- Complete Sinnoh Dex.
- stable frame rate 30 or 60.
- GTS
- Battle Frontier.

Give me that and I'm happy. :et

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
From the trailer of the Gen 4 remakes, I have mixed thoughts on the exact same implementation; being the models being very much just those of Gen 4 in 3D. It at least assures that we won't get anything similar to Sword and Shield's graphics, though copying what's present in the original games doesn't really live up to the point of the 3D transition when you could just release remasters of the game (especially when not re-releasing old games in the franchise save for the digital Gen 1-2 is one of the biggest criticisms of Game Freak/Nintendo). That said, I can hope these games will copy Platinum more than the games they're based on when it comes to the Pokedex, team rosters, etc. save for Platinum's mistake of just making version exclusive Pokemon from those prior games unavailable to catch. As far as new mechanics to give them their own identity, ideally a return of Gen 6/7 mechanics like Mega Evolution and portals like Ultra Space (given these are the games where the legendaries are the personifications of time and space) along with perhaps incorporating some trainers from later games into the post-game.

Legends: Arceus, meanwhile, looks excellent and a breath of fresh air. I can see why people are already calling it "Breath of the Wild: Pokemon version" and hope it makes for an interesting side game, though I do hope its seemingly antiquated setting doesn't add further contradictions to the lore with how muddled the history of Poke Balls already is.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
[mention]Captain Cadaver[/mention] Was it ever stated that Kurt's ancestor or whatever made the first ball using Apricorns in Johto? Not in the anime but in the games where it would properly count as canon and not a garbage anime-only explanation similar to the Red Gyarados being "a Gyarados that failed to change color upon evolving" :punk

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Pretty sure the games make it apparent Apricorns were used to catch Pokemon long before Kurt's time, though whether or not his ancestor created them is unclear. All that's known for certain is they were invented in Johto and devices similar couldn't be mass-produced until Silph Co. and Devon Corp. came along, which adds some questions to the Pokedex entries of Voltorb being discovered at the same time the Poke Balls were invented and Magearna just makes the whole thing far more convoluted.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Is Voltorb even in the Sinnoh Pokedex? I don't think so, and judging by GF's track record with side games like Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee it wouldn't surprise me if the Arceus game is missing some Pokemon and features from prior generations. That, and you could say the same for shit like Mewtwo, the Porygon line or Genesect existing in multiple generations, as well as Espeon, Pichu and Umbreon being discovered in Generation 2 for reasons that would be pathetically stupid in-universe.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kenshi said:
That, and you could say the same for shit like Mewtwo, the Porygon line or Genesect existing in multiple generations
Not really, as they were only featured in generations after the creation of the original versions, as opposed to the questionable status of the Poke Balls' origin. The only exception amongst those examples is Porygon Z and Genesect being available in ORAS despite it taking place before Gens 2 and 4 in the timeline, and even that is only through non-canon post-game options via the Battle Maison for the former and an entirely optional event gieaway for the latter.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
The issue of Genesect and Porygon 2/Z existing out of place in ORAS is even stupider than half the normal types in Kanto being retconned to Fairy types imo.

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Didn't know how to feel about the Gen 4 remakes initially. They were inevitable and didn't surprise me, and I didn't necessarily want them (I'd just play Gen 4) but I could see the appeal. I was taken aback by the artstyle, and I can certainly understand why people hate it, but the more I think about it the more I like it. It's quite literally Diamond and Pearl just in 3D and not 2D. I think that was a good move given the criticisms of Sword and Shield, and frankly, I'd rather it look same-ish than shit.

I do hope the end product is a bit more polished. Link's Awakening on the switch has a similar artstyle but the execution is much better visually.

As has already been mentioned on the net, it seems like they wanted the most faithful, traditional game possible while also shaking things up with Legends. A safe game and a riskier one. As for Legends, I really like the starters. It's a small thing but bringing back Mons from previous gens make me happy. I like the lore so far. The frame rate looks concerning so I hope it's not too bad.

