UFC 298 predictions/UFC 300 predictions

Warmmedown

Elite
This weekend. Let's get some predictions, for fun.

Notable fights:

Volkanovski vs Topuria - Topuria. I've been on the hype train a while now.
Merab Dvalishvili vs Cejudo - Cejudo. Impossible to say really tho. This is the real co-main for me.
Whittaker vs Costa - Whittaker. Think he'll be able to handle him similarly to how he did Vettori.
Geoff Neal vs Ian Garry - Neal. toss up without watching tape though.
Lemos vs Dern - Dern.
Rinya Nakamura vs whoever the fuck - Nakamura. Not really a notable matchup, but he looked phenomenal in his last fight. A real prospect.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Rooting for Volk. I'm a fan of his. I think he gets it, but it'll depend on how the loss from Islam may have affected him.

Going with Whittaker.

Going with Nakamura as well. Seems like a big Japanese prospect.

So isn't Cejudo fighting anymore? Damn.

Have you seen Strickland running wild in the sparring with non-professional going hard as fuck and him going unhinged in Twitter? Tf was that lol

Warmmedown

Elite
Cejudo is fighting. He's fighting Merab. Who you picking?

Yeh I saw that

Volk gets KOed or submitted. I put some money on Topuria to win and some on him to win by T/KO or submission (it's from the money I won by betting on Leon Edwards to beat Kamaru Usman both times).

Warmmedown

Elite
If Topuria loses, it's gonna be a tragic hypetrain crash. He's told everyone he's gonna win easily, he's put UFC champion in his social media bio, he's been on camera with the belt around his waist and he's got a load of Spanish sportspeople on his bandwagon, like Rafa Nadal, Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Iniesta, Carlos Sainz (formula 1 veteran), Morata, Valverde, martial artists and some cyclist guy. A bunch of La Liga players are gonna be in attendance for the fight (already had Sergio Ramos backstage at his last fight).

Warmmedown

Elite
Bunch of stre3m links (I'll delete them later):

-snippety snip

Last edited:

Warmmedown

Elite
Holy fuck, outta nowhere.
commentators barely reacted to it, it was so sudden.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Damn, got really sad with Volk losing. He was kinda reckless too, accepted to fight Islam when he knew he wasn't in the proper conditions and after getting a KO from a kick in the head and other punches, to choose to fight Topuria in such a short time was reckless. Even ignoring that I don't think he should have accepted to fight Islam, he should have given his body a way longer rest after the Islam fight. I think he may fear getting old and losing the chance he still has when he's still not too old but already becoming old, but he needs to take care of his body too... A KO that way from Islam after being unprepared form the fight and then fighting months later isn't a good deal, specially since the Topuria TKO was also brutal..... Idk, I'd like for him to come back stronger and continue winning and perhaps even fight Islam when well prepared and put on a hell of a fight, but I'd also say that retiring now would be a wise decision.

Warmmedown

Elite
He's 35 so the that's old. Nobody's won a title fight at 35+ under 170lbs and 170lbs and below only once against someone younger than them themselves.

His jab was landing nicely in round 2,despite topurias good head movement.
Volk barely threw hands, probbaky wary of getting into punching ecchanges with topuria. Topuria is extra dangerous against the fence, kinda pins you against it with one hand while he punches.
Topuria was a straight KO.

Doesn't need to retire, can still beat a lot of guys probably. It would be good if he could rest, just in case. But he hasn't got loads of time. Not sure hwo he cna fight at FW in the next 3 months thta doesn't have power, maybe Evloev but I doubt they do that. Max obviously, but they won't do that again lol. Aljo, but he's fighting in April already.

Warmmedown

Elite
Using this thread for UFC 300 too.

Video below is Yan Xiaonan, she'll be 1/2 of the first all-Chinese title fight. Here she is armbarring herself lmao, idk how the fuck she didn't have the awareness to know her own arm would be trapped.

Card, incredibly stacked. 11 fighters who've been a champ in the UFC or PFL. Names of those in bold:

MAIN CARD:
Alex Pereira (c)Jamahal Hill (#1, returning c from injury)
Zhang Weili (c)Yan Xiaonan
Justin Gaethje (#2)Max Holloway
Bo NickalCody Brundage
Charles Oliveira (#1)Arman Tsarukyan (#4)
PRELIMS:

Jiri Prochazka (#2)

Aleksandar Rakic (#5)

Aljamain Sterling
Calvin Kattar (#8)
Kayla HarrisonHolly Holm (#5)
Sodiq Yusuff (#13)Diego Lopes
EARLY PRELIMS:
Jalin Turner (#10)Renato Moicano (#13)
Jessica Andrade (#4)Marina Rodriguez (#6)
Jim MillerBobby Green (#14)
Cody GarbrandtDeiveson Figueiredo (#8)

Holloway vs Gaethje is the real main event for me. Head says Gaethje, but rooting for Holloway to make the necessary adjustments to win. Then Oliveira-Arman is the next most exciting, imo Oliveira will be able to do it.
IMO Perreira wins the main event.
Garbrant-Figueiredo, Yusuff-Lopes and Jiri-Rakic are all bangers on the prelims.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
What did you think @Warmmedown ?

