The Millennium Ring

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Is this one of the most powerful Millennium items? Bakura was able to conjure monsters that physically attacked Pegasus' goons. Are other items capable of doing this?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Seeing as how :zorc was the final villain of the series and his history with the Millennium Items, it makes sense why it's so powerful, especially compared to the other items when it comes to offensive. The other items aren't as powerful in terms of what they can physically provide, though a lot of them still have arguably greater hax such as the Millennium Rod.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
According to Shadi four of the Millennium Items carry an evil will (the Puzzle, Ring, Eye and Rod) while the other three (the Scale, Tauk and Key) carry a will of justice. Makes sense since Atem/Yami Yugi sealed his own spirit and Zorc into the Puzzle and the other part of Zorc was sealed in the Ring without a good spirit like Atem to balance it out from becoming pure evil (which is why Yami Bakura is basically an even more fucked up version of Thief King Bakura), and the Rod and Eye were used by Akenaden and his son Seto (whom Akhenaden possessed at one point), and Akhenaden was a "reflection" of Zorc through receiving part of his spirit and power.

I would talk more about the role of the Ring in the Pharaoh's Memories arc and in Darkside of DImensions, but that would be spoiling the end of the series for you.

Captain Cadaver said:
Seeing as how :zorc was the final villain of the series and his history with the Millennium Items, it makes sense why it's so powerful, especially compared to the other items when it comes to offensive. The other items aren't as powerful in terms of what they can physically provide, though a lot of them still have arguably greater hax such as the Millennium Rod.

Let's not forget that when Yami Marik and Yami Bakura's shadow powers clashed prior to their Duel in Battle City, their powers were evenly matched. Although that could've been because Yami Bakura had recently been directly attacked by an Egyptian God and passed out.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kenshi said:
Let's not forget that when Yami Marik and Yami Bakura's shadow powers clashed prior to their Duel in Battle City, their powers were evenly matched. Although that could've been because Yami Bakura had recently been directly attacked by an Egyptian God and passed out.
In terms of magical strength, they're definitely at least equal, though Bakura has more potential for attacks when it comes to more standard battles.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Captain Cadaver said:
Kenshi said:
In terms of magical strength, they're definitely at least equal, though Bakura has more potential for attacks when it comes to more standard battles.

You're forgetting the power of Marik's OP Millennium Rod lightsaber tho' :CC

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
What can the puzzle do? Mind crush didn't seem to affect Kaiba that much in the long run. Can Yugi do it to anyone?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
In the manga Pegasus killed Bandit Keith with a penalty game without having to duel him first, so I assume so.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Little Yugi was also afraid that the spirit of the Puzzle could hurt people prior to the castle duel with Mai, although it's not entirely clear if that's due to Atem's at-the-time pension for neglecting the safety of others in order to win or the abilities the Puzzle was capable of giving.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Is this one of the most powerful Millennium items? Bakura was able to conjure monsters that physically attacked Pegasus' goons. Are other items capable of doing this?
bakura could have maybe stopped (not rly stopped but you know i think) winged-dragon-of-ra's attack to mai without having to defend himself like yugi i think

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
bakura could have maybe stopped (not rly stopped but you know i think) winged-dragon-of-ra's attack to mai without having to defend himself like yugi i think
Bakura got smoked by Ra's attack when Marik merged with it though... :troll

The puzzle seems to have more abilities in the manga.
That's because everything pre-DK got skipped in the Duel Monsters anime really. And Atem gave more penalty games even in DK like forcing PaniK to see an illusion of himself being hanged and the ventriloquist of death (manga equivalent of fake Kaiba) being forced to see an illusion of his Kaiba puppet killing him or something. In the anime they got censored to Mind Crushes. I'd say that Bakura had more abilities with the Ring in the anime than the manga though, because in the manga the Ring couldn't freely levitate like in the anime (where Honda threw it as a Millennium Frisbee :troll ) and return constantly to its host, couldn't just turn invisible and so on. I think Takahashi later retconned the early limitations of the Ring and the Puzzle though, because early on Atem couldn't just zap people with his shadow powers (nigga even got punched out by some teenaged thug) and Bakura never showed such an ability in the manga until post-Battle City, but in the new movie from 5 years ago Bakura could shoot shadow beams out of the Ring and stuff. Probably just a soft retcon based on the fact that Marik was using his Rod to shoot psychic beams and shit in Battle City.