From Which Sources Did Akira Toriyama Receive Ideas And Inspirations From That Set The Concept And Story For Dragonball Z

Sovran Nila

High Class Warrior
Sovereign Master of Spamifestation
The emphasis here will be on Z; Dragonball Z. Where did Akira Toriyama seek out inspiration and ideas for the concept of DBZ?

The primary concept is of an alien tyrant who runs rampant, enslaving other species/races, and destroying worlds. I'm alluding here to Frieza.

Are there any other depictions of this sort of concept in any other form of media, to your knowledge?

Warmmedown

Elite
Jackie Chan I think he's mentioned and ofc there's the Jackie Chun character. Probably Buce Lee too.

Here's some images of them together
38686062_10156682843920972_3797348339226247168_n.jpg

akira-toriyama-vs-jackie-chan-gifts.jpg

akira-toriyama-vs-jackie-chan-interview-full.jpg

images

MV5BZDI0YzIwMzAtOTBlZC00NDU5LWI4MTEtODY2MDFmYzBkMTNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg

EAQeHZiXkAAYPJF.jpg

Warmmedown

Elite
There's also the part where Jackie Chun fights drunken style, which almost definitely is inspired by the first Jackie Chan Drunken Master movie (second one wasn't out yet).
Surprised nobody in Super has used it yet actually - could have been Vegeta's alternative to Ultra Instinct.

Warmmedown

Elite
Oh al the space stuff, idk. Maybe he was inspired. By superman amd SrarvWarsa, Terminatorb(like Metallic).

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Bruce Lee was his fav. I think. Jackie Chan was there too yeah, but he liked martial-arts movies in-general or something I think. He used to watch them all the time, even when drawing IIRC.

The look Goku gave Freeza after transforming was from Bruce Lee I think.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Yeah, but that's because they are of your era. Have you ever tried to watch any-other martial-arts movie?

Warmmedown

Elite
They're not really my era lol, his best movies (eg Police Story, Wheels on Meals, Project A) are from the 80s and early 90s. I was born in 1993. I've seen The Raid, The Raid 2, Headshot, The Night Comes For Us, Flashpoint, Fearless, Ip Man 1, Ip Man 2 (total trash, the boxer boxes like a retard), several Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung movies and like half of Enter The Dragon (but I've seen other Bruce Lee fight scenes). The Raid, Night Comes For Us and FlashPoint are the best ones by far for the hand-to-hand combat, not even near to being close.

Jackie Chan's movies are unique in that they have stunts and use props in fights in a way nobody else did, certainly not Bruce Lee. Did you know Jackie did his own stunts? Look at the crazy stunts in the first half of that video.

Warmmedown

Elite
I've seen some Jet Li too, like Bulletproof monk. I don't really enjoy fake movies though,. but Jackie gets a pass for his stunts and prop use. Flashpoint has real techniques (since it's MMA-inspired. I was like holy fuck when the first fight had a seio-nage and a flying armbar), Night Comes For Us and The Raid do too to a pretty large extent, plus they just have overall brutal violence.

edit: by fake movies I mean like unrealistic fighting btw, not that it's fictional.

Last edited:

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I don't really enjoy fake movies though,.
So you only watch documentaries?

Jet doesn't do his own stunts? Maybe, now that I think about it.

But you most likely heard about Jackie Chan. Not to mention Rush-Hour, obviously. So you might have a bias toward him.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
There's also the part where Jackie Chun fights drunken style, which almost definitely is inspired by the first Jackie Chan Drunken Master movie (second one wasn't out yet).
Surprised nobody in Super has used it yet actually - could have been Vegeta's alternative to Ultra Instinct.
You watched Luffy vs Eneru lol.

Warmmedown

Elite
I've seen a couple Tony Jaa Muay Thai-style movies too, namely The Protector, SPL II and some of Ong Bak. And that Thai movie Chocolate/Zen Warrior Within, where the girl with autism fights the guy with severe tourettes (literally) lol, it was dumb asf, but people into martial arts movies liked it. The best ones I've seen are still those Iko Uwais Indoesian ones though. Have you seen them? The Raid will blow your mind it's just non-stop action, guns, kicks, elbows, knives, knees, punches, kicks, throws but Night Comes For Us is more anime-style in some ways and has a more complex plot. Forget "martial arts movies", they're the best action movies on the planet. There's no like BS lemme throw some flimsy jab or kick and you'll be KOed because I'm the MC and went "haaaiiiyaahhh", the shit actually looks like a real fight.
So you only watch documentaries?

Jet doesn't do his own stunts? Maybe, now that I think about it.

But you most likely heard about Jackie Chan. Not to mention Rush-Hour, obviously. So you might have a bias toward him.
I meant fake movies when it comes to fighting, obviously.

Nah, I became a big fan of Jackie Chan once I saw that cinemassacre video when I was like 14 and found out about how he does his stunts and stuff and then watched a bunch of his movies when I was 18-19. I've heard way more about Bruce Lee, eg my uncles like Bruce Lee, my fat friend cokehead friend sleeps with a Bruce Lee bodypillow (ahill). Rush Hour is good, but I don't think of it when I say Jackie Chan movies, since it's not one of his hardcore, pre-Hollywood movies, but more of a comedy....the Jackie Chan movies are the ones in the 80s. Don't even talk to me about The Tuxedo or that one where he plays a fricking babysitter.

Jet Li is a Hollywood actor, they generally don't do real stunts, they use special effects instead, which Jackie couldn't afford in the early days, plus him and his team just thought doing the stuff for real looked better (eg they wore special padded shoes so they could actually kick each other). Jackie has broken basically every bone in his body, from his skull, to his pelvis and his ankle in his movies.