Max Holloway vs Gaethje was one of the most insane fight I've seen specially due to the ending... But right after I felt bad for feeling euphoric after the KO... Justin Gaethje fell in a way it seemed like he died.... It was brutal.

Poatan is a killer, wow... Guy's unreasonable left is speechless.

I really wish Charles would get the W... It was close. I had the impression Tsarukyan would tap but once he listened to the 10 seconds signal, he toughened it up. He seemed relatively fine after that tho...

Damn those ppl who booed Weili's fight... It was such an incredible fight and those losers booing the first Chinese vs Chinese fight. Embarrassing.

Warmmedown

Elite
Holloway beating Gaethje like that (even without the KO) was a huge statement. Hurt him multiple times, when people thought he would be outgunned. I was leaning to him for the win (partly because I like him), but I thought he would just touch and evade Justin without hurting him, maybe best case scenario just tire him out and get a finish that way. But he had dangerous power even early on. And then the KO...tbh I felt bad for Justin, because he did well to get through a tough fight with a blocked nose, but then just gets KOed, which could be bad for his career longevity, especially at his age. But it capped off an already legendary performance and hopefully he's a mainstream star now.

Charles vs Arman was cool. I rooted for Charles, but I'm glad Arman survived the guillotine (that was insane. I saw takes online saying his pants starting to slip off saved him, because Charles' legs were slipping down so he couldn't generate as much pressure), because he got to show what he's really capable of for the rest of the fight. I thought Arman won rounds 2 and 3...Charles went for that sub (idk what it is...d'arce or something) and Arman didn't tap and was fully awake at the end...so it's a sub attempt, but you can't really say it's so close to steal the round if he wasn't really in danger and felt comfortable to just stay there. The upkick into triangle by Charles was cool, although illegal.

Why the fuck Weili vs Yan wasn't in China, idk. Dumb. Weili basically choked her out, which was crazy.

Diego Lopes is great btw. I'm very excited for his next fight, whoever it is. His power is big and he's dangerous on the ground against anyone. Him vs Topuria on the ground would be exciting, but Topuria is probably too much on the feet for him and I doubt Lopes can take him down.

What was more sad than booing Weili/Yan was Pantoja asking the crowd in Rio (his hometown) to stay during his post-fight interview. The stadium looked over 50% empty. He's one of the most exciting champions now, I like him a lot. Maybe people wanted to avoid traffic so left early.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
@Warmmedown

Holloway deciding to do a boxing wild swing exchange when he had the fight won by points was insane... And he knocking Gaethje out cold with 1 second left made that one of the more impressive performances and KOs in UFC. I was pretty thrilled when watching that sequence but then seeing Justin falling all limb was worrying. I was even thinking a little later, we get excited with fighters putting on a show by hurting the others badly with the crows applauding and going insane. A modern coliseum... It's exciting, that's the thrilling, but shows ppl are drawn in to that legal fight where there's blood being thrown all around and it being visceral. I find it bad in that way sometimes. I saw Izzy's reaction, he was rooting for Justin quite obviously and he was applauding their last full boxing throws attempt and was like "omg" when Justin got KO'd like that. Topuria couldn't disguise the shock either, he was obviously struck by that... I think he held it back once he saw the camera was filming him. It was nice that Aspinall looked at him at the end to see his reaction, like "heh, you're facing him next". That's the fight to make now to me, Holloway vs Topuria.

Yeah, the crowd booing the first china vs china UFC event showed them to be total jackasses... Like, get a damn clue, you idiots. Not only that, but the fight was really good. Those ppl are idiots. I wanna see Weili vs Tatiana Suarez now. It seems Tatiana is recovering really well already and almost ready. I think that's the fight to make and Tatiana's grappling is on another level, it's Khabib type of pressure. Tough to say, really, I think Tatiana still hasn't shown due to lack of opportunity, but I see her as a potential champion.

I'd say Tsarukyan looked more dominant in round 2. It sucks for Charles that he had a well developed triangle just before the 2nd round bell rung (or was it the first?)... But he had it. Much like he had one vs Islam Makhachev in the first round but the bell rung. Charles got unlucky with the timing in both fights, specially this one. And idk, I dunno if I'd give the 3rd one to Arman. He was on top most of the time but he didn't do much. He didn't do much damage, Charles controlled well and got a near finish. I almost got the impression Tsarukyan would tap but once he heard the 10 seconds, he toughened it up. His arms went limp for a while... Tsarukyan won, but I think Charles is the better fighter. Makhachev vs Porier is underwhelming tho... I think besides Charles and Arman there's no other exciting fight for Islam there in that division. They should make him go up. Though problem is he wants the title fight going up... Things don't work like that. He defended his belt few times to get a title shot. Rakhmonov should get the title shot way earlier than him for sure. Nowadays the fighters defend the belt few times and want already move up for a tittle shot... Come one, that's such BS. And Leon has been avoiding Rakhmonov as well, I feel. It's sad because he's always asking for fights, saying he's available, but he doesn't get that big fight he so well deserves. He's the future champion tho, I really believe that. He'd defeat Chimaev too if they fought when Chimaev was welterweight but that's a bit unsure to me yet. Chimaev slowed down a little, many speculate that bad covid made him less energized like he was earlier, and I'm sure the current war with Palestine's suffering is affecting him a lot.

