Should Pokemon experiment with different settings in future gens?

Warmmedown

Elite
Sword/Shield being set in bootleg United Kingdom got me thinking they could do:

- A game set 500 years ago (base different towns off different regions or one game per region)
- One set in a futuristic world like 500 years from now
- One in Outer Space maybe flying to different planets. Would probably need to not include most old pokemon for this one to make sense. Could do a hack-and-slash version too, where you actually move your pokemon around to defeat giant pokemon on some planets and tiny ones on others, kinda like Shadow of the Colossus, newer Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter.
- One set 200,000 years ago (cavemen, maybe have some ancestors of modern pokemon and have fossil pokemon in the wild).

-One set in the underwater city of Atlantis, for all the people who think Gen 3 didn't have enough water (you're wrong).

Could have a plot where there's a time-traveller who appears in every game and after a few generations their full plot is finally revealed.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Yes. They need to change something desperately. The current formula of having some generic land mass to travel across in a linear way needs to stop.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Time travel sounds like a terrible idea because it always dwindles down to "save my future" or whatever. Nope. Boring.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
Don’t know about you guys but I though Conquest was fun. I wouldn’t mind playing another game like that.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
For side games like Conquest, yes. For main series games though, not really. The formula of regions and them having real world counterparts is fine and helps show what kind of creative twist they can give to real places. It's just the other aspects of main series games that need a major revamp (predictable plot structure, give and take nature of mechanics, etc.).