Vegeta and the Genki-dama

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
What's the domineering reason Vegeta survived being hit by that Genki-dama?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Meta-answer: Plot armour

In universe-answer: Vegeta just seems to be really durable when it comes to life or death situations, such as surviving hits from Pure Boo whilst in his base form.

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
I feel like AT's plan was already set in motion at this point in that Vegeta would eventually be a good guy. I think he survived because he didn't only have evil in him.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Toriyama has made it apparent that he doesn't plan far ahead and just improvises along the way (especially after the Freeza Arc), so it's doubtful he had any major plans for Vegeta in the long-term. In the same arc, he even had Vegeta declaring himself the strongest in the universe when even Dodoria could take him, so him thinking that far ahead is quite unlikely.

Emmeth

Elite
Staff member
Advisor
Captain Cadaver said:
Toriyama has made it apparent that he doesn't plan far ahead and just improvises along the way (especially after the Freeza Arc), so it's doubtful he had any major plans for Vegeta in the long-term. In the same arc, he even had Vegeta declaring himself the strongest in the universe when even Dodoria could take him, so him thinking that far ahead is quite unlikely.

Eh, I don't know about that. Vegeta declaring himself the strongest could just be a scare-tactic. Though it doesn't mean that he didn't plan for Vegeta to join the good guys at some point.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
[mention]Captain Cadaver[/mention] Kaio did say by the end of the arc they had yet to beat the roots of evil, so he at least had an idea of villains above Vegeta already.

Anyways, I don’t think Emmeth’s logic works. Even nowadays Vegeta isn’t a complete good guy and it took a long time for him to start becoming one. As late as the Android Arc he’s still saying his heart is pure evil.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Emmet said:
Eh, I don't know about that. Vegeta declaring himself the strongest could just be a scare-tactic.
He definitely seemed to be only saying that part to himself though.

Though it doesn't mean that he didn't plan for Vegeta to join the good guys at some point.
It doesn't, though we aren't given much indication that he had a major plan for Vegeta after the Freeza Arc. His first death seemed like it was going to bring a conclusion to his character arc and even with his revival, there wasn't much to present him as a "good guy" until the end of the Cell Arc, and that arc was one where Toriyama has even admitted he had no plan for future events with due to the pressure in complying with the publishers and editors' demands.

GreatSaiyaman123 said:
@Captain Cadaver Kaio did say by the end of the arc they had yet to beat the roots of evil, so he at least had an idea of villains above Vegeta already.
Indeed, though considering how much Toriyama improvises, it's likely he only came up with the idea around the time of Vegeta's defeat in order to keep the story going, rather than having major plans for the future in advance.