Xenoverse 2 Tips

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I believe most of you played this game, right? I'm currently level 12 and obviously not far into the story. What's the best way to level up? It seems like there is quite a bit to do in this game outside of the main story.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
As of updates to the game from 2 years ago or so, you can now level up by giving Zeni or TP Medals to a Namekian with a beard near the central square of Conton City, though that's obviously a difficult task early game. The best method for a starting player is to do as many master lessons and timespace rift quests you can.

I take it you haven't played XV1? If not, that'll set progress back quite a bit as transferring data allowed for a 100TP Medal reward with you could use at the medal shop to buy Super Vanishing Ball (Pure Boo's ultimate). It's probably the best one if you knock your enemy into the ground and launch it immediately afterwards, preventing them from guard breaking you during the animation, having a wide AoE and helping offer a boost in exp. from how much damaging opponents with ultimates like this help boost the mission rank. In any case, get that ultimate as soon as you've got the necessary medals.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Nah I never played 1. Strangely 1 was $44 on PSN while 2 was $12. Thanks for the tip. I'll start saving the TP medals.

How do you get to do the master lessons?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
You'll find master characters around the city and more appear as you complete the various story arcs. It's always a significant character and they'll have a pink marker over their heads so you can't miss them. At the start of the game, you have Piccolo, Kuririn, Tenshinhan and Yamcha available, with more appearing as you complete more story arcs. You won't be able to complete your lessons with some until reaching a high enough rank at the academy (where Orange Star High School is, talk to Elder Boss Kaioshin to do the necessary exam battle). Another thing worth noting about the exams is that by completing each one with a Z rank, you unlock the Super Class exam and get the Potential Unleashed transformation by completing it, which is the most useful transformation for story and parallel quests (or at least it was. I've heard they buffed the Pure Majin form recently).

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Ranked up to 26 yesterday. Have been doing as many instructor lessons as possible. Should I be maxing out side quests and instructor battles before returning to the main story?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'd say do as many as you can so that you're well prepared (especially for the massive difficulty spike at the end of the Freeza Arc), though 26 is an appropriate level to continue further. Doing the time rift missions on Namek are ones you should do as soon as the alert comes up though as they offer benefits beyond level up such as powering up Shenron's wishes as well as increasing the level cap.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
What do the Dragon balls do in this game?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
They will unlock secret characters unavailable through any other method, being Hit, SS4 Gogeta, San Xing Long, Si Xing Long and Super Yi Xing Long. They also unlock rare items as well, though nothing too essential (though the crystal armour is really cool), can offer a boost in Zeni or medals or can have you change core elements about your character that you're not happy with such as changing their race or redistributing skill points.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
What do you recommend spending zeni on? Just levelling up?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Both levelling up and healing items mainly. There are a few Super Attacks worth buying too depending on what's available at the time if only having some very basic ones or if trying to eventually work towards the Get 50% of all Super Attacks trophy.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Why the hell would the villains choose Tullece and Slug to do their dirty work? :ha

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Jobber workers are still workers, I suppose. It is a bit strange that they didn't even go the DBH route of buffing them to the level they could prove a serious threat to the Time Patrol, their peak in the story mode maxing out at around 1st form Freeza's level or somewhat below initial True form Freeza.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I'm not finding it too bad. I'm enjoying it more than Fighter Z.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Not doubting that. Once I complete the main story I usually stop playing Dragon Ball games. Haven't touched Kakarot since January despite it being my favourite DB game of all time.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'll agree that it has more staying power than FighterZ (unless you could really be bothered dealing with the online in that game), though it definitely has far less of such than a lot of other DB games after completing its story with how clunky the controls are compared to Budokai 3, BT2/3 or Raging Blast 2 as well as Parallel Quests getting pretty repetitive and tedious fast beyond the gimmicks of Ultimate Finish requirements. It's at least infinitely better than XV1 for which there's no reason to play now unless for trophies/achievements and character customisation is good by enough I wouldn't call it a :trash game, though it definitely doesn't come close to the top tier of DB games.

Future Warrior

Elite
FighterZ is objectively the best DB game to date. I'm just not a fan of 2D competitive fighters so I only played for a few weeks after buying.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Hit rank 45 last night and it seems to be taking ages to rank up now. Is there a faster way to grind XP?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Have you done all the time rift quests (minus all of the Freeza Force ones that require a pretty significant level milestone)? Think I was Level 50+ in most of my playthroughs by the time I'd done most of them.

Beyond burning through Zeni and TP medals and having the bearded Namekian boost you, I'd say the best way is just the regular path of completing the story and parallel quests. You could potentially grind on the Parallel Quest called The Explosion of Namek as that's also the best place to grind for Dragon Balls.