), dragon boxes are 4:3 (which is the original aspect ratio, so nothing's cut off. Maybe the top and bottom are messy, not sure), so idk if that's what ppl were talking about whillis when they said they don't like the crunchyroll cropping. The dragon boxes have the image grain retained, whereas the Orange have it removed, which removes some detail too iirc (like marks on faces during fights). The Orange has different colours, like the faces are lightened and the clothes have bolder colours.

Some guy made this good graphic, below.
Judging from it, there are other US releases too and it seems most didn't cut much off the top and bottom (Kai even has more on the bottom than the Dragon Boxes), except the Orange Bricks and the Blu Ray which cuts just a bit less than the Orange Bricks. They all have colour changes, except maybe Kai?
You can see the ocean and cloud grain levels differ, with the Dragon Box and Levels having lots, Pioneer and Ultimate Uncut maybe the same or less (hard to tell. I can see less in the ocean, but seemingly more than the Dragon Boxes in the clouds. Maybe the grain shows up more or less in some parts due to the colour changes?) and the Blu Ray, Orange Bricks and Kai having way less. The White Box has everything removed - they never hired that team again.

OTkugVZWe30qJQIENxilUGV-E35fkNzOS08lKR7YSHY.jpg

I think for DB (not Z) all the releases are the same?