One Piece Recap Specials

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
Has anyone watched any? I’m very familiar with the first half of the story so cutting the content to fit each arc into one special doesn’t really bother me that much but did they do a good job of it? How watered down is each one?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I haven't seen them myself, but I'm pretty sure [mention]Fantastische Hure[/mention] has seen the East Blue special, so maybe he could comment.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I've seen some clips of the Episode of Nami special and viewed summaries of the others. They all seem to be watered down versions of the main story seeing as how it forces them to condense dozens of episodes worth of events into less than 2 hours and the more modernised art style used for them seems far less expressive than the original anime. I'd say the worst thing about them though is just how unnecessary they are. Not only are they too short to give a concise version of events for those hoping to jump straight into a later point in the series, but it doesn't seem that they offer any new insight into the characters involved. As far recaps go, the only one that seems worth watching would be Movie 7 which recaps Alabasta as (from what I've seen at least) the animation is pretty good.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
episode of nami is probably the best. i'd say in some ways it can even be on-par (or maybe better to u) with the tv-series version. the special doesn't jst drop you in the middle of nowhere either (like episode of alabasta did) so that feels like a complete story. epic moments still feel epic (even-tho it's been some-time since i watched i can't rly remember everything. i jst remember liking the tv-special a-lot.)

episode of east-blue is also gr9. despite adapting nearly 100 chapters worth of story into 2 hours iirc. i liked the ending a-lot too with the new version of "we are". truly felt like that was for the 20th anniversary to me.

episode of merry, i saw some of (like the beginning but i can't rly comment i think). same for episode of sky-island.

episode of alabasta sucked, i think. hd can't rly help it either. comparing luffy defeating crocodile in the original tv-series to the movie is not even close. not only that but there's no context & some are also censored iirc, like crocodile impaling luffy in the 1st fight.

episode of chopper, i also can't say much abt sadly, i don't think.