Why didn’t Gohan turn SSJ2 seeing Spopovich vs Videl?

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
He clearly didn’t need to transform against suppressed Spopovich, so he’s transforming because he’s going berserk. If he’s so mad then why no SSJ2?

Some even theorize he had “residual anger” to use SSJ2 vs Kibito, yet it wasn’t enough for him to transform at the peak of his rage?

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
He obviously took a page out of Patrick's book.
"Why don't I just take my anger & push it to some-time else?
push-it-somewhere-else-spongebob.gif

Warmmedown

Elite
His anger was taking him towards SSJ2, but he was holding himself back due to the tournament rules, Goku telling him to stay calm, wanting to keep his disguise from Videl and his other classmates or something else.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
I think he still had some control over himself. So while he turned SSJ out of anger, he wasn't in a completely uncontrollable state where he'd just go SSJ2 snapping like his CGs self. It seems the transformation Vs Kibito wasn't instantaneous, it took some time and powering up, so I think that it urged his SSJ2 power back momentarily in a state where he had to put some effort to transform and couldn't benefit from any additional boost on top of the 2x multiplier like his CGs self imo did. Summarising, he kinda unlocked the mental state to tap into SSJ2 momentarily, but he still had enough control not to push up a note and go SSJ2.

Hector

High Class Warrior
It took Sixteen dying the first time. It wasn't so easy since he'd never trained the form.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
Like he's literally holding himself back trying not lose control. He barely makes it into SSJ.

Animelover5487

High Class Warrior
@ahill1 @Warmmedown but Gohan was out of control. The only reason he didn’t jump in was because Yamu called off the fight.
I wouldn't exactly call that "out of control". By the tournament's rules the fight was actually over after Spopovich knocked Videl out the ring and Gohan wouldn't have even needed SSJ or 2 to defeat Spopovich anyway.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I wouldn't exactly call that "out of control". By the tournament's rules the fight was actually over after Spopovich knocked Videl out the ring and Gohan wouldn't have even needed SSJ or 2 to defeat Spopovich anyway.

So why did he even transform then?

Videl was still on the ring. He was going to go up there and kill Spopovich. Even if the fight was over, going after someone in between fights isn't exactly "control".
0248-006.png

0248-007.png

Warmmedown

Elite
Two things I can think of:

He went SSJ by choice as a disguise, because nobody would recognise his blonde version.

Or he did go SSJ due to anger, but on the way to SSJ2 he was able to stop himself. Then the window for him to break through the SSJ1-SSJ2 barrier through anger alone had passed, but he was still angry enough to go and fight Spopovich.

Cirno777

Low Class Warrior
I always thought he was just THAT rusty, like the anger just wasn't coming out. Maybe if he killed Videl, idk.