Super Dragon Ball Z definitely had one of the most interesting rosters I've ever seen.

Majin_Blue

hqdefault-30.jpg

• Unlockable: Ultimate Gohan
  • Unlockable: Videl
  • Majin Buu
  • Unlockable: Cyborg Frieza
  • Gohan
  • Krillin
  • Android #18
  • Frieza
  • Goku
  • Future Trunks
  • Cell
  • Vegeta
  • Chi-Chi
  • Piccolo
  • Android #16
  • Android #17
  • Unlockable: King Piccolo
  • Unlockable: Majin Vegeta

Honestly, I kind of like how they tried to do something a bit different instead of the usual "LET'S INCLUDE EVERYONE" that most games go for. And looking back it was SUCH a breath of fresh air to have some actual OG Dragon Ball representation that's not just GT Goku with the Power Pole. I almost wish a sequel was made, just so I can see who they would have added next.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
i think i agree with u. that was an under-rated game. sadly that came-out at a time when every-one seemed to only care abt budokai-tenkaichi games or something (i think), iirc.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Surprising that Chi Chi is playable as opposed to other more "popular" characters.

I honestly didn't know this game existed lol.

Majin_Blue

Fantastische Hure said:
i think i agree with u. that was an under-rated game. sadly that came-out at a time when every-one seemed to only care abt budokai-tenkaichi games or something (i think), iirc.

True, it's a shame that more experimental games kind of fell flat. I'm very happy FighterZ managed to pull through.

Super Saiyan said:
Surprising that Chi Chi is playable as opposed to other more "popular" characters.

I honestly didn't know this game existed lol.

I'd highly recommend you check it out. It's a 3D traditional fighter made by some of the people behind the original Street Fighter II, with a level up system, a customization system and skill tree with unlockable techniques. It wasn't the best DBZ game there is, but to borrow an analogy from Yahtzee, "it's like Killer7 or Earthbound or Brandston Pickle; try it anyway because even if you don't like it you won't find anything else like it anywhere else." It's a very unique experience. Really it's biggest failing is that aside from the Arcade Mode there's no real Story or Online mode to take advantage of the robust level up/customization system.

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
I remember this games version of Mecha Freeza was super cool. :sure
I kind of want to see it get incorporated into Super in some form.

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I haven't played Budokai Tenkaichi 3, and I imagine having such a large roster is cool, but I also imagine a lot of the characters play the same. :troll2

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
It had an interesting one, that's for sure. Adult Chichi being playable for once was a stand-out for the game, as were some additions such as Bazooka Mecha Freeza and Ultimate Gohan with his Kaioshin attire. The stage select also had some interesting choices such as being able to fight at the Check-In Station/Snake Way. The game also had a ridiculous amount of customisation with any special moves (bar ultimates) being possible to equip to characters and allow for things such as Freeza doing the Kamehameha. I could never really get into it due to the way the controls were as well as how limited the modes were, but I can respect the amount of unique things it had.

Mengde said:
I haven't played Budokai Tenkaichi 3, and I imagine having such a large roster is cool, but I also imagine a lot of the characters play the same. :troll2
That's somewhat true, but not to the extent many believe. Even though some combos are recycled and there are many characters nobody would use in a serious match (eg. Freeza Soldier), the game does have some underrated complexity due to its item customisation allowing for certain characters to find a decent niche. For instance, there's a YouTube series called DBZ League that basically functions as a fantasy football-esque league using the game's Com VS Com feature in which its made apparent how good some irrelevant characters can be with the right build.
Also, during the time in which people played the online feature of the game's Wii version, a lot of the ranks were filled with characters that don't often get brought up amongst the game's top tiers such as Roshi or Dabura, making it apparent it wasn't quite as simple of a case as "Pick SS4 Gogeta = You win."

DBZAOTA482

High Class Warrior
The only interesting things about it is having Chi-Chi, King Piccolo, Ultimate Gohan w/ sword, and the newly designed Mecha Frieza as playable characters. Otherwise, it's one of the most bare bones rosters for any DBZ game.

Majin_Blue

DBZAOTA482 said:
The only interesting things about it is having Chi-Chi, King Piccolo, Ultimate Gohan w/ sword, and the newly designed Mecha Frieza as playable characters. Otherwise, it's one of the most bare bones rosters for any DBZ game.

I.. wha?

"The only interesting things about this roster are the interesting things"?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
It's also worth noting when looking at the roster that Super DBZ was originally designed as an arcade game rather than something to live up to the likes of the Budokai series, with arcade fighters typically not having more than 20 or so characters. As a reference point for another arcade game of a famous Shonen Jump title also released in 2005, Hokuto no Ken's arcade game only had 10 characters despite there being plenty more that could've been added.