Poatan once again showing he's in the path for a legend. He evolved in his wrestling, there's a video of him taking down DC. DC was fooling around, but it shows a great advancement for sure. He's been training this with Glover really hard and he's a very fast learner and very, very talented learner. He started kickboxing at 22 and in some years he was already a legend on Glory. He has a special talent for refining martial arts skills. It's possible he'll fight Jon Jones, but yeah, I'd rather see a Jones vs Aspinall after the Miocic fight and Alex Poatan vs Jiri Projaska 2.0 or Ankalaev. I really think they should do a Jiri vs Ankalaev, that would be a sick, huge, fight... And Poatan fighting the winner. And if Jones gets past Aspinall and he feels like it, a final Jones vs Poatan if Poatan gets past Ankalaev or Jiri. Ankalaev shouldn't really call the shots on the fight being on Abu Dhabi. Fuck that. Those guys think the fight with them should be all in Abu Dhabi. Poatan is a bigger name than Ankalaev... He should call the shots for where it's gonna be for sure. With Chimaev I understand since him not getting a visa to other countries due to him supporting Kadyrov makes it hard... And I think it's another reason for why he isn't fighting so often anymore, ppl are quick to judge him but he can fight mainly in Abu Dhabi cards. I'd really like if Poatan KO'd Ankalaev tho. Islam Makhachev, Kahbib... These guys annoy me always praising Russian fighters as if their wrestling background made them special lol. It doesn't. I remember Islam commented about Ankalaev being "the best of the division" right after Poatan having that huge fight vs Jiri... Totally dismissive. I used to like him way more, but nah, these Dagestan guys get way more credit in goat lists than they actually deserve to be really fair. I'd put Silva, DC, Stipe... All above Khabib for sure.

I like Tom Apsinall tho. I think one thing that makes Jones kinda unwilling to fight him is that Jones really likes to study his opponents, to watch their fights obsessively and preparing game plans. Most Aspinall fights ended up really quickly with him KO'ing. I feel he fears he has less material to analyse Tom than Poatan who has had longer fights. That's why I think it's easier, not necessarily because Tom is better than Poatan.

I saw Joe Rogan and DC kinda saying Poatan's KO on Hill had a point for Jamahall for that no stoppage when he was kicked in the groint but that's just excuses. He was kicked and gave one step forward at the same time Herb Deam said stop... He didn't listen the stop before moving a little forward, it was basically at the same time... He just pointed that out but didn't call for it to stop... And that was it, his position was already advantageous before the shot that actually hurt... Jamahall then touched gloves with him and Jamahall landed the right hand firstly but fell for Poatan's faint... He fainted a right, then stepped in Hill's foot, tho seemingly accidentally, pushed Hill's left hand forwards quickly and in a hook that was thrown in a so small distance with no momentum packed a KO power that's unbelievable on how he can generate so much power with an angle like that. Maybe the best striker ever and I think he has the craziest power ever from mma, more than Ngannou. Since his kicks are killers too, his striking is a level above everyone else, plus he's advancing quickly with wrestling and take down defense... He's one of the best currently. Ahead of Islam he should be in PFP imo. Or just way more hyped.

I wanna see Chimaev vs Whittaker and Izzy vs Du Plessis tho... I think Chimaev will get a real quick finish and Izzy vs Dricus was the fight I was already eager to see until Sean appeared once Dricus injured. But Sean made dominant vs Izzy and arguably won vs Dricus imo, or at least a draw imo. I think he deserved a rematch more than having Izzy fight already... But I think they're going for the story they both had before. Middleweight is currently the most impressive or entertaining one tbh... Chimaev, Izzy, Sean, Dricus... All very funny fights. Oh man, it'd be nice to see Chimaev vs Sean too. Two trash talks that get ppl hyped, tho Sean is an idiot. "Here's the thing you guys....".... Lol. He's such a misogynistic, homophobic and promotes hate speech constantly, but eh, I think the UFC sees that as a bonus. I'd root for Chimaev to shut him down in a possible future clash tho.

Yeah the Pantoja thing was very unfortunate... Ppl already were talking about the event being a down, and it lacked exciting fights except for the Pantoja one. Sad the card wasn't so promising as a whole. And it's also pretty sad seeing most leaving when Pantoja has a history of overcoming and wanted to talk and feel that energy from the fans after... Very heartbreaking.

Btw, about boxing, Inoue's fight today was insane too. Damn, that was tense... Hope Tyson KOs Jake, but I think that will be unlikely.