Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero

SIAD

Elite
So it might make sense that Jiren isn't much more powerful than Vegeta and Goku SSJB? Considering everything that has increased the power of him between the ToP and the Arc Granolah.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
There is no statement suggesting that CG Gohan > adult Gohan in the movie (sub), unlike the dub. Piccolo merely says it's been a while since he gave him weighted clothing, and Gohan remarks that it's heavy, but gravity/weight resistance has always been inconsistent like with Trunks struggling with 150G when Goku flew around in 100G while his base power was weaker than Ginyu. And there's nothing that suggests the weights are the same weight as the cape he wore as a child.
[9:43 PM]
They also use present tense when saying Jiren isn't far above them in power, so Jiren >/>= SH arc Blue Goku/Vegeta.
[9:44 PM]
However, we do see that Gohan, in spite of doing occasional training like practicing the Makankosappo, is rusty in battle sense to the point that he didn't recognize Piccolo's Ki when he was disguised as RRA soldier 94.
[9:45 PM]
Mindless Cell Max (even after losing an arm) >= Goku + Vegeta, as well (seeing as Gohan said they might/would not have been able to beat him even if they were here), meaning Gohan Beast >> Jiren >= Orange Piccolo > Blueku/Bluegeta in raw power, seeing as Orange Piccolo lasted quite a bit against Cell Max. (edited)
[9:50 PM]
For the movie itself, I don't think it's very good, but the first 30 minutes were great with the footage of Future Trunks being shown and it being explained Magenta funded Gero's project. It was also more convincing than I expected, Magenta's false story for convincing Hedo to join his campaign. But as soon as Gohan joined the fray the movie felt as low stakes as it could get and it sucks that the Gammas never even beat Gohan or Piccolo, rather than Gamma #1 beating Ultimate Gohan through learning his fighting style and teaming up with Gamma #2 to give Orange Piccolo a good fight before going down. Cell Max was basically just Bio-Broly but bigger and Piccolo doesn't feel as smart as he's ought to be with him forgetting to wish Goku and Vegeta to Earth and forgetting his own gigantification ability. It's still above average for Super standards, but feels like an inferior version of Mewtwo Strikes Back (or any movie with a hostage and infiltration situation) with DB characters.

My thoughts on the movie after watching it, in addition to what I wrote in the Rate the Last Movie/TV Show thread.

Sovran Nila

High Class Warrior
Sovereign Master of Spamifestation
Just now realized that an HD English Dub source is hosted online. Today is the day that I finally watch this movie!

Sovran Nila

High Class Warrior
Sovereign Master of Spamifestation
I have just watched the movie. I wasn't particularly fond of the pseudo-3D animation style, although I didn't dislike it either. The audial/musical budget must have been increased for this movie because the OST was terrific. I shed a few tears. Overall, I enjoyed the movie.

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 13.37.51.png

Diamond Ryan

High Class Warrior
I liked certain parts of the movie. It felt like it actually had some soul in it.

My favorite part of the movie was probably when Piccolo went into his giant form, and he mentioned that the form didn't increase his power at all. It shows that they actually put research into a rather underrepresented part of the series, as it would've been all too easy to make the giant form a direct power up.

I didn't really like Beast Gohan, I felt it was pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme of things, especially considering that Piccolo wasn't even killed by Cell's attack, cheapening the reason why Gohan transformed in the first place. However, I didn't mind Orange Piccolo all that much, as I think it's about time that they gave Piccolo some sort of transformation.

Overall, I enjoyed it and was glad they gave the side characters some time to shine. If there was something I could change it would probably be at least showing Teen Gotenks at the end of the movie. It was pretty disappointing that they didn't even show him despite them doing the Fusion Dance at the end of the movie.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I liked certain parts of the movie. It felt like it actually had some soul in it.

My favorite part of the movie was probably when Piccolo went into his giant form, and he mentioned that the form didn't increase his power at all. It shows that they actually put research into a rather underrepresented part of the series, as it would've been all too easy to make the giant form a direct power up.

I didn't really like Beast Gohan, I felt it was pretty unnecessary in the grand scheme of things, especially considering that Piccolo wasn't even killed by Cell's attack, cheapening the reason why Gohan transformed in the first place. However, I didn't mind Orange Piccolo all that much, as I think it's about time that they gave Piccolo some sort of transformation.

Overall, I enjoyed it and was glad they gave the side characters some time to shine. If there was something I could change it would probably be at least showing Teen Gotenks at the end of the movie. It was pretty disappointing that they didn't even show him despite them doing the Fusion Dance at the end of the movie.
This was definitely one of the better Dragon Ball movies. I agree with pretty much everything you said. Orange Piccolo was cool, but I wish he was able to shine more than what he was given. He had that moment where he was tanking Gamma's attacks, but then he was basically just a punching bag for Cell.

Cell Max was also pretty meh. Was trying not to laugh at all of the screaming, but the production quality of the film did make him seem threatening. Still seems like a pretty big asspull to be able to create androids and a version of Cell that powerful, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the film.

Beast Gohan also seemed pointless. Gohan needing to transform after his potential unlock makes little sense in the first place, but this is Super.