Goku vs Gohan Mid-Rosat

Power Level Guy

Mid Class Warrior
Right when Goku first transforms into the Grade forms he says this about Gohan...

---Super Saiyan--- [#CE2#GOH#SSJ]

Chapter: 387 (DBZ 193), P5.5
Goku: “Whoa! When did he get so [good]…He might become really incredible!”

Has Gohan caught up to his father at this point? Is he rivaling him or still weaker?

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Probably weaker. I doubt SSJ Gohan is even in rivaling range of USSJ Goku, for example.

Power Level Guy

Mid Class Warrior
Probably weaker. I doubt SSJ Gohan is even in rivaling range of USSJ Goku, for example.
Well Grade 2 would be surpassing Super Saiyan. I am arguing for Gohan to be relevant to Goku, so that would mean in the same forms.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Gohan must have been very close at that point. I believe it was at that moment that Goku decided Gohan would be their best bet to beat Cell.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Well, that was his plan all along.
The surprise from Goku is telling though. He wasn't expecting Gohan to progress that quickly. But seeing that finalized his plan for sure.

Power Level Guy

Mid Class Warrior
The surprise from Goku is telling though. He wasn't expecting Gohan to progress that quickly. But seeing that finalized his plan for sure.
That's fair. He does seem to confirm his previous plan more solidly in the follow up statement.

How close is Gohan here?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
That's fair. He does seem to confirm his previous plan more solidly in the follow up statement.

How close is Gohan here?
I'd say distantly rivaling Goku is fair. The "might become really incredible" holds Gohan back a little in my opinion.