DB had better TV ratings than DBZ in Japan.

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior

Huh. All this time I thought DBZ had the best TV ratings in the franchise. The manga was at its peak during the Freeza arc, receiving 815 out of 1,000 ballots in a popularity poll for Weekly Jump:

BedroomBully

Low Class Warrior
Can’t say that I’m surprised actually
lots of people were turned off with the
introduction of Raditz and Goku actually being a alien so I heard.

oh, and the TV was ever evolving with more
channels being introduced throughout the years, so yeah not surprising.

DBZAOTA482

High Class Warrior
I guess slightly more people were watching television during DB. Also, DBZ's ratings dropped hard when Toriyama retconned Gohan as being significantly weaker after the 7 year time-skip and the anime series as a whole never fully recovered.

GT initially had some of the highest ratings at the series had seen in awhile, but those dropped hard after Japanese fans realized what it was about and jumped ship as the ratings kept dwindling. I even believe GT was going to be cancelled after the Bebi arc partly because of this reason (also because GT as a whole is not popular in Japan) but Toei kept it going just to promote the game Final Bout, despite it barely covering GT.

Last edited:

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
I guess slightly more people were watching television during DB. Also, DBZ's ratings dropped hard when Toriyama retconned Gohan as being significantly weaker after the 7 year time-skip and the anime series as a whole never fully recovered.
I heard fans complained that Gohan got spotlight and sent letters saying they want Goku back and that's why Goku eventually came back in the Buu arc. Also why Goku was juiced up in the anime.

DBZAOTA482

High Class Warrior
I heard fans complained that Gohan got spotlight and sent letters saying they want Goku back and that's why Goku eventually came back in the Buu arc. Also why Goku was juiced up in the anime.
Those were rumors. Gohan was leading popularity polls when he took over and the Great Saiyaman arc had the highest TV ratings of the entire series, so Japanese fans actually bought into Gohan being the new protagonist.

Toriyama went against the plotline himself at the last second because he was sick of drawing battle manga by the Majin Boo arc.

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior

So, DB started with very high ratings. It was riding the popularity of the Dr. Slump anime, which had just ended. Ratings declined slightly during the Jackie Chun arc but picked right back up during the Red Ribbon arc, reaching an all-time high with episode 47 (when Goku brought Krillin and Bulma along with him on his quest for the Dragon Balls), which got a viewership score of 29.5%. Then, they began to decline during the Baba mini-arc and they never picked up for the rest of the original DB's run, reaching an all-time low with episode 110 (when the Turtle Hermit was about to fight Demon King Piccolo), which got a viewership score of 13.7%. The final episode to get a viewership score of at least 25% was episode 75 (when Goku started fighting Grandpa Gohan).

DBZ didn't start with impressive ratings. It wasn't until toward the end of the Saiyan arc that it could nail a viewership score of at least 20% and it wasn't until about midway through the Namek/Freeza arc that it could get a viewership score of at least 25%. Ratings noticeably increased right about when Gohan grew up and the opening switched to "We Gotta Power", reaching an all-time high of 27.5% with episode 219 (when Gohan prepared to transform for Kibit). They fell off again right about when the Z Fighters entered Bobbidi's spaceship and never picked up for the rest of DBZ's run, reaching an all-time low with episode 273 (when Vegett split inside of Boo), which got a viewership score of 12.1%. The final episode to get a viewership score of at least 25% was episode 222 (when Vegeta stomped Pui Pui).

The weird thing is that in the manga, the Pilaf arc wasn't popular; it was riding on Dr. Slump's popularity in the beginning, but ratings eventually declined until the Jackie Chun arc. From there, the manga kept increasing in popularity, reaching a peak in the Freeza arc. Yet for the anime, the Freeza arc wasn't the peak at all; it was the Red Ribbon arc, with the Pilaf arc coming close. Going by the anime, I can see why Toei decided to go back to DB's roots for GT, toning down the action in favor of adventure, because the earlier episodes of the original DB had the highest ratings in Japan. But it was still ill-conceived; when ratings have declined after about a decade and the original creator has moved on, it's best to just end the franchise.
Also, DBZ's ratings dropped hard when Toriyama retconned Gohan as being significantly weaker after the 7 year time-skip and the anime series as a whole never fully recovered.

That's not a retcon lol. Gohan was already implied to be weaker right after the time-skip, as soon as Vegeta saw him again. Even after the implication, ratings were strong. Ratings declining later was just due to franchise burnout; keeping Gohan strong wouldn't have prevented this.

Last edited:

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior
The Dr. Slump episode that aired on December 16, 1981 got a viewership score of 36.9% and is the third most-watched episode in the history of anime according to here:
According to here, it was the fourth most-watched episode:

So, Dr. Slump's anime was even more popular than DBZ's? But looking at the second link's chart, it would seem that people watched less TV over time. Going no further back than 1987, Dragon Ball had the second-best ratings of any anime and DBZ had the fourth best. Save for Crayon Shin-chan and Chibi Maruko-chan, the only shows to get better ratings were old shit from 1986 or before.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
It makes sense. I also think that DBZ focused too much on alien races, especially Saiyans.

Dagon

Mid Class Warrior
It makes sense. I also think that DBZ focused too much on alien races, especially Saiyans.
Yeah it really shit on humans by basically saying the species just isn't capable of the same feats as others no matter how hard they try. Other races are just born better with no trade offs. Almost like there's a hidden message there...