Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

Future Warrior

Elite
From Bandai Namco:

-1685425684.jpg

In 2019, the project of a New Game focusing on the World of Dragon Ball Z begins!
And more news coming to DRAGON BALL FighterZ! The Warrior from Universe 11 is joining the fight!
More information to be revealed at the DRAGON BALL FighterZ World Tour Finals in January 26th ~ 27th!

pbs-twimg-com-media-Dx-RMVq-HX0-AARU0-M.jpg

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Could be promising. Hopefully it's good.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
The visuals at least look great. Not quite as vibrant as the cel-shading Xenoverse 2 had provided, but still one of the best looking DBZ games out there. I just wonder how much of the story is going to be covered, given the trailer only shows clips up to the Freeza Arc.

It being an RPG is intriguing, especially given how that'd imply some form of a level-up system. At best, it may combine the RPG elements of LoG2/Buu's Fury with the combat of more standard DB Games to make for a really unique experience, hopefully minus the more pointless quests in the main story and fodder villains.

It was nice to hear Cha-La-Head-Cha-La in a game again. Hopefully, it makes it into the main game. I also hope they fix the error of not including the kanji on Freeza Arc Goku's gi.

Hope they come up with a good official title though.

Future Warrior

Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
The visuals at least look great. Not quite as vibrant as the cel-shading Xenoverse 2 had provided, but still one of the best looking DBZ games out there. I just wonder how much of the story is going to be covered, given the trailer only shows clips up to the Freeza Arc.

It being an RPG is intriguing, especially given how that'd imply some form of a level-up system. At best, it may combine the RPG elements of LoG2/Buu's Fury with the combat of more standard DB Games to make for a really unique experience, hopefully minus the more pointless quests in the main story and fodder villains.

It was nice to hear Cha-La-Head-Cha-La in a game again. Hopefully, it makes it into the main game. I also hope they fix the error of not including the kanji on Freeza Arc Goku's gi.

Hope they come up with a good official title though.

It's a real shame they didn't add OG DB as that part of the story would fit perfectly into an RPG setting. I don't get how they could call it ''Goku's story'' if they're gonna leave out his childhood adventures which makes up 1/3 of the entire manga. I honestly wouldn't mind the game starting with first appearance Goku and ending with Namek since that's when Goku's entire character arc comes full circle imo. Maybe even add some Z Movies into the mix.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Very few Z-centered games cover part 1 stuff in general. Infinite World was basically a reskin of Budokai 3 and it even cut Kid Goku in favor of adding more GT bullshit.

Void

Elite
Retired Staff
I'm sure the later arcs will be added as DLC. $$$$

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
If this is limited to Z then I won't be buying it.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Future Warrior said:
It's a real shame they didn't add OG DB as that part of the story would fit perfectly into an RPG setting. I don't get how they could call it ''Goku's story'' if they're gonna leave out his childhood adventures which makes up 1/3 of the entire manga. I honestly wouldn't mind the game starting with first appearance Goku and ending with Namek since that's when Goku's entire character arc comes full circle imo. Maybe even add some Z Movies into the mix.
I agree, though I think marketing and profit played a major part in that. DBZ games tend to sell a lot better than ones focusing on Part 1, with the Z era having more brand recognition and memorability to casual audiences on an international scale.

Either that or, as Void said, it'll be DLC for extra money.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Even if they advertise it as a Z game, why not include part 1 as well? Literally no game in recent memory has covered it to my knowledge. Such shit.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Probably as the length of the Part 1 material would overshadow that of Z if assuming it's sticking to the Freeza Arc as the cutoff point. The difference that would be needed in play styles when merging DB and Z material would be difficult to do fluidly. Even when the Tenkaichi games did this, they had to take quite a few liberties in how the Part 1 characters fought to make it work such as most of them lacking bukujutsu, and the only arc of DB that wouldn't have this as a major problem would be the 23rd TB.

