How The Fandom Has Evolved

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
I remember in the 2000s everyone used to hate Krillin. In the 2010s and now in the 2020s, everyone hates Yamcha. Can anyone think of any other examples?

The_Authority

Low Class Warrior
I think that Dragon Ball Z's move from syndication onto Cartoon Network (via the Toonami block) created a lot of casual fans. Keep in mind that up to that point, most fans in the US (and likely other English-speaking countries, but I wouldn't know) only knew what they saw on TV. The internet was very primitive and there were two ways to watch the series: on TV or buying home video.

So, information was limited. Because of the internet, fans started opening up a little. We knew it was a Japanese series, we knew it was different than what we saw on TV. Occasionally, someone would run into the manga at a bookstore.

I think it was a very die hard, but yet, casual audience. Everyone I knew loved it, but most people didn't venture beyond what was on TV.

The Dragon Ball series ended its TV run in the US at a point where it was hard for casual fans to follow it when it wasn't on TV. So, a big cluster of fans just faded away. And the ones that stayed were into the series beyond just a casual experience.

Simultaneously, the Dragon Ball video games were in full swing, which added a different subset of fans to the franchise. The internet was becoming much bigger, home video releases became much more practical, and now there were fans that could discover Dragon Ball in a totally different way than just watching it on TV.

Then, in 2010, a new crop of fans emerged, as Kai was now a thing, bringing in a new, younger audience. Then again with Super.

So, Dragon Ball in the US had several different types of fans that it strung along over the years. And as the older fans age and young fans are added to this fandom, there seems to be a clash sometimes.

I think that the older fans are under the impression that the series should've grown up with them. They were kids when they first fell in love with the series, they're adults now, the series should've evolved. While I am a super OG fan, I don't look at it like that. It's not like the people working on the series were kids when we were kids. But, that's the chief complaint I see from older fans. They wish that Super was more sophisticated. The young fans will be as young people are: they like to troll and they're very loose and flippant with their ideas--which most of us were guilty of too at some point.

I've seen newer fans trying to apply modern views to the clasic series, such as Muten Roshi's behavior or the lack of diversity among the characters. These are excellent arguments for the modern product, but for the classic series, the world was a much different place. Not saying it was better, but there was definitely much less thought put into those topics. Roshi's antics were just a funny little gag (though, I'm not saying I was ahead of my time or anything, but I never cared for these things and felt that they were a waste of time if nothing else).

Honestly, what I really think it comes down to is exposure and knowledge of the product. In the past, there was much less of both. Access to the series--especially the Japanese version, interviews, written work, etc.--was very limited. So discussions in the past sought knowledge. "What did Toriyama say about this? What happened in that arc? Was there a difference in the manga to this? Was this filler or not?" Now, the fans who want knowledge have it at their fingertips, so discussions now seek analysis of knowledge. "What did he mean by this? What does this detail say about that? Why do you think this contradiction exists?"

Personally, I think that the series is way too simple and was not written with the mindfulness that it would be analyzed so heavily. I think it was written as "This will be fun here" and then it moved on. So, I don't like to participate in discussions over power levels, power scaling, etc. But, to those that do, I get it. There's only so much you can discuss about a series that you have at your fingertips. I'm in another camp that it seems like the Kanzenshuu founders are in: we now have all the knowledge we wanted, we're not interested in analyzing something that we don't think is there, so we focus on more behind-the-scenes things like home video releases, production updates, etc. But most importantly, it's just a nice big slice of pure fun nostalgia.

I have to say it: as awesome as it is having the series in so many forms so readily available, kids will never understand the fun in digging into a series and uncovering its mystique like back when the internet was a black background with bad JPEGs and text. Getting to discover the series was much more fun than the series itself.

Sorry for the essay.

DBZAOTA482

High Class Warrior
I remember in the 2000s everyone used to hate Krillin. In the 2010s and now in the 2020s, everyone hates Yamcha. Can anyone think of any other examples?
That was because it's like TFS said "Yamcha doesn't appear often enough". Krillin was a major player up till the Freeza arc despite being far weaker than pretty much any alien fighter, but I'm pretty sure most fans like Krillin even if they make fun of him.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
I think that Dragon Ball Z's move from syndication onto Cartoon Network (via the Toonami block) created a lot of casual fans. Keep in mind that up to that point, most fans in the US (and likely other English-speaking countries, but I wouldn't know) only knew what they saw on TV. The internet was very primitive and there were two ways to watch the series: on TV or buying home video.

So, information was limited. Because of the internet, fans started opening up a little. We knew it was a Japanese series, we knew it was different than what we saw on TV. Occasionally, someone would run into the manga at a bookstore.

