Why the fuck is Tenshinhan partying, having a barbecue in Bulma's house and all?

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
I mean, Super is all friendly, everyone too close and partying and all, this silly friendly assemble (silly for the series it once was... I love gathering with my friends lulz)... But Tenshinhan is a lone wolf type. After the whole Cell thing, he announced he'd likely not see them again forever, without even a proper farewell... And as far as the original manga goes, he kept that up, only appearing for Gohan and Goku briefly to stall Bootenks. He never saw Yamcha, with who he spent several months in Kaio's planet, had a short lived rivalry with, and not every other Z warrior from part 1 he was closer with... Showing that so long as there's no threat, he isn't to stick along, he's the type to follow his path with Chaozu, train and (likely) farm... But then he's in Bulma's party, having a barbecue post fight... That's not like Tenshinhan at all.

Not even Piccolo... Piccolo became closer after merging with Kami, but he still spends most of his time on the temple and doesn't see the other warriors unless there's a need to. In Super it seems there's always those assemblings, while those warriors are way more like the lone wolf types.

In this regard, GT was more faithful to the characters imo. Tenshinhan barely made an appearance... And Piccolo was back to the hills, waterfalls meditating (which could be a little off from his Z self who seemed more acquainted with living in the temple, he even valued the place as shown when Boo destroyed that, but still more faithful than assembling and partying)....

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
He was also at the party in the BoG movie, was he not? That was written directly by Toriyama...

Out of universe, maybe AT had forgotten that Tenshinhan had separated from the group after the Cell Games. In universe, maybe after briefly reuniting with Gohan in the Boo arc, he became open to seeing the Z Senshi again now that he was growing older.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Compared to how Goku and Vegeta are acting nowadays, this one’s a welcome change.
I would say it's not consistent with the original portrayal. It's a change, but not consistent with the more lone wolf type they were before. Especially Tenshinhan who said he wouldn't see them any longer after the Cell arc as he only assembles when there's a looming threat. Outside of it, it's implied he follows his own path and seeks self improvement on his own, with gatherings, even more parties, not being like him at all.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
He wasn't exactly a lone wolf though. Chaozu was with him at all times, so Tenshinhan does value some social contact. Maybe they went out of their way to track him down and forced him to come along.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
He wasn't exactly a lone wolf though. Chaozu was with him at all times, so Tenshinhan does value some social contact. Maybe they went out of their way to track him down and forced him to come along.
Only Chaozu as it's his valuable friend. The others though, he only sees them as partners that he sticks along when there's a threat. The fact he didn't appear for 7 years and would likely never see them again, and Kuririn stating they couldn't track Tenshinhan for the 25th Budokai since he said he wouldn't see them again... For something important for them to fight like the old times with Goku there for just a day... It seems off to me that for a party they'd bother tracking him down, and Tenshinhan would bother being part of. There's basically not much contact between the Z warriors in peace times. Bulma stated Goku went to visit them 5 years ago at the end of Z... Goku just paid a visit to Roshi after 5 years after the 23rd Budokai despite their close ties throughout part 1, with them being unaware Goku had a kid and with Roshi even saying if he didn't call them they wouldn't come. It seems there's just not much interaction at all between the main cast besides Gohan paying a visit to his mentor Piccolo sometimes. Super just brought them way closer, even in parties which they were never shown to be in, making it more friendly, when the characters were very anti-social in general.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
Am I gonna have to ask for your permission before I go to any barbecues?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Yeah I don't think anyone is going to disagree that the characters in Super are all caricatures.

Maybe Tenshinhan mellowed out with age and stopped taking his life so seriously.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
Maybe Tenshinhan mellowed out with age and stopped taking his life so seriously.

Yeah I think that's some unintentional but neat character development. Dude was a loser running away from his friends to train and be the strongest, but he couldn't even surpass Kuririn of all people. Him having a school is nice too, he found a new purpose in life after accepting he'll never match Goku again.

This is much better than that 2000s interview when AT said he was a farmer in the middle of nowhere.

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
I guess optically, it's just nice to have a lot of the old school characters together in a peaceful period, allowing for fans to reminisce on earlier times.

Although he popped up once in a while, his principle was still largely in affect. Just got a little less strict about it I suppose.

BedroomBully

Low Class Warrior
Finally came to terms that he’s a weak
ass cookie cutter bald freak wasting away.

enjoying life like Yamcha is less stress.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
I guess optically, it's just nice to have a lot of the old school characters together in a peaceful period, allowing for fans to reminisce on earlier times.

Although he popped up once in a while, his principle was still largely in affect. Just got a little less strict about it I suppose.
Would you say something in the Boo saga in specific could have made him less strict about it? Maybe him noticing he didn't stick around during most of the conflict, making him value more the time spent together with others?

But yeah that seemed more like a Super trend for fans reminiscing the good times, as in the original manga following the end of Z, Toriyama made no efforts in showing Tenshinhan assembling and even shown at the end of Z... Which likely speaks to the change Toriyama wanted to appeal from the more cold interaction characters from the original. Though in-universe, maybe it'd be interesting to speculate in Super what sparked this change, but yeah I don't think there's much to pick in the speculate.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
The old DBZ movies would show Tien hanging out with the gang whenever they bothered to include him too. I think it’s just the Turles and Bojack movies though.

Spiral-Force

High Class Warrior
Staff member
Forum Moderator
Would you say something in the Boo saga in specific could have made him less strict about it? Maybe him noticing he didn't stick around during most of the conflict, making him value more the time spent together with others?

But yeah that seemed more like a Super trend for fans reminiscing the good times, as in the original manga following the end of Z, Toriyama made no efforts in showing Tenshinhan assembling and even shown at the end of Z... Which likely speaks to the change Toriyama wanted to appeal from the more cold interaction characters from the original. Though in-universe, maybe it'd be interesting to speculate in Super what sparked this change, but yeah I don't think there's much to pick in the speculate.

Let's divide it like this: primary and secondary

Primary - Tien deliberately being away

Perhaps he feels like a burden? Although he showed up in CG, he declined RoSaT training, and often describes how other fighters are levels above him. Imagine someone you were competitive with at some stage [Goku], needing to watch out for you getting one-shotted by whoever the next bad guy is. Just an idea that came to mind.

Secondary - Tien's occasional showings

Still having a bond with the team, as they've helped him in many ways, and he's helped out too, to be fair. You actually see Tien (+ Chiaotzu) in the group photo, post-10 years after Buu.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Let's divide it like this: primary and secondary

Primary - Tien deliberately being away

Perhaps he feels like a burden? Although he showed up in CG, he declined RoSaT training, and often describes how other fighters are levels above him. Imagine someone you were competitive with at some stage [Goku], needing to watch out for you getting one-shotted by whoever the next bad guy is. Just an idea that came to mind.

Secondary - Tien's occasional showings

Still having a bond with the team, as they've helped him in many ways, and he's helped out too, to be fair. You actually see Tien (+ Chiaotzu) in the group photo, post-10 years after Buu.
Fair enough.

Warmmedown

Elite
I wanna know if Launch is at the barbecue. And if not, is Chazou there? And if not...coincidence they're both off-screen at the same time?

I also wanna know how they invited him. Do they know where he is to invite him in person? Do they go to Dende's to ask where Tenshinhan is? (btw why didn't Kaioshin ask Dende where Babidi was?) Do they invite him in advance? If so, how does he know the date and time to leave, if he doesn't have a watch and lives in the desert? Does he have a cellphone?

We need Yajirobe at the party too. Yajirobe, Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks and Goten scoffing everything down.