I finally watched Broly 4

Theallpowerfulpuipui

Super Elite
For dragon ball, it was an upper tier movie. It had great fights and enough 'plot' to give the fights some stakes. If you are watching to be entertained and don't flip out over the nonsensical retconning you'll have a good time.

The Good:
- Great fights
- casual fighting in the Earth's mantle
- Beerus finally makes himself useful
- Broly got a GF lined up and he's practically alone with her on his own planet, nice.
- Base Broly is pretty much ToP level.
- Aside from some jokes that strike out big time as usual, the tone is more serious.
- helped me forget about Battle of Gods for a moment which everyone realizes now is objectively awful.
- Paragus has a better motivation

The bad:
- literally the whole movie: "Will Bulma get cosmetic surgery or will Frieza grow 5 cm? Find out the exciting conclusion on the next Dragon Ball Z!!!"
- that's really the plot to the movie sadly
- Broly is still thin in the character department. Gen X Broly is just pure evil, which Saiyans tend to be while Gen Z Broly is "misunderstood." The Hell he should have grown up on should have made him irredeemably evil even if it wasn't completely his fault.
- Paragus' parenting
- the retcon creates more problems than it solves, and drifts the Saiyans further away from their intended characteristics.

The Ugly:
- Frieza fights Broly for a fucking hour, literally
- Base Goku > SSJ God Vegeta
- Goku and Broly are friends in the end. Can't wait for Broly V
- Paragus only made one remote?
- Once Broly gets laid and gets dumped, does Broly turn into a douche?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Pocket-Gog~ said:
BoG is terrible? :what :what
It's pretty bad with its obvious plot holes (Vegeta's rage boost, Oracle Fish having accuracy in a prophecy that happened before Trunks/Cell changed the timeline and showing why destiny doesn't work in a series that has multiple timelines, etc.) though it is still 10/10 compared to the atrocities that succeeded it in Super.

theallpowerfulpuipui said:
- Aside from some jokes that strike out big time as usual, the tone is more serious.
More serious than? Wouldn't really say it can be classed as more serious than a good portion of Super such as the FT Arc with things like Freeza's new goal.

- helped me forget about Battle of Gods for a moment which everyone realizes now is objectively awful.
Agreed. A film with bigger writing problems than FnF will certainly put BoG far out of one's mind :manabu.

Future Warrior

Elite
When I first watched it in theaters I left pretty disappointed due to my high expectations, but after several rewatches I found it more enjoyable. 1 hour of constant fighting was getting a bit too much for me at the time.

Theallpowerfulpuipui

Super Elite
Pocket-Gog~ said:
BoG is terrible? :what :what

aaf.png

Theallpowerfulpuipui

Super Elite
Future Warrior said:
When I first watched it in theaters I left pretty disappointed due to my high expectations, but after several rewatches I found it more enjoyable. 1 hour of constant fighting was getting a bit too much for me at the time.

I guess it was the Home Alone 3 of dragon ball movies :ladd

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Broly amounted to pretty well nothing more than he was in the original films. A giant brute who yelled too much and had no personality at all. He at least had better characterization in the new film, but that doesn't make up for the rest of the film being generic, boring garbage that you come to expect from Dragon Ball movies.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Super Saiyan said:
He at least had better characterization in the new film
Depends how you judge things as a whole on that point. He had more character consistency and fleshed out motivations in his base form, though didn't really have as much of an expressive character as his Movie 8 self did with the cool one liners. Once he went SSJ though, he had absolutely zero characterisation being reduced to a berserker plot device, to the point even Movie 10 Broly with his "KAKAROTTO" screaming had more character.