I think it was a very die hard, but yet, casual audience. Everyone I knew loved it, but most people didn't venture beyond what was on TV.

The Dragon Ball series ended its TV run in the US at a point where it was hard for casual fans to follow it when it wasn't on TV. So, a big cluster of fans just faded away. And the ones that stayed were into the series beyond just a casual experience.

Simultaneously, the Dragon Ball video games were in full swing, which added a different subset of fans to the franchise. The internet was becoming much bigger, home video releases became much more practical, and now there were fans that could discover Dragon Ball in a totally different way than just watching it on TV.

Then, in 2010, a new crop of fans emerged, as Kai was now a thing, bringing in a new, younger audience. Then again with Super.

So, Dragon Ball in the US had several different types of fans that it strung along over the years. And as the older fans age and young fans are added to this fandom, there seems to be a clash sometimes.

I think that the older fans are under the impression that the series should've grown up with them. They were kids when they first fell in love with the series, they're adults now, the series should've evolved. While I am a super OG fan, I don't look at it like that. It's not like the people working on the series were kids when we were kids. But, that's the chief complaint I see from older fans. They wish that Super was more sophisticated. The young fans will be as young people are: they like to troll and they're very loose and flippant with their ideas--which most of us were guilty of too at some point.

I've seen newer fans trying to apply modern views to the clasic series, such as Muten Roshi's behavior or the lack of diversity among the characters. These are excellent arguments for the modern product, but for the classic series, the world was a much different place. Not saying it was better, but there was definitely much less thought put into those topics. Roshi's antics were just a funny little gag (though, I'm not saying I was ahead of my time or anything, but I never cared for these things and felt that they were a waste of time if nothing else).

Honestly, what I really think it comes down to is exposure and knowledge of the product. In the past, there was much less of both. Access to the series--especially the Japanese version, interviews, written work, etc.--was very limited. So discussions in the past sought knowledge. "What did Toriyama say about this? What happened in that arc? Was there a difference in the manga to this? Was this filler or not?" Now, the fans who want knowledge have it at their fingertips, so discussions now seek analysis of knowledge. "What did he mean by this? What does this detail say about that? Why do you think this contradiction exists?"

Personally, I think that the series is way too simple and was not written with the mindfulness that it would be analyzed so heavily. I think it was written as "This will be fun here" and then it moved on. So, I don't like to participate in discussions over power levels, power scaling, etc. But, to those that do, I get it. There's only so much you can discuss about a series that you have at your fingertips. I'm in another camp that it seems like the Kanzenshuu founders are in: we now have all the knowledge we wanted, we're not interested in analyzing something that we don't think is there, so we focus on more behind-the-scenes things like home video releases, production updates, etc. But most importantly, it's just a nice big slice of pure fun nostalgia.

I have to say it: as awesome as it is having the series in so many forms so readily available, kids will never understand the fun in digging into a series and uncovering its mystique like back when the internet was a black background with bad JPEGs and text. Getting to discover the series was much more fun than the series itself.

Sorry for the essay.
I appreciate Kanzenshuu for the info they put together and all the combined compilations of different things, but me, as an old fan, am not into that as I personally, and I think many others too, don't care much about off side things that aren't in the manga, like many and many guidebooks take on things, interviews from lots of ppl who participated into the series, and things that are a lot more out of universe in the sense of casting, characters dubbers, and that. I personally care way more about in universe, manga centered discussions. Those other things, the most I'd venture into is soundtracks... But even then, it isn't a conversation that can evolve that much. Either one will say what they liked about the soundtracks, but it's a matter of opinion, I don't think it can evolve much beyond "hmm I think this one fit better".

One thing I'd like out of universe would be analysing things from the old manga under new lens, like portrayal of certain jokes, portrayal of groups, and how, in retrospect, they would be seen nowadays. I think it isn't only a thing with new fans, I think many old fans think certain things weren't that well done, but understand that the time it was made in is a valid alibi for it.

And while I'm in agreement with the supported and endorsed view of the Kanzenshuu members, most members actually, on these more contentious topics, their approach is what I don't like, since there isn't respect for whoever has a different take. It seems that ppl posting there, even though they imo are in the right side, are emotional to the point of making a fool out of other's views and preferences which imo kills the point of the debate.

