One Piece vs Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Which is the superior anime/manga and why?

At the moment I have no idea which I would consider better.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
OP anime has good music but otherwise drags shit out too much for its own good, from what I hear. The usual Toei syndrome. Like a "Zoro went in the wrong direction" gag will be dragged out beyond belief, apparently. Apparently it has good filler though.

If you're unsure now then you'll undoubtedly think OP is superior further down the line btw.

Arcadya

Low Class Warrior
I won't hide my bias; FMA:B will always take top spot in my mind. OP is cool, but it drags on for far too long. It's much better in manga form. It's just not concise enough to be a great anime.

FMA:B just feels more cohesive and... a lot more grounded, which I personally like. OP is more comedy than drama, but it still markets itself as a drama series to an extent. It just doesn't click with me. I feel like that mix would only suit satire.

It also probably doesn't help that I stopped reading OP a few hundred chapters ago, but I know enough about the essence of OP to form an opinion.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I would say I prefer the OP manga (at least during Part 1) to the FMA manga, but anime-wise I'm not all too sure.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Manga-wise, I'd say OP. It has a high amount of intricate world-building compared to FMA, which only expanded on Amestris and Briggs, with only a little info being given to Xing and none to anywhere else. Character-wise, I'd still say OP as it has at least equal quality, yet superior quantity when it comes to developing the cast very well. Whilst FMA's story probably has somewhat superior writing quality, OP has far more directions that the story could take due to the numerous factions within it, whereas FMA was an open and shut case once Father was defeated.

Anime-wise though, it's more difficult to say. Whilst I'd be inclined to say OP due to how part 1 was done, it's started to show the typical Toei problems such as poor animation and slow pacing in the recent episodes. Even with part 1, there was just as much bad filler as there was good, such as Luffy using a 1,000,000 degrees C attack, which you'll find in Marineford, is complete BS. Overall, I'd still be inclined to say I'd rewatch select arcs of OP over marathoning FMA:B again, primarily due to far more emotive scenes and a superior score, though as far as being faithful to the original work, FMA:B takes the vote by a mile.

Alex Boss

High Class Warrior
Ä°ts hard to compare them since OP can create a great and large build up arc with a great storyline. Ä°ts just that part 2 ruins it for me with FÄ° being mediocre and the other ones averages.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
This thread again, huh?

Anyway, I still stick to the notion that One Piece is superior, regardless of the faggotry of Dressrosa as of late.

Alex Boss

High Class Warrior
Big Green The Yoshi said:
This thread again, huh?

Anyway, I still stick to the notion that One Piece is superior, regardless of the faggotry of Dressrosa as of late.
After reading Part 2, Op is still superior?

Not objective Yoshi :alex

Syn

Mid Class Warrior
Anime-wise: FMA: Brotherhood, bar none.

Manga-wise: Haven't read OP.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Alex said:
Big Green The Yoshi said:
This thread again, huh?

After reading Part 2, Op is still superior?

Not objective Yoshi :alex
There's a lot of good Manga I've read that I put above FMA, whereas One Piece, even with the drop in quality since Part II, is still in the top 3 range for me. I know I'm borderline between a fan and a fanboy of One Piece, but I've read enough good Manga at this point that my taste has developed enough to form a solid opinion on FMA, which I think is good, but overrated.

Itachi

Low Class Warrior
Anime hands down FMA:B wins. OP is in the running for one of the worst anime ever.

Manga is closer, I think I liked the manga for OP better overall. It keeps you interested longer with the goals in clear sight.

Alex Boss

High Class Warrior
Syn said:
Anime-wise: FMA: Brotherhood, bar none.

Manga-wise: Haven't read OP.
OP manga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> OP anime

dude