FighterZ

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
So I was planning in getting a Dragon Ball game for PS4. Is then the FighterZ the best option for such in your guys opinions? Or maybe some Tenkaichi Budokai game?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
ahill1 said:
So I was planning in getting a Dragon Ball game for PS4. Is then the FighterZ the best option for such in your guys opinions? Or maybe some Tenkaichi Budokai game?
They got Budokai-Tenkaichi on the PS4 now?

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
The only games on PS4 are the Xenoverse games and FighterZ.

As for FighterZ, the game is awesome. Having said that, it is a 2D fighting game with a 24 character roster. That isn't everyone's cup of tea. I personally prefer this to the 3D arena based games, but I can understand why some Dragon Ball fans don't care for this type of game. Outside of that, the game has gorgeous visuals and animations.

So it really comes down to what you're looking for. There's that Jump All-Stars game that has various Anime/Manga characters. Maybe look into that, too.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'd say for PS4 DB Games, FighterZ >> Xenoverse 2. FighterZ's combat feels very balanced in terms of both character usage and skill difference between players, plus it's battles are fast paced with few lasting much longer than a minute. Compared to that Xenoverse 2's Parallel Quests tend to stretch on for around 10 minutes for the later ones and become a repetitive grind, not to mention the terrible RNG system.

That's not to say FighterZ is perfect, as it still has a lot of flaws that stop it from being the best DB game as many say it is. For one, Super attacks can be frustrating to pull off due to needing to move the analogue stick in a very precise manner. There's also the flaws in combat of it being extremely difficult to do anything to an opponent once they get you in the corner and start hammering you relentlessly, not to mention Sparking Blast being so much of a game changer that it's completely broken if used right. Also, the main lobby and server reliability is absolute trash, as well as some online features such as Arena Match being pretty pointless. Once you've completed all the story arcs, done arcade and played a significant amount of online battles, there's also not much left to do in the game either.

Still one of the best DB Games, but still ranks below Budokai 3, Tenkaichi 3 and Raging Blast 2 for those issues.

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
Yeah, the single-player experience isn't that good.

I've only completed 3% of story so far. Just don't feel like playing through it.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah, I had thought there was BT for PS4 due to iirc there being it for PS3 as well. When I had my PS3 I remember getting the BT... or was it raging blast? But yeah, think I am going to get FighterZ then. What do you mean by 2D and 3D game arena, EV? Yeah, I am really noob at those game stuff haha.

Moreover, I really enjoyed playing the BT for PS2, but moreso because it followed the origial plot of the manga as the baseline for the missions. From the little I have seen from FighterZ in some videos, it seems its mission is linked to a made-up scenario, like Goku having amnesia and fighting #16. Is that right?

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
2D is basically referring to the game taking place in a 2D setting. You know those games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat where the characters are facing each other?

images

1051793966.jpg

Those are 2D. You probably played a lot of games back in the day where your character is just going in one direction, like Contra and old school games like that. Same thing here.

HandyFixedArcticduck-size_restricted.gif

As you know with the Budokai Tenkaichi series, characters are moving in all sorts of directions, with the camera angles constantly changing, and the characters barely ever facing each other in a straightforward position. You can move your character in various directions, which is something that takes place in a 3D game.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
The story mode is rather terrible, filled with clone after clone to fight. At least it doesn't require you to beat every clone to progress to the next stage, that would've made the experience much worse.

But in terms of gameplay, it's easily the best game to grace the DB franchise since LoG II and Budokai 3 in my opinion. Never was a fan of the Tenkaichi games at all.

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
Yeah, you can link with the characters and basically earn the trust and build relationships with other characters throughout the story.

It's definitely different from the original story. I know a lot of people say they're tired of seeing the same story, but I actually enjoyed doing the stories in different games.

Supersonic Warriors is probably my favorite when it comes to unique stories.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
I see. Thanks for the explanation, EV. I really appreciate it. Doesn't the graphic look generally worse in a 2D based game though?