Warmmedown

Elite
Defo looking forwards to this. Apparently it's an action RPG though, so I guess it won't be a sequel to Attack of the Saiyans. Wonder who the dev will be; attack of th saiyans was Monolith Soft (Japanese) and Legacy of Goku was Webfoot Technoolgies who who were American so probs aren't doing this one. It'll be cool to see a new take on it, hopefully the atmosphere of the game is quite romantic and grand like Final Fanrasy, which'll be different to the Legacy of goku stuff.

Future Warrior

Elite
Warmmeup said:
Defo looking forwards to this. Apparently it's an action RPG though, so I guess it won't be a sequel to Attack of the Saiyans. Wonder who the dev will be; attack of th saiyans was Monolith Soft (Japanese) and Legacy of Goku was Webfoot Technoolgies who who were American so probs aren't doing this one. It'll be cool to see a new take on it, hopefully the atmosphere of the game is quite romantic and grand like Final Fanrasy, which'll be different to the Legacy of goku stuff.

Developer is CyberConnect2, the same guys responsible for the Naruto Ultimate Ninja storm series if you're familiar with that line of games.

Warmmedown

Elite
Oh cool. Since they've done loads of anime stuff and did the .Hack action rpgs and almost did the FF7 remake, so should be able to do a good job.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
As a tl;dw for the video above, there's a few main things to gather:

- The game won't be covering Part 1 material, though Part 1 characters such as #8 will appear as cameos for side-missions.
- The staff member hinted it will go beyond the Freeza Arc, saying that they plan on not leaving fans disappointed and having a faithful experience of the anime. He also hinted it may go beyond Z when saying it will cover "mainly Z", so unless that was a translation error, we might see some Super content.
- It will indeed have a level system as in most RPGs and the side-quests seem to function much like those of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series. Essentially, it is indeed 3D Legacy of Goku.
- Seems the game will be liberal when it comes to costume accuracy, given Goku doesn't remove his weights in the Raditz fight.
- Movie characters will not be part of the story.
- Both the original and an instrumental of Cha-La-Head-Cha-La are in the game. Shut up and take my money!

Future Warrior

Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
As a tl;dw for the video above, there's a few main things to gather:

- The game won't be covering Part 1 material, though Part 1 characters such as #8 will appear as cameos for side-missions.
- The staff member hinted it will go beyond the Freeza Arc, saying that they plan on not leaving fans disappointed and having a faithful experience of the anime. He also hinted it may go beyond Z when saying it will cover "mainly Z", so unless that was a translation error, we might see some Super content.
- It will indeed have a level system as in most RPGs and the side-quests seem to function much like those of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm series. Essentially, it is indeed 3D Legacy of Goku.
- Seems the game will be liberal when it comes to costume accuracy, given Goku doesn't remove his weights in the Raditz fight.
- Movie characters will not be part of the story.
- Both the original and an instrumental of Cha-La-Head-Cha-La are in the game. Shut up and take my money!

[youtube]AGz2k9Uoazo[/youtube]

Essentially this game is trying to relive what it's like to be Goku during the Z era such as being able to detect Ki readings and the opponents battle power. Power scaling is kept true to the source material meaning no PvP either. This potentially may be my favorite DB game to date.

[mention]Fantastische Hure[/mention] I think you finally have a worthy contender for your perfect image of what a DB game should be.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
So, a lot of new things to mention with some new videos and trailers that have been released:

[youtube]5Y9zSlzDHVI[/youtube]
[youtube]SFiVQxmFEMY[/youtube]
[youtube]QJ39G1RSG5U[/youtube]

To summarise:

- The game will at least go up to the end of the Cell Arc.
- You can play as more characters than Goku, those being Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta as well as (possibly) Kuririn, Yamcha and Tenshinhan. In other words, it's very much like a 3D Legacy of Goku II.
- There are many options when it comes to visitable locations on the open world.
- It looks like the game may include the 3 year training as part of the experience.
- There seems to be quite the level spike from the end of the Freeza Arc to the end of the Cell Arc, seemingly going from around Level 20 or so for opponents to Level 52. That is pretty speculative though, given a screenshot also shows a Level 23 Vegeta fighting against a Level 19 Cui, so maybe opponent level is lowered or heightened depending on the anticipated character level (Goku is away from a lot of the action throughout a good chunk of both the Freeza and Cell Arcs, after all).