SSJ2 watches Duelist Kingdom

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I might watch all of Yu-Gi-Oh but haven't decided yet.

First of all, why the fuck is Yugi’s grandpa taken to the hospital after losing to Kaiba in a duel? :ha :ha

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Are you watching the 4kids dub or the Japanese version? Pretty sure it was suggested in the latter that Kaiba's goons beat him up.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Japanese. They said that they would use force to make him duel Kaiba if he did not comply, but Yugi's grandpa later says that he wanted to duel Kaiba to teach him respect, implying he wasn't beat up. Not to mention he showed no physical signs of being attacked lol

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Though I must say that Yugi's voice in Japanese annoys me a lot lol

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I think Kaiba, Jonounchi and Tristan sound a better in Japanese

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Super Saiyan said:
Japanese. They said that they would use force to make him duel Kaiba if he did not comply, but Yugi's grandpa later says that he wanted to duel Kaiba to teach him respect, implying he wasn't beat up. Not to mention he showed no physical signs of being attacked lol
Maybe Sugoroku's health just took a bad turn and Yugi jumped to conclusions. I mean, he is an old meng after all.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Have you seen both Japanese and english? How much is cut out from the english dub? I might watch it and then read the manga for accuracy.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I've seen all of the series in Japanese (bar the filler arc after Dartz) and all of the Pre-Battle City stuff in English and the odd few episodes after it (mainly the quarter finals of Battle City and the Noah Arc). I've also read the manga for the pre-Duelist Kingdom events.

The 4kids dub mainly edits out some imagery and some references to death (eg. People being sent to "The Shadow Realm" after losing a Shadow Game instead of just being killed). It also changes the soundtrack, for the worst in some cases but not without its merits. It's basically the same case as DBZ's Ocean Dub. 4kids dub is more entertaining for the memes, but the Japanese version is the way to go for accuracy.
The manga is the best source for accuracy and consistency as the anime's desire to skip to the Duel Monsters events rather than covering the early events like Toei's YGO anime did caused a few events such as Yugi's power of friendship against Pegasus to come off as an asspull.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I thought there was a prequel anime to Duel Monsters?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
That's the Toei anime, sometimes called Season 0. It's not a prequel to the Duel Monsters anime per-se, since a lot of events such as Yugi and Kaiba's duel, Yugi meeting Shadi or the main cast being forced into a Shadow Game between Atem and Yami Bakura were events that were reworked into the Duel Monster anime's chornology and wouldn't mesh with the Toei anime due to this.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I liked episode 2. I thought it was a good introduction for Pegasus, and his duel with Yugi was entertaining.

So is Yugi the #1 duelist in the world after beating Kaiba? :wat

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Super Saiyan said:
So is Yugi the #1 duelist in the world after beating Kaiba? :wat
No. Kaiba was a skilled duelist, but I don't believe he competed in any national or international competitions. As far as official rankings go, I'm pretty sure Haga/Weevil and Ryuzaki/Rex outranked him prior to Battle City.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
The Japanese version said he won the national championship, English said he was the world champion. :facepalm

9431-C0-F9-DCE6-4970-A3-FA-3-BC57-BDDBC6-E.jpg

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I stand corrected then. Pretty sure Haga, Ryuzaki and Bandit "IN AMERICA" Keith still outrank him on the international scale though, or at the very least the latter.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Are you going to watch Battle City or Millennium World (seeing as you hate the Dartz and Noah filler)?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
If I do I'll skip the filler.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Also lol @ Rex getting one shotted by Mai in episode 3 :ha

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Super Saiyan said:
If I do I'll skip the filler.

Millennium World has terrible animation and generally poorer writing than the manga so I'd recommend you switch to the manga version for that arc.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Will do. I'll definitely watch Battle City.