Mai vs Haga (Duelist Kingdom)

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
This is a standard duel without any Duelist Kingdom field advantages. Mai was able to beat Ryuzaki, but can she beat Haga?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Mai during the Duelist Kingdom finals would stomp. Not sure about the Mai that lost to Jonouchi and Panik though.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Early Mai would get wrecked. She wouldn't be able to stop Weevil's big plays. Not sure about her at Duelist Kingdom but given the praise Pegasus gave her, I think she would win.

Animelover5487

High Class Warrior
End of DK Yami Yugi > Pegasus (Millenium Eye) > Seto Kaiba > End of DK Joey > End of DK Mai > Bandit Keith > Paradox Brothers > Early DK Yami Yugi > Weevil > Rex > Mako Tsunami > Early DK Joey > Early DK Mai

Panik and Mai at that point were both cheaters so it's hard to say which one is truly better but Mai cheated against Rex so her win doesn't count there and seeing as Weevil can give Yami Yugi a tough duel and Rex is always implied to be close to Weevil's level I am willing to say Rex is better than early Mai.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
How did she cheat against Ryuzaki?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Well yeah, but is that really cheating? All that does is allow her to know what card she is drawing.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
She was able to smell the order of cards in her deck, essentially. That allowed her to plan way ahead of time, giving her a very unfair advantage.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I thought it was only the top card? How on earth can she differentiate the scent of every card when they are stacked in a deck? :ha

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
It may be just the top card, looking back at the duel now. But either way, that's a big advantage for her to be able to see even one move more than her opponent. It's less of a risk for her strategies.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
It's an advantage but she still had to be savvy enough to develop those strategies. Idk, she seemed to be a far better duelist than Jonouchi despite losing to him, and Jonouchi also beat Ryuzaki. Yugi also used her duel with Jonouchi as a way to show Kaiba how much Jonouchi had improved, and it seemed to pique Kaiba's interest. I think at worst she is implied to be around that level.

Animelover5487

High Class Warrior
Yeah now that i think about it, I can agree that Mai was better than Joey initially. Joey is my favorite character but a lot of his early duels involve him getting stomped through 3/4 of the duel than using Time Wizard to win the match in the end.

It wasn't until the Bandit Keith duel that I was actually impressed by his skill.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
It honestly baffles me how it took him so long to become competent. I'd say he was showing signs of it after his loss to Kaiba. He proved himself to be useful in the tag team duel against the Labyrinth Brothers. But still, the fact that he was making such moronic moves against Mai, Ryuzaki and Kaiba is pretty sad.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
End of DK Yami Yugi > Pegasus (Millenium Eye) > Seto Kaiba > End of DK Joey > End of DK Mai > Bandit Keith > Paradox Brothers > Early DK Yami Yugi > Weevil > Rex > Mako Tsunami > Early DK Joey > Early DK Mai
wasn't yugi only able to defeat pegasus because his friends blocked pegasus' ability iirc (if u can & want to answer)?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
ye, i think i agree but i think post was also counting millennium-eye which i don't think has a-lot to do with skill i think i think

kaiba might have also been a better duelist but ranked below i think i think :king :king :king

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
With how much better Atem's dueling skill must've gotten throughout DK and Battle City it makes you wonder how the hell normal Yugi surpassed him so quickly at the end

Animelover5487

High Class Warrior
Well they shared the same body, so technically they both were improving. It's established that when they duel their minds and skill-set are both merged, even if Atem is the dominant personality.