Dragon Ball/DBZ Movie Reviews

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Dragon Ball Z Movie 8 - Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

I'm really not sure what to make of this movie. It's got more plot thanks to the runtime bump (70min as opposed to 45), but it's a very thin plot. I mean, the big mystery of the movie is spoiled in the (western) title!

Broly is a neat addition to the lore. Most of the Cell Saga is dedicated to deconstructing the Super Saiyan mythology that the Freeza Saga build up, and Movie 8 jumps in the bandwagoon by showing us what the Legendary Super Saiyan is really supposed to be. I also like how Broly doesn't actually give a fuck to Paragus plan or Vegeta, and actually has beef with Goku instead. Or at least I would if the backstory behind his motives didn't make me suicidal. How does he even remember that?

Anyway, after Paragus' antics (which don't make any sense. Why not have Broly kill them instead of the comet?) are ruined by Broly we get what's perhaps the best stomp match in the series. Broly's fighting style is just brutal, and it also helps that unlike his M10 self, Broly is lucid and can talk, so he's not just a retarded mass of muscle. He mocks everyone, blows ups the planet of the slaves for laughs, actively threatens Goku's kid. This is one of the very few times Vegeta is actually reduced to trembling on his knees, and it's great. No wonder Koyama faps Broly so much.

That is, until the ending. Sure, the Genki-Dama was starting to get repetitive, but what the fuck happens here? Did Goku find Broly's weak spot? Or did Broly simply blow up with power? The movies makes a point to show us Broly having to throw Ki blasts because he had too much Ki accumulated, and in the Brazilian dub (Which rarely deviates from the Japanese script) Goku says Broly shouldn't rely so much on his "super powers". I have no idea what happened, but at least it's over.

4.5/10.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
& the ending-music i think:

ClearcutShallowJaguarundi-size_restricted.gif

& everything-else i think

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Dragon Ball Z Movie 9 - Bojack Unbound

This movie is so much fun. This is the first (and only good one) of three movies without Goku. We get a tournament for the first time in a while, and it’s pretty fun. The tournament also allows Yamcha and Tenshinhan to appear and get some shine. Well, as shine as these two can get. The events of this movie feat into the timeline pretty easily too. And the visuals are stunning. I dare to say DBZ never looked this good.

So what that Bojack and gang have no personality? They’re fucking blue space pirates. How cool is that?

Also is it just me or Bojack was locked inside Earth? The common sense is that he was inside Kaio’s world, but Kaio says Goku’s fight with Cell damaged the planet Bojack and co. were in, and they fought on Earth… no idea why they took 3 years to get to Earth though.

7/10

Last edited:

SIAD

Elite
Dragon Ball Z Movie 8 - Bojack Unbound

This movie is so much fun. This is the first (and only good one) of three movies without Goku. We get a tournament for the first time in a while, and it’s pretty fun. The tournament also allows Yamcha and Tenshinhan to appear and get some shine. Well, as shine as these two can get. The events of this movie feat into the timeline pretty easily too. And the visuals are stunning. I dare to say DBZ never looked this good.

So what that Bojack and gang have no personality? They’re fucking blue space pirates. How cool is that?

Also is it just me or Bojack was locked inside Earth? The common sense is that he was inside Kaio’s world, but Kaio says Goku’s fight with Cell damaged the planet Bojack and co. were in, and they fought on Earth… no idea why they took 3 years to get to Earth though.

7/10
That's Movie 9.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Must have been 3 years only in Trunks’ time then. That or Chi-Chi isn’t a much better parent than Goku.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I don’t really want to watch M10. I have tried a couple times since dropping the M9 review, but meh. Couldn’t find the Brazilian dub on Youtube either (which is pretty surprising) so it’s probably a good signal. Just gonna drop this 1/10 score here.

M11 is actually better than M10, but I don’t want to watch either so 1.1/10.

Pakl

High Class Warrior

7/10
Do you know why Goku doesn't appear in these movies?

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate

7/10
Bojack Unbound is the best Movie in the franchise objectively, although I have a soft spot for Path To Power.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Watched all the movies back in 2021 but I think I stopped giving updates after M9 or so. Here's my tier list including the Z Specials and Super movies:
1681861461507.png

HunterR18

Low Class Warrior
All movies are good, the only one that shouldn't be made is Movie 11 (they should have created another villain)

10/10 for all movies