High Class Warrior
Donor
Dat ain't gonna fly, tell me why it's wrong first

Satsuki

High Class Warrior
Retired Staff
Kyo said:
Dat ain't gonna fly, tell me why it's wrong first
"wake me up when they're done talking, kariya-sakura scene gave me feels, shit pacing"

There is a shit ton of action, the talking is necessary and I don't mind it at all. Are you one of those guys who needs action constantly to be interested? Cause if you are, okay fine, I'll give it to you, but man. Pacing seems okay to me, it might not be the best, but I think its laid out decently. The one thing I will give you is that Kariya is underused, cause yeah he really is. But Gilgamesh is the man and the fight with Kiritsugu and Kirei was fuckin dope and the ending set up fate/stay which came first anyway.

I look through your entire list and your ratings are very strict, like 6 is fuckin amazing to you and 8 is like dick exploding good. I am generous with my ratings but I still think fate/zero deserves more than a measley five. That show is kick ass and different from fuckin everything airing these days. Fate/stay night is great too but not as good as zero.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
No, I don't need action to be constantly entertained. I gave stuff like Homunculus (manga) high ratings, and I rated stuff like Mirai Nikki low which had a lot of explosive action. It can help but it's not needed.

> talking is necessary

I'd agree with you half the time (the tags are exaggerated ofc). For example, the convos between Gilgamesh and Kirei. Those were necessary. On the other hand, much of the talking in-between battles – most blatant example I can recall was early on, during the Saber/Lancer fight – wasn't. With that fight in particular, they would often completely stop and give verbose explanations complimenting each other's skills and honor. This was trivial imo and didn't provide us with much like Gilgamesh/Kirei convos did, and it could've easily been condensed and given at a more appropriate time. I wish I could come up with more examples but I'm drawing a blank. Been well over a year since I've seen this thing.

About the pacing, there was a lot of stalling besides just talking. For example, I remember one scene where Saber finds Caster (or the other way around) and threatens him and goes "next time I'll do it for real" and then Caster pussies out. It's a battle royale to the death. If you had him, you had him. Good job. Don't let him get away (or tell him to, for that matter), it kills the point. I don't recall her honor or w/e playing a factor in this particular scene either.

I liked Gilgamesh but I didn't think much of him as a character. He was cool, but otherwise he was mostly there to contrast with the not-so-arrogant-kinda-good guys drive Kirei's development. Plot device. And while his power was cool, throwing weapons out of a portal can only entertain you so long (though the visuals help). His ship or whatever was cool though.

I dunno about you but most MAL users tend to not utilize the full scale. Like, 7 is essentially average, 5 is shit, and ratings below 4 are almost unheard of. I once saw someone call School Days "one of the worst things I've ever seen," and then I looked at his list and it was a 6. Extreme example, but you get the point. I just try to utilize the full scale is all, which is why the mean score is a bit lower. 5 doesn't mean I dislike the show, it was just okay. I get that this is basically shit compared to most people since most people fuggin love it, but it's really not bad. Still fine. Yeah it's different from everything airing these days (I generally don't watch too much per season though so I can't describe it well), but it took a few wrong turns I guess.

edit: oops, talk about being verbose, sorry bout dat

Satsuki

High Class Warrior
Retired Staff
See I use the scale like if a show entertains me and I enjoyed watching it I'll give it a seven. Below that is something I kind of struggled to get through, and the only anime I have like 3 or lower are dropped anime. 8-9 is great stuff, 9.5 is exceptional, and 10 is the best.

You have some good points and I'll give you those points. I like the whole honor between knights thing though haha. If we were talking about fate UBW (dunno if you've seen that so wont spoiler anything), I would be even more on board with you here cause that kind of derailed near the end and some parts in the beginning. Especially with Gilgamesh. "You know what, I'ma let you go just cause" kinda bullshit.

But I thought Zero was put together a lot better than that. Kiritsugu is an awesome character who brings much more to the table than the others. Kirei is dope and the development he undergoes with Gilgamesh is awesome. Tohsaka is kinda meh tbh. I fucking loved Rider and the end scene where he died and the dialogue between him and his master. I dunno man, I just think that even on a more rounded scale, it deserves more than what you've given it. But hey, opinions are opinions. Did you like the show? Cause to me, a five means it was just straight up meh.

Also I find that on MAL, fuckin nobody is satisfied with anything. You could have the most glorious anime and people would be like "yeah shit was whack 2/10"

Also Gilgamesh is so strong because the heroic spirits gain their power from their legend. The Epic of Gilgamesh is considered the first great work of literature, therefore the most powerful.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
I see. I can enjoy 5s and up, generally. I say generally because sometimes something will be a 5 because it's boring as shit but there's nothing outright bad about it. See, a 5 basically has an equal amount of good and bad (more or less...) in my eyes and I can live with that. So while I can bring myself to enjoy Zero, I'm also trying to be...realistic? Does that make sense? A lot of people say "why can't you look past the bad and see the good." I can look past it if it's not overwhelming, but I won't ignore it if I think it's bad. I think people, when they say that, expect you to just ignore the bad. But then everything is a 10. Tldr, I can still enjoy Zero to a certain extent.

One thing I wanted to add about Zero is that it's real ambitious. People seem to drawn to shows with ambition more, so they'll occasionally flip shit if I tell them, say, "I liked barakamon more than f/z." Barakamon wasn't trying to change the world, but I just think it did a better job at what it set out to do. But I get where they're coming from <del>and it's nice when people try to get where I'm coming from too.</del> Sorry for rambling but I needed to get that out.

About UBW, nah haven't seen it. Wanted to try the first F/SN first, which apparently sucks cock. I'll get to it someday.

MAL is nothing. You should see /a/.

Satsuki

High Class Warrior
Retired Staff
Kyo said:
People seem to drawn to shows with ambition more, so they'll occasionally flip shit if I tell them, say, "I liked barakamon more than f/z." Barakamon wasn't trying to change the world, but I just think it did a better job at what it set out to do.
I can respect that. I mean I fuckin loved Barakamon hahah. But I think if you base it on what it set out to do, Fate/Zero had much more to do than Barakamon. It's particularly fair to compare the two, but its not that big of a deal.

About UBW, nah haven't seen it. Wanted to try the first F/SN first, which apparently sucks cock. I'll get to it someday.

Its good, don't get me wrong, but its kind of an asspull ending. Still one episode left on Saturday though. The Fate route from back in like 2006 is a fuckin trash adaptation. I had to drop that thing and I rarely drop anime. The visual novel was great though.

MAL is nothing. You should see /a/.

Oh god, yeah /a/ is even worse.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend