How much stronger did Charizard get?

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Before training in C. Valley, Charizard seemed strong but obviously had a long way to go. Afterwards, how strong was he? I stopped watching the show and barely remember what all happened in it apart from some key moments, so what's up with my boy Charizard's strength?

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
No Pokemon of Ash's is making it past level 50. Charizard is level 50 max.

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
Ignoring game logic since that doesn't apply to the anime Charizard is far above 100 given all of its feats. Beating an effing Blastoise, evenly matched with Blaziken, taking on 2 legendary Pokémon and even beating one of them.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
He can't even beat the Pokemon league. Charizard's level is probably lower than Lance's in Generation 2.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
If you assume in-game levels apply for Gym Leader Pokémon and the like, Charizard should at least be Level 45 before the training (beat Blaine's Magmar 1 on 1). After the training, it has been seen as a trump card and defeated Noland's Articuno, so probably around Level 50 at least. If you believe Gary's Blastoise equates to it's in-game counterpart at the Indigo Plateau, then Charizard would be between 65 - 70 at least. I'd lean more towards Gary's Blastoise not being as powerful as it's game counterpart though, considering how ridiculously bloated it makes the chain of Pikachu > Regice > Dusclops ~ Charizard during the Ash VS Brandon battle.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Yellow version wasn't released yet when the Magmar episode aired. Though, there's only a month gap.

(However this is probably the reason why Blaine doesn't use Magmar in Generation 1, although him and his anime counterpart both have a Ninetales)