Destructive power

Event Horizon

High Class Warrior
Does destructive power scale linearly?

Some say since e.g. Cell can destroy the solar system, anyone above him can do it as well.
A counter I've seen to that is Pure Boo and his big Ki blast which destroyed Earth. Apparently a Ki blast so powerful not even Goku and Vegeta could knock it back, yet only destroyed a single planet.

What's your opinion on this matter?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
It can't scale linearly in terms of battle powers, since battle powers don't correlate at all for energy values like TNT scales and such. For example, a casual planet buster like 1st form Freeza has a battle power 106,000x greater than an average human. If that scaled linearly as an energy value, he shouldn't even be able to city bust. It's clear Toriyama isn't a physicist of any sort, nor is he completely consistent.

The argument of character X being able to do the same as character Y if they have superior Ki to them seems fair enough, as that's the whole point of powerscaling. Things like them being to do so casually if they're far superior, however, seems incorrect. For example, even if we take Cell's solar system statement as fact, Whis implies that none of the characters outside of God tier can do so casually.

Lord Brofist

Low Class Warrior
I think for the first thing, distance in the DBZverse doesn't correlate in the same way that it does in our universe. It wold take several years traveling at the speed of light just to reach the nearest star other than our sun. Dingy little Saiyan space pods crosses entire star systems in two years.

You are going way past the laws of physics on that point.

If anything attacks are correlated by the ki and energy inside not the size. There just gets to a point where attacks aren't meant to be large, they're meant to be strong. Look at the Genki Dama from Freeza and Boo, frankly in terms of size they're not much different. It even seems Freeza might be larger if anything. But we all know which is stronger in the end.

Which honestly would probably make sense. Its better to have a strong compact attack then some widely spaced out one where the energy and power has to be displaced over a long distance.

Cell may be able to blow up the mass of the solar system if you take out all the empty space, but he's not taking out the distance. Nobody has shown that ability at all at his point or even after during the Boo Arc.

Son Gokū

High Class Warrior
Just depends how it's used...
If you've watch or read the series, then you'd notice even stronger attacks making small explosions that just damage with rocks. :-/

POOHEAD189

Low Class Warrior
Son Goku said:
Just depends how it's used...
If you've watch or read the series, then you'd notice even stronger attacks making small explosions that just damage with rocks. :-/
I agree. Stronger attacks can become "focused" to only damage/impact a small area whereas other attacks can be weaker in terms of damage but can effect a wider area. It all depends on how much control the user has (or chooses to use) over their energy attack

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Saiyan said:
Fat Boo can destroy earth by a blink of an eye.
Where was that said? His Kamehameha (albeit uncharged) destroyed only a mere 1/10th of the planet, and he's far above Super Perfect Cell who can presumably destroy a solar system with a fully powered Kamehameha. That's a huge difference in destructive power.

POOHEAD189

Low Class Warrior
Pyrus said:
Saiyan said:
Fat Boo can destroy earth by a blink of an eye.
Where was that said? His Kamehameha (albeit uncharged) destroyed only a mere 1/10th of the planet, and he's far above Super Perfect Cell who can presumably destroy a solar system with a fully powered Kamehameha. That's a huge difference in destructive power.
I don't understand what you mean. Are you denying that Fat Buu can easily destroy earth or are you agreeing?

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
I'm agreeing that he could. I'm just saying he should be capable of much more.

Doctor Havoc

High Class Warrior
Well to be fair cell with almost all his power could destroy a solar system and god tier could destroy one almost effortlessly
So there's a difference there

As for not being able to knock back a planet buster
Well goku can't knock it back with out destroying earth I guess
It's strong but not that strong and there's people left on earth

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
@Pyrus

I think Piccolo was just overreacting here.

Chapter: 476 (DBZ 282), P9.3
Piccolo: “If that bastard felt like it, he could wipe out the entire Earth, up here included, in the blink of an eye…!â€￾ Goku: “It’s alright, I don’t think he’ll take out the Earth. After all, I told him that in 2 days, someone stronger than me would fight him, and he seemed happy…â€￾

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
I've seen someone (on another forum) bring up the idea of Piccolo Daimao being capable of blowing up the earth.

The quote:

Daimao: "If I am annoyed, I won't think twice about destroying your whole world."

The quote in the original could be different.

Now considering Piccolo just wiped out a city, I always took the quote to mean he'd go around and destroy the world at his own pace. I never thought the quote implied he would literally destroy the planet, but some seem to think otherwise. Would Daimao be capable of blowing up the earth at this point?

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
I don't think he meant destroying the earth by one shot. He could cause some destruction on earth until it get destroy IMO.

Event Horizon

High Class Warrior
Some just assume destroy = bust/one-shot, when that's not necessarily the case.

Have they ever said destroy and referred to bust? Whis said wipe out when talking about Beerus busting the solar system, Cell said blow away, both Vegeta and Freeza said smashed to pieces/blow up.