Dragon Ball joyful memories

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
What are the best memories you can think of when reading DB or watching it? It can be feelings of certain scenes too ofc.

Future Warrior

Elite
It's not really my favorite moment but I think the most that stood out to me as a kid was when Goku arrived on the scene against Freeza. So epic.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Make the "best memories" from the title as "some great memories". It'd be more encompassing. Also, it can be both in regards to irl moments of when you were watching it way back, or scenes from the show that got you thrilled.

Warmmedown

Elite
Goku vs Vegeta is the most iconic fictional fight ever for me. The silent staredown, Vegeta trying to keep up with x3kaioken, Goku's flying kick, the shot of Goku's kaioken kamehameha and Goku's wild eyes as he fires it.

The most shocking scene for me was when Kid Buu abruptly destroyed the Earth. I was like "what the fuck?!" Coming from Western media it was already a surprise when Goku lost the tournaments and when Gohan got his neck broken, but I still never expected they could fail to stop the Earth's destruction. Being my first anime, there were lots of violent scenes and deaths that felt boundary-pushing at the time, which now don't feel like such a big deal since I've seen so many other anime. Dragon Ball can probably go underappreciated nowadays, because so many other shows have built upon what it introduced. I wonder how it is for newer anime fans, many of whom I imagine started with shows like One Piece and Demon Slayer and who might not find Dragon Ball so ground-breaking.

Goku defeating King Piccolo was amazing. Of course it was a sad and hopeless part of the series, with major character deaths, but Goku continuing to fight even in that hopeless situation is why it was so amazing. Defeated multiple times and even with all his training he ends up having only one arm remaining, but he had the tenacity and resourcefulness to try one last attack. Yeh it's an anime cliche to deliver a big attack after being beaten up, but even today it's a quite extreme example of it and he truly delivered the most powerful attack possible while at his most injured. It's also unique because being driven into that corner due to his injuries is what made him resort to a more powerful attack. In a show like One Piece Luffy or Zoro will use their most powerful attack to finish the battle, but the invention of the attack isn't borne out of being on the brink of defeat, whereas Goku wouldn't have come up with the idea to launch himself at King Piccolo if he hadn't already been crippled. When the mind has no way out, it can become incredibly resourceful and this scene mirrors that. Or not...maybe I'm giving it too much credit.

I can't think about farming or delivering milk without remembering Goku and Krillin's training. That was a really fun part of the show. And Krillin playing a personal role in Gohan's life years later is nice. I'm actually glad Toriyama had some characters settling down into some level of normalcy, like Gohan becoming a professor and Krillin starting a family (or even how Bulma and Chi Chi act more maturely than their younger selves), rather than everyone being like Goku, Vegeta and Tien.

I loved the sense of adventure in Dragon Ball. Going underwater was the best part for that, with the pirate robot and General Blue. And just seeing fighters enjoying fighting for the love of martial arts. Not because they hate each other or because someone wants to destroy the Earth. Fuck.

Warmmedown

Elite
IRL, I remember regularly going to my neighbours' house when I was 8 after school and watching DBZ there sometimes, but without knowing the plot. And watching the pirated Fusion Reborn movie on their PC. Nice times.
Oh yeh and the song that plays when Gohan is SSJ2 against Bojack is the tune that taught me to whistle.

I remember being super pumped up every time Rock the Dragon came on when I was like 5. Crazy it turned into my favourite show at 17, considering I barely thought about it for several years.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I've got a few.

In terms of watching the show, I'll never forget my introduction to the series. It was in 2000-2003 when I was a little kid. For whatever reason back then in Canada the cartoon channels only had access to the Boo arc by Funimation. The first time I watched the show was the episode where Goku transformed into Super Saiyan 3 and I was instantly hooked. Over the next three years the Boo arc would constantly play on repeat. I knew that part of the story so well even back then from continually watching it, and perhaps that was what inspired me to watch literally nothing but Dragon Ball Z for years when I eventually got my own laptop.

In terms of IRL, I think Dragon Ball is partly responsible for instilling my work ethic in me, at least in terms of physical activity. I played hockey since I was maybe 4-5 years old but was never that good in my youngest years. I remember when I got a hockey net for Christmas maybe around my 10th birthday and I could finally start practicing at home. Playing road hockey was always most fun with friends and with a goalie, but it was hard to find people to play with all the time, so I had to practice alone. I vividly remember being inspired by DBZ whenever I was getting bored of shooting into the empty net. I would always imagine that I was Goku, and Goku would never stop training even if it was boring. Or I would pretend to be a Super Saiyan and have infinite energy. Regardless, it was something I used almost every day as motivation back then, and I eventually got pretty good at the sport. Had I not seen DBZ at a young age, I highly doubt I would be motivated to be in the shape that I'm in now.

I'm sure many people have similar stories/experiences as me. It shows just how influential Toriyama was on so many of our lives. Truly the greatest of all time.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Goku’s journey at Muscle Tower was enjoyable for me.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Mine started with going to the local video store after class in elementary school when I was still living in Korea. My exposure prior to DB at the time had been sporadic episodes here and there and looking at my dad's copy of DB Final Bout. I was instantly hooked, read up to the beginning of the Cell Game in a few days. I was always checking out DB fansites and watching it at any point that I was able, and I still look back on the series and discuss it to this day.