why did jounouchi not...

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
play copy-cat in battle-city anymore (iirc)?

that was 1 of the cards that could have done a-lot for him. he still tried to play giltia d. knight tho. :king :king :king

if any-1 can or wants to answer

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I think it's because the manga tried to follow OCG rules more closely by Battle City, and "just copying the name, attack points, and/or effects of any card on the field and graveyard" is basically a game breaking effect by the OCG rules. That, and wasn't Copycat a five- or six-star monster? It'd still come in handy with its Duelist Kingdom effect, but you can only have so many high-level monsters that require tributes in your deck if you want to summon monsters at the right time (and not get directly attacked because you had no monsters on the field).

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
copy-cat in the real-world game is 1 star i think but at the time i thought that was a good card. jounouchi also had the card in duelist-kingdom so i’m not sure why he couldn’t play that here & i think the card also specifically states original attack/defense points, meaning if the cards got more power through equipment cards or effect, like for example insect-queen iirc, that’s not counted. only “base” stats.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
Duelist Kingdom version: https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Copycat_(anime)

It's basically played as a Spell Card but is a 5-Star Effect Monster.

GX version: https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Copycat_(later_anime)

It was later errata'd to be a 1-Star Effect Monster that only copies ATK and DEF, not effects.

Manga version: https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/Copycat_(manga)

Same as the DK version.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Yeah, anime-wise I guess it was discarded because it required Tributes as a 5-star monster. Manga-wise... I have no clue. Guess it's because blatantly being able to copy Monster, Spell and Trap cards was reminiscent of the TRPG-style "make up my own rules" bullshit that Duelist Kingdom was so famous for.

Pyro

Elite
Staff member
Admin
To answer the question, this happens with plenty of cards that are handy but only used in one duel or one saga. Sometimes people just change their decks or styles.

But it's often just to introduce new cards so things don't get too stale.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Yeah, Summoned Skull for example got ditched straight after Atem's duel with the Exodia Rare Hunter in the anime despite having higher ATK than Red-Eyes and only requiring a single tribute (not to mention it was fusion material to summon Black Skull Dragon). In the manga it got straight up scrapped in favor of Beast of Gilfer, and even in later seasons of the anime it only got used in the Dartz filler arc and in Yugi's final duel against Atem (can't remember if it was ever in the Grand Championships filler).