Also, please give us all the events. Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, etc. All really awesome in Gen 4 and I'd like to see it.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kenshi said:
The issue of Genesect and Porygon 2/Z existing out of place in ORAS is even stupider than half the normal types in Kanto being retconned to Fairy types imo.
Neither of these are part of the canon gameplay though. Genesect was only given out for a 20th anniversary event (of which a delivery guy handing someone a mythical Pokemon certainly isn't part of the continuity); and transfer from previous generations that are later in the timeline is explained as being through some space-time shenanigans, and the Porygon evolutions are only available through items restricted to the Battle Maison in the post-game (equally as non-canon in their acquisition).

Mengde said:
Also, please give us all the events. Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, etc. All really awesome in Gen 4 and I'd like to see it.
Hopefully they recreate the events (especially since the Arceus one could only be acquired via an Action Replay) and don't just relegate them to Poke-Amazon waiting at the Pokemon centre to hand you God like all events from Gen 6 onwards :troll.

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Final battle of the remakes should be a level 100 Arceus that can change type depending on your Mon, always giving you the disadvantage.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Arceus game looks more compelling. Looks like there are no wild battles anymore? Not sure how I feel about that. How would you catch a legendary lol

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Super Saiyan said:
Arceus game looks more compelling. Looks like there are no wild battles anymore? Not sure how I feel about that. How would you catch a legendary lol
Considering it's a side game and some Pokemon battles are shown in the trailer, it'll still battling to catch stronger Pokemon be a thing once you have enough Pokemon, considering those caught in the trailer aren't anything exceptional. It may just be an option for the wild areas rather than mandatory/special encounters.

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kinda makes me think Sword and Shield did spend some development time as 3DS games. Maybe from 2017 - 2018

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Captain Cadaver said:
Kenshi said:
Neither of these are part of the canon gameplay though. Genesect was only given out for a 20th anniversary event (of which a delivery guy handing someone a mythical Pokemon certainly isn't part of the continuity); and transfer from previous generations that are later in the timeline is explained as being through some space-time shenanigans, and the Porygon evolutions are only available through items restricted to the Battle Maison in the post-game (equally as non-canon in their acquisition).

Genesect was specifically stated to be created by Team Plasma through cybernetics many years after DPPt (judging by the fact that Cynthia reminisces battling Lucas/Dawn many years ago), which makes its existence in remakes of earlier games retarded to say the least, plus there are Pokedex entries for it. Porygon was stated to be a newly created Pokemon in Generation 1, so its two evolutions even existing in RSE or ORAS (or even in HGSS in the case of Porygon-Z) is a plot hole.

I do agree that these plot holes are a necessary evil due to the "Screw continuity, we have advanced gameplay" mentality Game Freak has with shit like Lance having been from Johto all along despite only 151 Pokemon existing in RGBY.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Again, that would only be a plot hole if it was directly part of the game's continuity and lore, of which neither example is when both are only available through entirely optional non-canon material in the post-game, unless the idea of a delivery man going around handing out mythicals to everyone seems coherent to the world presented. What a player chooses to do isn't directly tied to in-game events concerning their Pokemon teams and such beyond a few exceptions. For example, a player's main team in Gen 1 may differ from what's canonically Red's main team. If using them being available in the Pokedex as an example of the continuity inconsistency, it would be more accurate to cite the existence of the National Dex in ORAS as a plot hole, which would be valid when obtaining such is even easier than in any other game.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
The National Dex already existed in RS though, and Porygon-2 was in it as well. It's a plot hole even within Generation 3 because Porygon-2 (as well as any other Pokemon up to the first 386 except Mythicals and 675+ stat legendaries) can be found in the Battle Frontier. And the Battle Frontier is certainly part of Emerald version's canon because Scott is routinely seen in the main quest.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
The National Dex problem is far greater in ORAS though as it can be acquired immediately after battling Primal Groudon/Kyogre if the player wishes to. RSE only make it available in the post-game, at which the timeline coinciding with the events in Gen 1 becomes far more vague with enough leeway to assume it was developed between the end of Gen 1 and the post-game of Gen 3. It's not as though the National Dex was suggested to be completely new by the time of Gens 2/4 either, considering the former labels it as the "Old Pokedex" as opposed to Johto's new one.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
Legends looks pretty neat. Pretty excited for the DP remakes too.