Blast countering guideline & comparisons

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Countering methods:
OBS: Doing one doesn't mean you can't do another. Raditz runs away from the Kamehameha, but he can still block it. Trunks deflects Future 18's blast, even though there's a series of tanking gaps between them. Context matters.

Dodging:
The lowest method. You want nothing with the blast and just runs away from it.
Blocking: Can be comparable to dodging or maybe more impressive. You can't run, so all you can do is brace yourself and hope for the best. It's probably the vaguest one, since you're taking the blast and may or may not come out injured.
Deflecting: More impressive than blocking. These blasts have a concussive force, but you not only negated it but forced it to go somewhere else. Basically "take this shit outta here".
Tanking: Blast? What blast?

Example 1: Raditz vs Goku

Gap: At least 1.3x (1200+ vs 924)

Raditz tries to run away at first, but when Goku bends the Kamehameha he decides he has to face it. Raditz braces himself and blocks the explosion with one hand. His hand is shaking afterwards.

Example 2: Nappa vs Gohan

Gap: ???

Nappa yells as he punches the blast and it goes away, blowing up on a nearby mountain. His hand is swollen and he says it "stung". Is there something in the way they punch those blasts? They never blow up when people punch it.

Example 3: Vegeta vs Zarbon

Gap: 1.14x? (24k vs 21k?)

Vegeta yells and punches the blast away, but his hand is not burnt. Maybe because he had gloves?

Example 4: 4th form Freeza vs Vegeta

Freeza loses his smirk, makes a serious expression and kicks it away while shouting. Very similar to the above example.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
Example 1: Raditz vs Goku

Gap: At least 1.3x (1200+ vs 924)

Raditz tries to run away at first, but when Goku bends the Kamehameha he decides he has to face it. Raditz braces himself and blocks the explosion with one hand. His hand is shaking afterwards.
I was just thinking about this. It's possible Raditz is still not even at full power when he blocks the blast. His movement speed astonishes Piccolo when he's able to evade the SBC.

Example 2: Nappa vs Gohan

Gap: ???

Nappa yells as he punches the blast and it goes away, blowing up on a nearby mountain. His hand is swollen and he says it "stung". Is there something in the way they punch those blasts? They never blow up when people punch it.
A Goku who was over 5,000 completely embarrassed Nappa with unreal speed feats. Goku was 66k against the Ginyu Force or so. Goku was pulling off similar feats against Nappa as he did against the Ginyu Force. These feats aren't possible if Nappa is 4k. Also this is before Nappa lost his cool.

Example 3: Vegeta vs Zarbon

Gap: 1.14x? (24k vs 21k?)

Vegeta yells and punches the blast away, but his hand is not burnt. Maybe because he had gloves?
Deflecting is easier than punching back. You are just changing the blasts course, a punch or kick is straight up reversing it. The amount of power needed it exponentially greater here.

Example 4: 4th form Freeza vs Vegeta

Freeza loses his smirk, makes a serious expression and kicks it away while shouting. Very similar to the above example.
This is much more comparable to Nappa vs the Masenko since it's an outright reversal of movement. A deflection is often merely moving the blast a few degrees, a punch/kick back situation is monumentally different.

Great thread brother, now we are cooking.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Example 4 could rather be Piccolo-Daimao tanking Goku's KHH?

I tried to focus on what’s being more discussed right now. Also tanks aren’t really the focus here… we see a tank, we know it’s a huge gap. But if a character only blocks/deflects, it’s more dubious.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
You should add another category: rebounding.

it's one thing to redirect a blast that is still traveling away from the shooter or to the side, but to rebound back to the shooter proves you can effectively negate its pushing force and then some.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
You should add another category: rebounding.

it's one thing to redirect a blast that is still traveling away from the shooter or to the side, but to rebound back to the shooter proves you can effectively negate its pushing force and then some.
Yeah, that's like a specific level of control to do that. Can you give us an example?

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Yeah we gotta think of more examples of deflecting and blocking. Serious ones. I just put dodging and tank in there for completism, the focus here is deflecting vs blocking.

Personally, I’d consider rebounding a more extreme case of deflecting.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
No rebounding is GOATed. That's what Nappa did. Although with less control. I don't know if we have someone punch it right back at the opponent like that.

Punching kicking back is worlds above deflecting. Deflecting is nothing.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Well, Freeza rebounds Vegeta’s blast. Not sure if 3rd form Freeza on Gohan’s blast counts since Freeza was hit, pushed to the ground and took forever to push it back. The blast just didn’t blow up for some reason.

Yeah Goku sorta deflects Freeza’s blast in the warm up even though it pushes Goku across the island.

BedroomBully

Low Class Warrior
What about Recoome vs proto Final Flash?
Would you consider it “tanking”?

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
Well, Freeza rebounds Vegeta’s blast. Not sure if 3rd form Freeza on Gohan’s blast counts since Freeza was hit, pushed to the ground and took forever to push it back. The blast just didn’t blow up for some reason.

Yeah Goku sorta deflects Freeza’s blast in the warm up even though it pushes Goku across the island.

We need like a ranking scale for all these things.

What do you got that ki blast that sent Goku flying? Same as Tao Pai Pais blast right? Same thing. It burnt Goku’s hand though.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
We need like a ranking scale for all these things.

That’s exactly what I made this thread for. Gimme examples and we’ll rank them all.

Should we rank tanks too? SHC said I should, but I think they’re a whole other debate.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I’d say Nappa vs Kikoho > Recoome vs Final Crash. Nappa just got his armor bruised a bit.

When Nappa tanks attacks, should we take his FP or his “suppressed” power? He’s not really suppressed, more like pulling his punches. The reserves thing I said makes sense here.

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
That’s exactly what I made this thread for. Gimme examples and we’ll rank them all.

Should we rank tanks too? SHC said I should, but I think they’re a whole other debate.

I think we should rank all ki blast vs opponent situations.

But we need categories… if we come up with cooler names let me know.

“Obliterated”

Kid Buu vs Spirit Bomb

SPC vs Kid Gohan

Dodoria vs Vegeta

Cui vs Vegeta

Hmm we should keep adding to this list. Get them all in one spot.

“Oh that really hurt!”

Kid Gohan vs SPC

And so on…

FeatsofPower

High Class Warrior
When Nappa tanks attacks, should we take his FP or his “suppressed” power? He’s not really suppressed, more like pulling his punches. The reserves thing I said makes sense here.

He must be suppressed or else 2,800 doesn’t even scratch him.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
Yeah, that's like a specific level of control to do that. Can you give us an example?
Suppressed Freeza kicking back Vegeta's big energy ball and Vegetto kicking back Buuhan's energy ball. Also in the anime we have SSJ Goku stopping Freeza's big purple energy ball and punching it into space.

What blast?

Underground gas vein, genius. You fellas need to exercise a lot more caution before discharging your firearms, I'll tell you that right now. Especially you!

Last edited:

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
He must be suppressed or else 2,800 doesn’t even scratch him.

Well that’s a problem. 8k Goku hitting “suppressed” Nappa around isn’t a big deal.

He also tanks Kuririn’s blast even before he powers up to fight.

Underground gas vein, genius. You fellas need to exercise a lot more caution before discharging your firearms, I'll tell you that right now. Especially you!

That’s a good movie for this Halloween.