What level was Pikachu in episode 1?

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
This is for the very first episode of season one.

When Ash first got Pikachu, and through the next few episodes, I always got the impression that it was suppose to be at a higher level that the average starter Pokemon.

Assuming the levels in the show are comparable to the game up to Brock, what level do you see Pikachu? I say 10-12, which puts him above the wild pokemon in the area and Team Rocket. It also puts Pikachu on an even level with Onyx, but not high enough to overcome the rock/electric handicap the first time around.

Son Gokū

High Class Warrior
Pretty sure every Pokemon he has should be at least 60 by now, if not what's been going on ALL these years?!

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
Episode one my friend. Read the topic title.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
I've heard the levels reset with each new region, hence Pikachu's inconsistent strength when it should be nearing lvl100 by this point and owning most things on the planet.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Level 10 is a nice and even number.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
Pyrus said:
Level 10 is a nice and even number.
I know the game mechanics amd the show don't always add up, but just from playing Yellow, I came to a similar conclusion. Thats enough for me to own everything in the region, but have any physical attacks be worthless upon reaching Brocks gym. I give him 12 or so by that time, so starting out at ten fits with that very well.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
I remember there being an episode that wasn't very far into the first season in which levels are explicitly (and clumsily, I might add) brought up and pikachu was stated to be 25 there, iirc.

Given that I wouldn't go lower than 10 for ep 1.

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
Pyrus said:
I've heard the levels reset with each new region, hence Pikachu's inconsistent strength when it should be nearing lvl100 by this point and owning most things on the planet.
Quickly OT, but if this is true it explains a lot. I'd say the same happens to Ash, but he has always been kind of...well, Ash.

Zippy

Super Elite
Son Goku said:
Pretty sure every Pokemon he has should be at least 60 by now, if not what's been going on ALL these years?!
Ash is still 10 it hasn't even been a year in the pokemon world
As for the question I say 10

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
I always thought it was the traditional Lv5 but then again Pikachu is the most haxed Pokémon in the anime seeing as it was able to take down a flock of Spearow, beat a Geodude despite the type advantage, and somehow beat an Onix (Water Sprinklers my ass) more than likely 8 but somehow levels up by 2 every time it wins a battle.

Those are the first of many of Pikachu's "Feats"

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Most likely 10. Oak deemed it more of a risk than the other starters, plus it's Spearow feat is damn impressive. It probably has massively high IVs in it's Speed stat too.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
The Pokémon Anime dropped so many important details set up in the first season. This is one of the reasons why they should have switched out Ash.

GnoMercy3k

This is for the very first episode of season one.

When Ash first got Pikachu, and through the next few episodes, I always got the impression that it was suppose to be at a higher level that the average starter Pokemon.

Assuming the levels in the show are comparable to the game up to Brock, what level do you see Pikachu? I say 10-12, which puts him above the wild pokemon in the area and Team Rocket. It also puts Pikachu on an even level with Onyx, but not high enough to overcome the rock/electric handicap the first f
From the very beginning, you can tell Pikachu is high level. At the very beginning, he doesn't obey Ash at all. Then, when they are attacked in the forest by the flock of spearow, Ash tries to protect Pikachu but in the end Pikachu saves Ash by using the ability Thunder, which is only able to be learned at level 43.
So, I'd say Pikachu was max level the whole time, and it didn't technically Display that, to show that a majority of the strength and focus of a pokemon came from the bond between them and their trainers, along with the experience of their trainer.