Was Bandit Keith weaker in Duelist Kingdom?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Pegasus said he no longer had the mind to be a duelist, or something to that effect. So was he a better duelist when he was the US Champion?

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Probably. Losing to Pegasus' proxy in America sent him over the edge mentally, so he wouldn't be in top shape after that.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
i think pegasus said something abt that. that might be a similar situation to yugi vs mai at 1st i think i think.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Now ya got me thinking of making a Viz YGO strength checker. Fucking nubs.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
You should do one for the 4kids dub.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Are there actual strength based quotes in the manga? I can't think of all that many in the anime.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
To add on to Pegasus' statement, the fact he resorted to cheating against Jonouchi as well as relying on his lackeys to help him get star chips seems like something below what'd be expected of his Champion self from what little we see of those days. This deterioration in skill also fits with his later portrayal in the anime of becoming so washed up that his only purpose after that was to be a tool for Marik who couldn't even force Yugi to rely on Atem.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Super Saiyan said:
Are there actual strength based quotes in the manga? I can't think of all that many in the anime.

I started Duelist last night and it's been a challenge so far. Things just aren't cut and dry like a real Shonen manga so it's difficult to decide what qualifies. There are definitely some, like I remember Mai being stated to have improved a lot in BC, but most so far have been vague.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
The anime might be worse with how many duels came down to luck/drawing the perfect card at the right time. It's hard to gauge the ability of a duelist when things almost always go their way.