Netflix live action series

Warmmedown

Elite
A live action series produced by Tomorrow Studios (a partnership between ITV Studios from the UK and Marty Adelstein, the guy who produced Teen Wolf, Prison Break and Netflix's Cowboy Bebop) and with involvement from Eiichiro Oda (listed as a producer) and with Steven Maeda (screen wrote X-Files, CSI: Miami and Lost) as head screenwriter, started filming in Cape Town in South Africa this year.

You gonna watch? I sure will. Imagine One Piece being in the top 10 in an Anglosphere country. Unimaginable a few years ago.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
I’m going to check it out since it’s One Piece but I’m sure it’ll tank like all the other live action shit Netflix did.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
It's going to suck just like live action Death Note. Esp since it'll require a lot of CG and puppetry to mimic Luffy and Robin's abilities.

Future Warrior

Elite
My expectations aren't high, which may be a good thing since even if it's ''ok'' I'll enjoy it.

Honestly, One Piece is probably the least compatible with live action with how cartoony and zany it is.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
My expectations aren't high, which may be a good thing since even if it's ''ok'' I'll enjoy it.

Honestly, One Piece is probably the least compatible with live action with how cartoony and zany it is.
Only good anime live action have been Alita and Rurouni Kenshin. Death Note was mediocre, I didn't watch Bleach or Fullmetal Alchemist (it was hard to get immersed in the latter with the Japanese actors playing white characters) and DBE and Last Airbender were atrociously bad.

Warmmedown

Elite
Live action Bebop was supposedly decent, although in the end it was disappointing. It was in the top 20 for a little while, even here where nobody born before 1995 cares about anime.

There are load of other good live action anime based séries, but they're dramas rather than action. I am a Hero was a fantastic movie for the horror genre. Kenshin was an awful disjointed mess lol, even though it had one of my favourite mma fighters of all time in it. Just because you havent seen other naime based movies, doesn't mean they don't exist.

OP's powers will be hard to do, but Oda is involved, FMA showed the CGI doesn't have to be bad and it should have a decent budget.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Is it English only?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I think Eiichiro Oda is only listed because he’s the creator, besides having his name listed and actually listening to him are two different things. They could easily pull a DragonBall Evolution and just not listen to him. I have no hopes.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Live action Bebop was supposedly decent, although in the end it was disappointing. It was in the top 20 for a little while, even here where nobody born before 1995 cares about anime.

There are load of other good live action anime based séries, but they're dramas rather than action. I am a Hero was a fantastic movie for the horror genre. Kenshin was an awful disjointed mess lol, even though it had one of my favourite mma fighters of all time in it. Just because you havent seen other naime based movies, doesn't mean they don't exist.

I can't offer an opinion on shit I haven't seen unless I hear from credible sources that they're good or bad lol, why you acting all uppity
OP's powers will be hard to do, but Oda is involved, FMA showed the CGI doesn't have to be bad and it should have a decent budget.
The elastic guy from Fantastic Four had good representation in live action (despite the movie itself being trash outside of teasing nude Jessica Alba), but that movie obviously had budget that probably dwarfs OP live action

Warmmedown

Elite
Is it English only?
Think so. The announced cast so far are from Mexico (Luffy), the USA (Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Alvida, Buggy, Arlong), the UK (Sanji, Shanks, Garp), Australia (Coby) and I think South Africa (Helmeppo).

Warmmedown

Elite

They built the Baratie. This has got me a bit hype thinking of how they could do Sanji and Zeff's backstory (manga or anime version) and Sanji's farewell. Plus Luffy punching Krieg's armour. And Zoro slipping on the hill in Syrup Village lol. Hopefully they can do the action well enough, but OP never became my favourite series at one time because of the action itself, but more the stories that built to the action and made the fights more meaningful than in other series.

I have decent hope for this, even though it being bad or intentionally funny won't be shocking. I believe it'll be at least ok though, if not genuinely good. They're putting effort into it, pulling a cast from multiple countries and filming it in South Africa. Plus I've seen some fanmade One Piece live actions from a few years back and they managed to do a bit of Luffy's stretching half-decently and Fantastic Four had ok effects with Mr Fantastic. Bit worried about Zoro with his swords, but that always was a little comical at times in the anime too and again I've seen some very good live action of Zoro done by fans.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
Saw that video yesterday and I’m starting to get excited. Hopefully that doesn’t bite me in the ass in the long run.

Warmmedown

Elite
Yeh, I have to remember it's better to go in with slightly low expectations. End up enjoying more things that way, funnily enough. But still, fuck it's even better when there's hype and then it actually pays off.

Warmmedown

Elite
New images. Merry looks good, except the expression isn't plain.
one-piece-netflix-series-adaptation-live-action-jpg.webp
AAAAQWdmCNNXXBim4fwXBOPG0SZKMRrHChHIeF3N3rxi0WNiYEZgc-XYR-XAWO8PHO0H1b3NQc8rbv1q_0QXL_4R8DZulKmar89nBHN1pm6Q-6XvTH351l-vqu2oIVAHp58KOC_OWDEopAl4Ap11sW97MkHv.jpg

Sanji is yuge.

Warmmedown

Elite
Yahari!
I know they say don't shoot the messenger, but f u

Wonder how many they're actually "completely rewriting". Could be two eps, could be several.

Introducing five crew members in the first episode sounds absurd, but it also doesn't make any sense if Baratie is only introduced in episode 3. So they introduce all five and then do Sanji's backstory later?

Don't know what to make of the criticism that it goes between goofy and serious too much. That's literally what One Piece is like. Could be that the audience just weren't familiar with anime - just like how Hollywood critics disliked Alita, even though it was a hit with a lot of the target audience (or every other example of different cultures/subcultures preferring different types of shows). I don't know how they select these early audiences, but if the audience was a bunch of middle-aged people who only watch American shows, it's not worrying. The vast majority of people don't like anime anyway - if an anime gets a decently big niche audience without ever going mainstream, it's still considered a success. Same goes for this adaptation.

The CGI is worrying, since they probably can't fix that if it's more than one or two moments. Then again, I've seen people complain about bad CGI in shows that many thought did it well enough to not mess up the show (eg I didn't think Hellbound had bad CGI).

In the anime they introduce the story with Gol D Roger's speech. Wonder if they tried something similar for the Netflix. Honestly I think it would be better to just have a scene where people talk about Gol D Roger and quote his final words for him.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
Don't know what to make of the criticism that it goes between goofy and serious too much. That's literally what One Piece is like.

The person literally admits they don't have any experience with the source material.