The Roshi thread for example... I think the gags are in bad taste and I wish it wouldn't be depicted. However, I also understand that time it was done, the culture and all of it play valid reasons for it being there and I have no problem with whoever appreciates it being there. I'd disagree but I wouldn't invest into it emotionally (unless the person said that I was being incongruent or inconsistent in not liking it, for example). There though, if you express that you appreciate the jokes in regards to the time it was made and don't think it is that condemning of a thing, there would be a swarming of members kinda ridiculing the person... Which is en environment that just makes ppl there who don't partake into a certain view 100% uncomfortable. So while it's nice they like to focus on these aspects, and even though I agree with the standard position there on these topics, the tune defended by the moderation to deal with whoever has a different approach is harsh and little conducive for these topics, as it seems they're created specifically to have a view reinforced and the other ridiculed.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Idk if you posted an image I can't see, but there are very normal DB fans. Many are weirdos or try harder but there are and there were lot of normal people. Normal judging by online interactions ofc.

Warmmedown

Elite
DBZF had a lot of normal people. I'm sure most are still DBZ fans.
DBZ fandom is huge, if we're not limiting to people on online dbz communities. So many offline people and sportspeople are DBZ fans.

I don't pay attention to the newer fans. But I think in-depth power level debates aren't so common with newer fans? Probably because they aren't on the platforms for it (whatsapp, reddit aren't great for back and forth walls of text with scans) and because Super makes less sense PL-wise.

I do think modern forums in general are more degen, which is something I've said before. Forums used to be much closer to the mainstream of social media, so you had a wider mix of people.

Красный Мистик

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff

Sorry for the essay.
This is the best post I've read all year. I appreciate your longevity.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
As someone who has been around dragonball fandom for over 20 years, everything just cycles.

The biggest change occurred when the west got access to the manga.

The_Authority

Low Class Warrior
I appreciate Kanzenshuu for the info they put together and all the combined compilations of different things, but me, as an old fan, am not into that as I personally, and I think many others too, don't care much about off side things that aren't in the manga, like many and many guidebooks take on things, interviews from lots of ppl who participated into the series, and things that are a lot more out of universe in the sense of casting, characters dubbers, and that. I personally care way more about in universe, manga centered discussions. Those other things, the most I'd venture into is soundtracks... But even then, it isn't a conversation that can evolve that much. Either one will say what they liked about the soundtracks, but it's a matter of opinion, I don't think it can evolve much beyond "hmm I think this one fit better".

One thing I'd like out of universe would be analysing things from the old manga under new lens, like portrayal of certain jokes, portrayal of groups, and how, in retrospect, they would be seen nowadays. I think it isn't only a thing with new fans, I think many old fans think certain things weren't that well done, but understand that the time it was made in is a valid alibi for it.

And while I'm in agreement with the supported and endorsed view of the Kanzenshuu members, most members actually, on these more contentious topics, their approach is what I don't like, since there isn't respect for whoever has a different take. It seems that ppl posting there, even though they imo are in the right side, are emotional to the point of making a fool out of other's views and preferences which imo kills the point of the debate.

The Roshi thread for example... I think the gags are in bad taste and I wish it wouldn't be depicted. However, I also understand that time it was done, the culture and all of it play valid reasons for it being there and I have no problem with whoever appreciates it being there. I'd disagree but I wouldn't invest into it emotionally (unless the person said that I was being incongruent or inconsistent in not liking it, for example). There though, if you express that you appreciate the jokes in regards to the time it was made and don't think it is that condemning of a thing, there would be a swarming of members kinda ridiculing the person... Which is en environment that just makes ppl there who don't partake into a certain view 100% uncomfortable. So while it's nice they like to focus on these aspects, and even though I agree with the standard position there on these topics, the tune defended by the moderation to deal with whoever has a different approach is harsh and little conducive for these topics, as it seems they're created specifically to have a view reinforced and the other ridiculed.
That's fair. Though, that's what I'm into. I think that my love for the series extends beyond its four corners. I do like a good music discussion.

I can get that some people feel that the Kanzenshuu crew gives off a bit of a "holier than thou" vibe. And while I think we've all been guilty of eyerolling posts in the name of having fun and being sucked into being a keyboard Warrior, I respect your view of them.

This is the best post I've read all year. I appreciate your longevity.
Thank you!
As someone who has been around dragonball fandom for over 20 years, everything just cycles.

The biggest change occurred when the west got access to the manga.
I think that the real biggest change was when the Japanese version became more available (in no small part thanks to Funimation including it on their home video release) and people who pretended to have watched the Japanese version actually got to do it.

ScottyFamalam

Low Class Warrior
The Roshi thread for example... I think the gags are in bad taste and I wish it wouldn't be depicted. However, I also understand that time it was done, the culture and all of it play valid reasons for it being there

They don't.

It was degenerate garbage back then and it's degenerate garbage now.

Likewise, Dragon Ball sucked back then and it sucks now.