which half of yu-gi-oh! gx did u prefer?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
if u can & want to answer

for me i think i liked the more care-free, light-hearted 1st half of the series i think

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Same. I liked the monster-of-the-week format better than a season-long villain. Stuff just got too serious and meh. I wanted to know more about Duel Academy and shit, not whatever was copied from the original Duel Monsters seasons.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
For sure. The first two seasons are basically episodic villains and wacky adventures, but the third and fourth seasons get pretty dark with people being killed left and right toward the end. I've heard the manga is drastically different from the anime but I've never read that one.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
ye, toward the end the series got quite a-bit darker i think

even-tho initially that might not seem like there is a-lot of story for that, i think that when u see the last few episodes & so-on u might notice that the series has a sort-of coming-of-age theme to that. that's abt growing-up & stuff. wot's kind-of interesting is that i think the series in-universe time-line is almost similar to the real-world time, 3 years go by in-universe from beginning to graduation and the series lasted like 3 & a half years or so in real-time, so that might feel like growing-up with them.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
@Kenshi you read the GX manga? Might read it after Battle City if the anime is worse.
Never read much more than a volume or two of it since I never had any interest in GX, 5Dicks or anything after the original series. I read the original YGO manga (from Yugi first becoming friends with Jonouchi up to the end of the Millennium World saga) and the YGO-R spinoff, which are honestly the only ones you need to read unless you want to experience all the sequels for whatever reason.

If you want to just experience YGO in the quickest and most efficient way possible, I would just recommend you drop the anime after Battle City (as the Dartz filler gives you cancer and the final arc is adapted very poorly) and go back to the first 7 volumes of the manga (the pre-DK events), then skip ahead to volume 32 (start of Millennium World) which continues directly after Battle City and gives the series a pretty good conclusion other than the final duel having a few rule breaking moments @Super Saiyan

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's was gr9 i think i think (iirc)

also i think:

yu-gi-oh! vrains wasn't good tho i think. i didn't even rly watch that i think.