Hmm, I get it. I'd like if the missions were based upon on what happened in the original story (even more so because I sometimes feel I am right there into the story when following its footsteps, which is cool), but okay, might be worth giving it a try when I get the enough money haha. I really enjoyed how I could also play the training sessions in the BT for play 2... training Goku in the spaceship when he was on his way to Namek and then training Gohan in the RoSaT was pretty lit. You just had to press some buttons but it was still cool lol.

Future Warrior

Elite
Xenoverse is the type of game I wouldn't recommend for anybody that isn't a DB fan. The gameplay gets repetitive way too fast (pretty much just button mashing), and the netcode is absolute GARBAGE. XV1 and XV2's story is almost a carbon copy of each other. It has a large roster though, but I doubt you'll even play 80% of them. The rest of the content involves parallel quests, mentor training, and raids (the worst one out of all of these). I wouldn't have played the game for this long if it wasn't for DLC being released.

There's a reason why FighterZ has been generating a lot of hype ever since it's reveal. It is the first game (since Super DBZ from 2005) to have competitive play, and appeals to both DB fans and competitive fighting gamers alike. Although having far fewer characters than the average db game, each of those characters have unique play styles that can keep you far more invested into learning them than something like XV. Even casual gamers are being welcomed by implementing auto combos to their game (though this won't get you far in online play). Look up some guides on YT to learn some combo strings if you're willing to put work into it, and trust me it's worth it in the end. The netcode is also far superior to XV. The game isn't perfect though obviously. The story mode albeit interesting, is quite repetitive by making you fight clones 95% of the time and you'll find yourself trying to rush through it to unlock #21. Arcade mode probably isn't something that'll you'll find yourself playing other than to just unlock SSGSS Goku and Vegeta. It has far less content than XV has if that's something that you care about. You'll also experience the occasional lag when playing online matches. Besides all of this though, this game's pros heavily outweigh the cons. To me, this is my most favorite db game.

I guess It's a matter of quality vs quantity.

Evil Vegeta

High Class Warrior
I don't believe so. The main thing with 2D is that it restricts what you can do in terms of movement, whereas 3D is more of an open environment that generally allows you to go anywhere.

For example, 2D Ultimate Battle 22:

3iJCZMX.gif

Compare that to 3D Legends:

AB6ygcT.gif

Also, this isn't shown in the video, but if you fly far out with Gohan or Goku, you'll end up in a city. Same if you fight the Ginyu Force and decide to explore the entire environment. That's the main thing with 2D and 3D in Dragon Ball games. The good thing with FighterZ is that it retains all types of craziness that can take place since it's 3v3. You can knock characters through buildings, mountains, and other areas to change the setting as well.

DBZAOTA482

High Class Warrior
As a pure fighting game, FighterZ is easily the best in the franchise. It has the perfect balance between accessibility and functionality.

But as an overall game, I'd say Budokai 3 is better. FighterZ's single-player content is very underwhelming and the netcode sucks.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Budokai 3 has potential, but it has too many limitations. Budokai Tenkaichi 3 tries too hard, as well.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Budokai 3 could've bgeen beautiful had it not been missing story modes for Freeza, Future Trunks, #17, #18, Cell, Goten, Kid Trunks and all forms of Boo. Replacing all of that with that faggot ass Dragon Arena nonsense was retarded. Goku requiring 5 Transformation capsules to be able to turn SSJ4 while Vegeta only needed 3, as well as the Breakthrough Capsule for kid and "teen" Gohan costing more slots than their actual movepools showed laziness.

DBZAOTA482

High Class Warrior
Budokai 3 could've bgeen beautiful had it not been missing story modes for Freeza, Future Trunks, #17, #18, Cell, Goten, Kid Trunks and all forms of Boo. Replacing all of that with that faggot ass Dragon Arena nonsense was retarded. Goku requiring 5 Transformation capsules to be able to turn SSJ4 while Vegeta only needed 3, as well as the Breakthrough Capsule for kid and "teen" Gohan costing more slots than their actual movepools showed laziness.
Breakthrough increases the damage of death moves by 50% compared to 25% by stacking two.

Future Warrior

Elite
I wish we got a RB/BT style game again. Messing around with all the characters is fucking dope.