Favourite DragonBall moments

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Well...

First the first series (as-in how that was in the anime).

Some of mine:

Goku & Kuririn & Muten-Roshi-sama chilling

the afore-mentioned maybe (not the afore-mentioned, but before the afore-mentioned, which I know makes no sense, but if you kept-up with my posts you might know)

Goku & Muten-Roshi-sama dancing

Kuririn's ovation after his fight against Piccolo Jr., especially I think I think Muten-Roshi-sama

Goku defeating Tao-Pai-Pai

Goku defeating Piccolo-Daimao

Goku's catching Karin

Goku laughing at Bulma & Kame-sen'nin exercising

Goku & Kuririn & Kame-sen'nin & Lunch wearing that for we know why was just lol

Their training & Goku's training with Karin was also kewl

Goku appearing 3 years after Piccolo-Daimao's defeat

A-lot of the early jokes

Maybe more, but can't remember I think I think I think.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
How could I almost forget Goku re-uniting with Grand-Pa Gohan? I'm almost crying agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain.

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Kid Goku vs Roshi ought to be mentioned; well-choreographed and a valuable learning experience for Goku. Also liked how serious things got later on with Krillin's death and the King Piccolo situation in general.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I liked the shift in tone starting from the 22nd Budokai until the end of the Piccolo Daimao arc. That entire stretch of the manga is among my favourite parts of the series. Other than that, Goku vs Roshi and Goku vs Gohan come to mind.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I liked the shift in tone starting from the 22nd Budokai until the end of the Piccolo Daimao arc. That entire stretch of the manga is among my favourite parts of the series. Other than that, Goku vs Roshi and Goku vs Gohan come to mind.
Don’t you feel like, whilst the 22nd was more serious, it was closer to a drama than Piccolo-Daimao to an extent? A-lot of it was Tenshinhan trying to decide which way to go in the end. To go with Kame-sen’nin & co. or to stay loyal. More to do with that internal conflict.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Don’t you feel like, whilst the 22nd was more serious, it was closer to a drama than Piccolo-Daimao to an extent? A-lot of it was Tenshinhan trying to decide which way to go in the end. To go with Kame-sen’nin & co. or to stay loyal. More to do with that internal conflict.
Sure, but the overall atmosphere of the tournament led perfectly into the Piccolo Daimao arc. The 22nd Budokai felt as though the stakes had risen and things had finally gotten serious, which was then the direction that the Piccolo Daimao arc took.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
^ Since Z was brought up, may as well ask this now:

@Fantastische Hure Is there any aspect of DBZ that you prefer to DB? You seem so fond of the original, so just curious.
I like the hype moments (transformation scenes & such). At the same time I also like the sense of progression (Goku having children, but Goku also grew-up by the end of DragonBall).

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
To be honest I think some of the filler stuff is highly underrated.

Goku's training between Baba and 22 had some great episodes like Sky Dragon and InoChikaCho where we first meet Ten and Chaozu. His training between 22 and 23 with Kami saw some good episodes too like the time travel episode where we meet Mutaito and a young Roshi and the Magma episode which focuses on Krillin, Yamcha, Ten and Chaozu's training. I really thought the DB anime filler focused on all the right things.

But obviously the purer martial arts fights are the highlights of the series, especially the silly 21st World Tournament, though my favorite fight is Goku vs Krillin in the 22nd Tournament.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
There’s some bad filler too though like Chi Chi and the Ox King reappearing in the Red Ribbon Army Arc, somewhat spoiling Chi Chi’s appearance in the 23rd Budokai Arc. In general though, the filler in Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z helps flesh out the characters by quite a bit, since the Manga is surprisingly fast paced.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
To be honest I think some of the filler stuff is highly underrated.

Goku's training between Baba and 22 had some great episodes like Sky Dragon and InoChikaCho where we first meet Ten and Chaozu. His training between 22 and 23 with Kami saw some good episodes too like the time travel episode where we meet Mutaito and a young Roshi and the Magma episode which focuses on Krillin, Yamcha, Ten and Chaozu's training. I really thought the DB anime filler focused on all the right things.

But obviously the purer martial arts fights are the highlights of the series, especially the silly 21st World Tournament, though my favorite fight is Goku vs Krillin in the 22nd Tournament.
You know the journey to finding Karin’s water was also amazing. That didn’t happen.

IIRC, DragonBall & DragonBall Z have a similar ratio in-terms of filler, yet DragonBall felt so much better in that regard.

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
I like the hype moments (transformation scenes & such). At the same time I also like the sense of progression (Goku having children, but Goku also grew-up by the end of DragonBall).
Those hype moments is largely why DBZ became so iconic. The extensive world-building also makes you realise that the first series only scratched the surface as to what's out there. In that sense, it took things to the next level.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Those hype moments is largely why DBZ became so iconic. The extensive world-building also makes you realise that the first series only scratched the surface as to what's out there. In that sense, it took things to the next level.
True, but seeing Goku grow-up makes everything much more special than it otherwise would be. To see Goku from training from Master-Roshi to becoming the Legendary SSJ is epic.

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
True, but seeing Goku grow-up makes everything much more special than it otherwise would be. To see Goku from training from Master-Roshi to becoming the Legendary SSJ is epic.
To be fair, DBZ was its own beast with how it left an imprint on popular culture. That's why loads of fans and even non-fans can recall a bunch of Z moments with barely any knowledge about the original show.

What you're saying rings true for people like us who know both series entirely and can appreciate all that.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
One thing I like is Roshi mentioning how Goku matured when commenting he wasn't so emotional as to attack Tenshinhan when he broke Yamcha's leg. Shows recognition and thought over Goku's maturing. I like the Muscle Tower part too. Seeing levels built up to it, in a simple way without too many explanations like HxH, for instance, and seeing everyone get blown away at Goku every step up he made was very funny.

The Piccolo getting a senzu from Goku, saying their fight is over for a while and Bulma recognising how the little child Goku became so imposed... With Roshi remembering Kami how he, despite creating Piccolo, gave all them the means necessary to defeat this evil... Through the DBs... Was also a brilliant token.

I like the overall characters interactions too. Seeing Goku meeting Yamcha again at the 21st Budokai, and then Kuririn bounding with Yamcha through their training to the 22nd Budokai... And Kuririn interacting and getting to know Bulma better through their adventure in the ocean cave (another very funny mini saga) was also all very cool and well handled.